Subject: Questions on "Activate" for a card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tato
United States
Las Vegas
Nv
flag msg tools
Question A: Do you have to "Activate" a card's Activate text or can you choose not to?

Example: Sharing a Kiss, Inara's card says: Activate: Heal a Crew Strike from another main character. You draw a Crew Strike.

1. Can I choose not to activate this text?

Question B: DO you follow the Activate text even if there is no trigger?

Example: Sharing a Kiss, Inara's card says: Activate: Heal a Crew Strike from another main character. You draw a Crew Strike.

2. If no main characters have a Crew Strike, does this cause the text not to trigger?

Question C: In a multiplayer game, if I am the only main character with a Crew Strike, can I activate the card on myself?

Example: Sharing a Kiss, Inara's card says: Activate: Heal a Crew Strike from another main character. You draw a Crew Strike. (If you're the only player, you may heal yourself and then draw a new Strike.)

The "may" part seems to imply that I have a choice, which makes me ask all the above questions. It would make sense that I can use the heal abilities on myself when there are no other hurt players on the Crew.

3. Do you think it should have been written: (If you're the only player "with a Crew Strike", you may heal yourself and then draw a new Strike.)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Mann
South Korea
Seoul
Seoul Teukbyeol-si
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mandoralion wrote:
Question A: Do you have to "Activate" a card's Activate text or can you choose not to?

1. Can I choose not to activate this text?

Question B: DO you follow the Activate text even if there is no trigger?

2. If no main characters have a Crew Strike, does this cause the text not to trigger?

Question C: In a multiplayer game, if I am the only main character with a Crew Strike, can I activate the card on myself?

Example: Sharing a Kiss, Inara's card says: Activate: Heal a Crew Strike from another main character. You draw a Crew Strike. (If you're the only player, you may heal yourself and then draw a new Strike.)

The "may" part seems to imply that I have a choice, which makes me ask all the above questions. It would make sense that I can use the heal abilities on myself when there are no other hurt players on the Crew.

3. Do you think it should have been written: (If you're the only player "with a Crew Strike", you may heal yourself and then draw a new Strike.)?

1/A: Activate abilities are completely optional. Most other cards have you activate their abilities upon hitting the table, but activate abilties can be used any time during the Action Phase in which the corresponding cards are played.

2/B: "Trigger" might not be the best word to describe it. The trigger for an activate ability is the player declaring that they are using the ability. But to answer what I think you are asking, yes, you can activate regardless of whether there is a valid target for the ability, but then you have to ask yourself why you would do that. River has a card that defeats Shinies and Wash has a card that can scan the left-most card if it's hidden, both of which can be used even if they would have no effect, but if you are in a situation in which the effect would be void, why would you bother?

3/C: No, you can't use the card on yourself in a multiplayer game. The card is seemingly designed for you to use on other main characters. The "may" included in the parentheses means you have the option of using it on other characters just like in a multiplayer game, but there is also the expanded option of healing yourself in a single-player game. If the "may" was not in the sentence, then you would no longer have the option of healing other main characters in a solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.