Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm colorblind (moderate deuteranomalous) and, among other things, have a difficult time with blues and purples. I know that the colors with this game are notoriously bad. Fortunately, I'm able to see the difference between the blue and purple cities on the map (2nd edition). However, I'm completely unable to tell the difference between the blue and purple cubes that come with the game. Had to have someone else pick out the purple cubes so I could remove them.

At first I got this purple glitter paint that I hoped would help. While it adequately distinguished between the colors, the glitter would constantly shed and get everywhere, so a new solution was needed.

I ended up buying these lavender-colored cubes from Meeplesource: http://www.meeplesource.com/proddetail.php?prod=LavenderCube.... I was a bit unsure at first because the product picture looks pretty bright, but I just received them today and think they work wonderfully. They are still a bit brighter than the cities, but close enough that normal people can tolerate it (I think), and different enough that I can easily tell them apart from the blues.

I took some pictures. It appears a little better on the Western US map. The lighting is a bit poor, but I think it gives the right idea:

Eastern US Map:

Western US Map:

Unfortunately you have to buy either 10 or 50, but it's pretty cheap, and they have some other cool stuff on their website that I also got to spread out the shipping. Posting it here in hopes this might help some of you other folk that have problems with the colors, whether you're colorblind or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the size? In my copy of Railroad Tycoon the cubes are 10 mm. The ones from Meeplesource are advertised as 8 mm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pawnpusher wrote:
What about the size? In my copy of Railroad Tycoon the cubes are 10 mm. The ones from Meeplesource are advertised as 8 mm.

Oh, well that sucks! They only appear to sell 8mm and matches perfectly with the 8mm ones I have from RotW. I guess I got lucky on that one.

You could, of course, replace all your cubes with 8mm's, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
How do the lavender cubes compare to the yellow ones in low light?

I tried substituting some pink ones I had for purple and the color contrast was great until the lighting dimmed. (I was playing in a bar next to a window. We started the game while there was still plenty of daylight. After the last bit of twilight had vanished, it got hard to differentiate some colors.)

I'm thinking an advantage of 8mm cubes is that they use less space on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pawnpusher wrote:
I'm thinking an advantage of 8mm cubes is that they use less space on the board.

You don't have enough space on the board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
bbhalla wrote:
pawnpusher wrote:

You don't have enough space on the board?

I live in Texas, and by our standards it is a small board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pawnpusher wrote:
How do the lavender cubes compare to the yellow ones in low light?

I tried substituting some pink ones I had for purple and the color contrast was great until the lighting dimmed. (I was playing in a bar next to a window. We started the game while there was still plenty of daylight. After the last bit of twilight had vanished, it got hard to differentiate some colors.)

I'm not sure how they would look in low light, although I'd imagine it'd have to be pretty darn dark to have a difficult time differentiating between yellow and pink/lavender. I'll try it out when I get home later tonight. I feel like it wouldn't be much different from pink, and such a situation should be quite an outlier, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
The pink and yellow cubes both looked to be about the same shade of gray in the dimmed lighting, and the yellow and gray cities looked the same as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob M.
United States
College Park,
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same problem. Fixed it by using a permanent marker and putting little black dots on the center of two, opposite, sides of the purple cubes.

Very quick, very easy.

Aesthetic? Not a big deal, the dots are little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.