Subject: Everybody at the Zoo was Kung Fu Fighting... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Wiser
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gone are the days of hearing words like, "Grasshopper.", "You're Kung Fu is not strong.", and "Wax on, Wax off.". Forgotten is the days of sitting in front of a TV that took four grown men to pick up and four or five stations to choose from and more so those great old Kung Fu theater shows we use to watch. However if you are reading this and asking yourself just how old is this guy or better yet, you are smiling and shaking your head knowing what I am talking about, walk with me and let me tell you a tale...of Kung Fu...of animals...

I walked down the road seeking perfection but found myself lacking. My animal instincts I could not resist and flicking die I must inflict. My time with Kung Fu Zoo was short but left me wanting more. Till this day I think back at the flick of my die and how all my training had lead me to this...to the wooden cage and all that had come to be. Wait, what? You have no idea about Kung Fu Zoo? That would make sense on why you keep shaking your head. Well step right up and let me introduce to you...the rage in the cage, the finger flickin fun that is Kung Fu Zoo...

KUNG FU ZOO. A game of Kung Fu fighting and flicks of lightning. Where the fur flies inside the wooden cage and screams of, "I got next." and "Great shot." mix within the sea of laughter that eruptes when a die is shot be it master or pupil. You will find yourself wondering what you got yourself into when you step into the wooden cage of Kung Fu Zoo and you will be left wanting more when you step out thinking to yourself, I am one with the die, I have no equal...until the next game and you are left wondering where all that training and self help philosophy went.

In Kung Fu Zoo, you, yes you, take part in a after hours event at your local zoo where Kung Fu fights and fun flow plenty. You step into the wooden cage with the animal of your choosing armed only with the one weapon in which there is no stopping...your finger. Flicking of die at this time will ensue and before you know it the fight will be over. Your team of four will either be looked upon as the champs or chumps depending on the outcome. However worry not young grasshopper, for games play fast and furious so there is always a next time and more than likely your comeback as champ is but a few flicks away.

This game is one that I can see almost anyone having fun. I say that as all you need is the will and desire to have fun and this game will provide it and than some. While the very young may have a hard time flicking the die with consistency this is a game that they will grow into. As for us more "experienced" masters/pupils, I can not express how fast this game plays. Kung Fu Zoo plays fast, is easy to learn, and fun for all ages. This game is one of those titles that people talk about all the time in that they just want something they can pull out and play. Set up and take down in less than five minutes, fun for all ages, and good times had by all, yes, please and thank you.

I do have to say that these impressions of Kung Fun Zoo come after playing this title with its creator, Mr. Price, at Gen Con. I played maybe a handful of games and that was all I needed, I was hooked. Before going to Gen Con I showed my wife, Sarah, a teacher of 20+ years, Kung Fu Zoo on BGG and she said that not only would she like to play but her kids would really enjoy this and the rest is history as my wife is not so much a gamer as I am but when she says she would like to play something I listen and more times than not makes for a great title (and this is maybe her third or fourth title that she has spoken up about in our years together.). This is a title Sarah will take with her for her class to enjoy as it meets what she wants to see in a title in that of fun and ease of play. Kung Fu Zoo draws you in with the hands on experience , embraces you with its ease of play, and leaves you wanting to play more with its fast gameplay.

Thank you, Mr. Price, it was an honor to have met you and for you to introduce me to your game, Kung Fu Zoo. Your game is one that we see as being a Must Buy and as I stated at Gen Con, IF Kung Fu Zoo was sold at Gen Con it would be my best game of Gen Con 2016. Sarah and I both look forward to the day we are able to purchase a copy of Kung Fu Zoo and another copy for her to use in her class for many years to come.

Closing note: I was going to post this as a review however I feel that my view on this title is so pro for that it best just be put in as General. That and my "review" is more of a trip down memory lane and based on factors such as my wife and her excitement for said title. Yes, these things do influence ones view and I do not want to take away anything from Kung Fu Zoo as it does not need myself nor my wife to verify what a solid title this is. In truth I can see Kung Fu Zoo in stores like Wal-Mart and Target where truth be told it should be for everyone to add into their collection (see, told you I was very pro for.). That and my review experience, well, needs more experience...LOL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaldo Horta Jr
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to be contrary but I hope I never see this at Target or Walmart. To make this mass market too many compromises would have to be made. I am looking forward to a nice wooden game with nice dice. If going to a big company turns this into a plastic board, I will probably not be interested anymore....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wiser
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not at all. I fully agree with you that the wood really makes this game shine and I would not want to see it changed. My only thought on this selling at big box stores is that this game is one that I see being a nice, light, fun family game and deserves to be sold to the masses...only in wood form just as it was meant to be.

With that being said I understand what you mean by what can happen to it if a company like MB did pick it up but may I also say that other companies, while not changing the wood aspect, may want to change other things so it is not just a MB/big box store thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaldo Horta Jr
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnwiser wrote:
Not at all. I fully agree with you that the wood really makes this game shine and I would not want to see it changed. My only thought on this selling at big box stores is that this game is one that I see being a nice, light, fun family game and deserves to be sold to the masses...only in wood form just as it was meant to be.

With that being said I understand what you mean by what can happen to it if a company like MB did pick it up but may I also say that other companies, while not changing the wood aspect, may want to change other things so it is not just a MB/big box store thing.

You know, maybe if this was a Pretzel/Zman release. Then the Pretzel games version would be the nice wooden one on a turntable and then Zman could make the cheaper mass market plastic version, like the Flick Em Up treatment....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Price
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnwiser wrote:
Thank you, Mr. Price, it was an honor to have met you and for you to introduce me to your game, Kung Fu Zoo. Your game is one that we see as being a Must Buy and as I stated at Gen Con, IF Kung Fu Zoo was sold at Gen Con it would be my best game of Gen Con 2016. Sarah and I both look forward to the day we are able to purchase a copy of Kung Fu Zoo and another copy for her to use in her class for many years to come.

Thank you, John. It was great meeting you, as well. And thank you for the kind words and enthusiastic post! I'm hoping to have some release news very soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.