Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't Legendary game series a success for Upper Deck? I mean, the Owned numbers are huge on BoardGameGeek across the board for Legendary games.

The game costs quite a lot too for what is essentially a playing surface and decks of cards.

It just seems incomprehensible to me. Great artwork would increase sales and word of mouth in many ways and end up with higher sales for the game.

I mean it is 2016, it is no excuse for a game to look this ugly.

Not only did they do one bad call, but they made THREE bad calls:

* Incredibly mediocre artwork
* Inconsistent artwork
* Not learning a lesson after Legendary Encounters (which had better, but also very inconsistent artwork)
9 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ynaca eco licario
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm not buying it due to this issue.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ynaca wrote:
I'm not buying it due to this issue.



Then you are doing yourself an injustice.

The game is very good and well worth buying.

Just look past the "pictures." Which aren't all bad. Most are fine. Wash and Inara are the biggest offenders. But this is what happens when they don't have rights to the actual show, just the name.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In reply to the header -

I find your conclusion faulty.

I do not believe sales and art work have any connection.

It is a great game.

Sales of it are strong.

It has some poor art on a few cards.

Those are all separate issues.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Unfortunately, the majority of people who are buying it will have no idea about the art until it's too late, they've already opened and started sorting the game.

It has some poor art on a few cards. It also has some absolutely terrible art on more cards. It has mediocre art on the rest. It really is terrible, and makes my heart hurt a little bit.

As for the other Legendary Encounters games, I felt that the art was fine. It wasn't great, but none of it was really terrible. I was never taken out of the game because of the art quality. With Firefly, I'm constantly being taken out of the moment because of the art.

I believe very firmly that Upper Deck was more concerned about having this game released for Gen Con than they were about fixing the issues. It's a real shame, because even though I didn't care for LE: Predator very much, I always assumed that I would be buying every Legendary Encounters game, but after this, I just don't know.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly UD know the system, Legendary, and the theme, Firefly, are super popular and they know many people would buy it anyway regardless how little money they obviously put into the artwork. There is no way people at Upper Deck looked at this game and said, "Yea, that looks darn good", they said more than likely, "Ok, it could be better but go ahead and ship".

Add me to another that won't be buying it.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not buying it purely because of the art, which I find horrendous.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Speak your issues with your wallet and forum posts.

Be sure to let Upper Deck the art is keeping you from buying it, and then continue to support that theory by not buying it unless there's a change.

It's unfortunate that there may never be a change, but this issue happening is also why we have a ton of crappy movies out there. People still speak with their wallets and go to see them, crappy or not.

Don't buy a crappy looking game.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rygel wrote:
But this is what happens when they don't have rights to the actual show, just the name.


What? So poor art happened because they dont have rights to the show?

Did they just tell the artists they wanted a guy with short red hair and a girl with longer black hair, and let them have their own artistic expression without any reference to go by?

This was by far the most ignorant reasoning I've seen for this art. I'd almost peg you for one of the artists trying to cover your crap work.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rygel wrote:
I do not believe sales and art work have any connection.


Not strictly true. The experience of a game is in part a product of it's aesthetics. We know this is true, otherwise game companies wouldn't even bother making nice miniatures, good looking art, pleasant feeling boards, etc. Of course it has SOME impact.

I get that you like the game. That much is clear. But when you are on the fence with a purchase, as I am with this one (I already have SO much Legendary product that never sees play due to setup time), it can cause you to not want to pull the trigger.

I know for a fact it's costing them at least one sale. So I KNOW it's having an impact, albeit it potentially small. Just depends on how many people like me there are out there. I for one hope we don't end up sending the message of "Don't even bother making your game look good, they'll buy it as long as it's just a good game". This works for you. I like to actually enjoy looking at my game.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:
Rygel wrote:
I do not believe sales and art work have any connection.


Not strictly true. The experience of a game is in part a product of it's aesthetics. We know this is true, otherwise game companies wouldn't even bother making nice miniatures, good looking art, pleasant feeling boards, etc. Of course it has SOME impact.

I get that you like the game. That much is clear. But when you are on the fence with a purchase, as I am with this one (I already have SO much Legendary product that never sees play due to setup time), it can cause you to not want to pull the trigger.

I know for a fact it's costing them at least one sale. So I KNOW it's having an impact, albeit it potentially small. Just depends on how many people like me there are out there. I for one hope we don't end up sending the message of "Don't even bother making your game look good, they'll buy it as long as it's just a good game". This works for you. I like to actually enjoy looking at my game.


Agreed.

I was planning on purchasing this at GenCon until I saw some of the art.

That's at least 1 guaranteed sale they had that was changed due to art. I'd say that is a connection wouldn't you?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Dill
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, was on the fence about the game because of the horrendous art work. I eventually pulled the trigger and it turned out to be an excellent (and difficult at 3 players) game that I am glad I broke down and bought.

It is incredibly thematic, although there are production decisions that I am still not sure why they made them (i.e. only 5 Browncoats - next time I am stealing the sergeant cards from Aliens). The art work still bugs me though - I cringe when certain cards show up on the bridge.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is that this isn't 2005. There are amazing games that come out on a seemingly monthly basis nowadays that compete for our hobby dollar. Do I but another Legendary game, one that looks FREAKING TERRIBLE... or do I buy Scythe? Or Time Stories? Or Via Nebula? Or Mare Nostrum? Or Star Wars: Rebellion? Or Tyrants of the Underdark*?

