Pandora's Box» Forums » Sessions

Subject: a few more thoughts on this... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Its been a few years since we discussed this game; and since then Ive played it a few more times with several groups. Its been a couple years so I am going from memory.

One thing we did which really did help was to randomize the initial draw of stones.I forget what the original rules call for; but we play the game with six stones each. Except instead of 3 white/3 black, we have the players draw blindly six stones, so the distributions you get are varied.

YOu might think this is too random, but it creates a very interesting dynamic: it is very much in your interest to trade because you need to gain more information about the lay of the land. SOme people in one group seemed to do much better than others; but I am not sure exactly how they did it. Some of them were really calculating.

Also another idea that just came up one day was to play in partners. We played a six player with 3 teams of partners. we actually used a special pandora chip in this one, which I think allowed you to negate a trade. And it scored additional pts. Its been awhile since we played and I dont have my notes in front of me so I forget how we scored it.

ANyhow this turned out to be pretty interesting as you swapped hands with your partner in order to figure out what he had; and then try to bluff others as to what you are holding. It actually was really fun and I think because the game is very socialable.

For one thing you are always touching hands with another person. And the game is light and funny and a bit dramatic at the end when you see what is left in the box. The idea of partnerships seems to enhance this social aspect.

Well that's all for now. Its really fascinating concept Ben has in here and I wanted him to know it is not forgotten. And several of my game groups do know about the game. It doesnt hit the table much recently, but I am hoping to restart it again. it has a lot going for it: time, factor, fun, easy, very sociable, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ajoy
Ecuador
Quito
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find this interesting. Specially the idea of playing with partners. Did you say "3 couples"? So a couple, discusses and agrees on which other couple to exchange with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
No actually it was even simpler, just six people sitting at the table, and we were paired off: a, b, c, a, b, c. Each letter represents a couple. So the jar is passed around like normal, and each player decides whether to trade or not. each player has has own hand, I have a hand my partner has another. as mentioned above, we like to randomize the hands somewhat, so we give every one like one white/one black, but then each player draws four more randomly so you could start with 5 black/1 white..

Its the same base rules. Only difference at the end was that you combine your total chips together with your partner to come up with your score. It made sense to trade with your partner early in order to figure out what you had. BUt after one partner trades then the other one doesnt need to trade back with him he can trade with a different person or just keep.

I think we used two red chips in this game and the red chip allowed you to negate a trade, but you had to put it into the jar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.