Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Pay 2 energy to do a Deep Scan.
It is exactly the same as a regular scan except you may spin the tile placement how ever you like without regard for the symbols.

I actually would prefer this ability attached to a ship. Perhaps a tier 2 ship that lets you do a Deep Scan for 1 energy (obviously only once per turn as it is exhausted)

Wakrob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it mechanically, it's a bit thematically wonky though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like it as a ship ability. It sets up this "Lord of the Game" dynamic, where you have more influence over the game state than other players. I've gamed with people that would relish this kind of exclusivity and would do everything they can to maximize how they lord over the other players. That's not fun.

So it would have to be something that all players can do.

I don't think energy is a proper resource to be spending on this. On the plus size you're going to get your entire map put out about as fast as possible, because people are going to want to control and shape the board. So if that's ideal for you, okay, go ahead and playtest it that way.

Cody presented a way to utilize Ember in a great way. Though I'm not sure if it will make the final cut for the expansion. However I think that's a great way to do this. You can spend an Ember cube to do this. That makes this expensive, and therefore rare, but this is an extremely powerful ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
happyjosiah wrote:
I like it mechanically, it's a bit thematically wonky though.

Yeah, I left out the flavor text. I figure you could rationalize it as plotting out the best wormholes and jump points. The map is abstract to some degree unless space is really this full of junk in the area.

I suppose I could read up on how big an area the game represents and the means of travel (warp, jumps, wormholes...etc)

Wakrob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Trumbo
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it balance a bit better if, instead of choosing any orientation, you could instead choose to line up the tile with any symbol on any adjacent tile, as opposed to lining up only from the tile you're scanning from? Unless you have a really weird hole in the map that will likely give you two-three options at best so you don't have a ridiculous amount of control over the shape of the map, but enough to make it interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.