These are all games I've bought in the last two months, and I love literally all of them and MOST* of them have incredible art and are really pleasing aesthetically to look at when everything is set up. But my wife is starting to look sideways at me; I gotta draw the line at some point. In 2005, I would've bought Legendary: Firefly without hesitation. Not only was the show more relevant, but the boardgame industry was less competitive... and I didn't already have 12 other Legendary games, but that's really besides the point.

We took what they gave us back then.





*another terribly ugly game, but the setup up is a quarter the length of Legendary, and it's not a "re-mod" of a game I already have.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Capo
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe is a case of a rushed out product to meet Gencon deadline. As both Firefly and Big Trouble in Little China, released at about same time for Gencon, have the worst art than any previous Legendary game.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I cancelled my pre-order when I saw the artwork for this game...
The game seems to be good though. So it's a pity I won't play it, but instead I'll just play one of my games that both plays good and looks good.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
The game costs quite a lot too for what is essentially a playing surface and decks of cards.


depends what you're comparing it to.

How much would it cost to buy a similar playing surface for Magic: the Gathering, and 500 cards?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Lamb

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:

How much would it cost to buy a similar playing surface for Magic: the Gathering, and 500 cards?


I was prepared to get all ranty and ravey because I think some of you are being ridiculous.... but I'm not going to do that.

The answer to Jay's question is $200. Full retail for 500 Magic The Gathering cards (in 10 card booster packs) is $200. You can probably save some if you buy in bulk, but that is what good art costs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Little
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Null Field wrote:
And the funny thing is that the general consent on BGG is that art is always better than production stills... shake


There is an exception to every rule.

I just wish that they had chosen to create the exception with a different game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim C.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahah Oh my goodness some of the art in this game! laugh I can't believe people are defending it. It's like they had no budget and asked their artist aspiring kid to do pieces for this game and gave them 5 dollars for each piece. I've seen 30 minute speed sketches that look way better than these.

You'd think a company like Upper Deck could do a lot better than this.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, maybe I'm completely crazy (I even shun the south of France*... ) or maybe I just haven't seen enough of the art, but what I have seen seems very stylized with a definite comic bookish vibe, which I kind of dig.

* I have nothing against any part of France, this is a reference to The Who song Blue Red and Grey.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess some of you misunderstand the question I posed in the original post.

My question was not about buying or not buying because of bad artwork.

My question was really simple, I just worded it awkwardly: Are the sales of Legendary games SO BAD, that they cannot afford better artwork?

Because it makes no sense. Legendary games are really popular and sell well. Why can't they afford better artwork? I mean less known Kickstarter companies or even regular small publishers are able to hire quality artists without issues. There are A LOT of great artists out there that would love to work on something like Firefly.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
I guess some of you misunderstand the question I posed in the original post.

My question was not about buying or not buying because of bad artwork.

My question was really simple, I just worded it awkwardly: Are the sales of Legendary games SO BAD, that they cannot afford better artwork?

Because it makes no sense. Legendary games are really popular and sell well. Why can't they afford better artwork? I mean less known Kickstarter companies or even regular small publishers are able to hire quality artists without issues. There are A LOT of great artists out there that would love to work on something like Firefly.


Of course not. Sales are fine. They aren't cutting corners because they need to, they're cutting them because they think they can and we'll buy anyways.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rygel wrote:
Just look past the "pictures." Which aren't all bad. Most are fine. Wash and Inara are the biggest offenders. But this is what happens when they don't have rights to the actual show, just the name.


The art isn't anywhere near "fine" for me. The images with no characters are tolerable, though I actually found 1 or 2 good ones. The characters are inexcusable at least and nauseating at worst. There's a growing list of us who won't touch this game despite our love of Firefly and/or deckbuilders because some of us really want to enjoy the full experience in a game. If I'm going to dedicate 60 - 90 minutes of my life to looking at cards, I want them to be pleasant to look at.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Null Field wrote:
brendover wrote:
Null Field wrote:
And the funny thing is that the general consent on BGG is that art is always better than production stills... shake


There is an exception to every rule.

I just wish that they had chosen to create the exception with a different game.


True, but this is hardly the first game with bad art. I own GF9's Firefly game which uses production stills and that game looks miles better than this game. I also stayed away from buying the LE Alien deck-builder as well because of bad art.


Gale Force 9 had more or less no artwork because of the stills, but they had really good graphic design to cards and the board that fit the theme of Firefly incredibly well.

Legendary Firefly is just horrible. I mean, if artwork would be good, this game would sell so much better. I am anyway bothered by the fact that Legendary games have that horrible generic card back - the idea to mix different themes sounds ridiculous to me - but visually it does not look Firefly.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
ferris1971 wrote:
Of course not. Sales are fine. They aren't cutting corners because they need to, they're cutting them because they think they can and we'll buy anyways.


Sales are fine now, with the game... what, less than a month from initial release.

Good or bad artwork most likely won't help a game before or during its initial release. It impacts the sales of the game down the road once the word gets out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.