Landships! Tactical Weapons Innovations 1914-1918» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A New Excalibur rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrei Shlepov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
We played Star Fluxx, Star Munchkin, Dixit, and, of course, Bomb Alley.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the sixth scenario of Landships! I played against
Palatkin Dmitry
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
, and it provides a good material for AAR in a number of ways. It represents an advent of tanks into game system while at the same time depicting their real-world appearance in September 1916. With 100th anniversary looming large, it’s only fitting to give a pictorial account!

This scenario is actually based upon two actions: tank debut at Flers-Courcelette on September 15th, 1916, and 2nd Lt. Storey’s heroics eleven days later at Gueudecourt. The British player must take all town hexes of Chambley to win.
After a barrage and a bomb run from Salmson 2, three Mk.I male tanks came rumbling from the north trampling wire as they went. Meanwhile, 2nd Lt. Storey went from the west in his Mk.I female tank, intending to ramble down the street in Chambley and win a DSO.

The British elements of 14th and 41st Divisions are taking losses but grimly march on Chambley through wire and German barrage.

Mk.I male tanks eliminate one MG nest after another. Germans in Chambley are in dire straights, being bombed by Salmson 2, attacked by British infantry and frightened by Storey’s Mk.I female tank which is broken down by MG fire but heroic officer is able to repair it!

OK, the Brits took Chambley by storm but they have to hold it against the onslaught of German reinforcements which already start to appear. Two German Fokker E1 fighters challenge Salmson 2 but a Vickers Gunbus flies to the rescue! One German and sole British fighter are down in the ensuing dogfight, as is Salmson 2.

Carnage in Chambley continues as tanks are difficult to steer, and the Brits are hard-pressed. But their comrades are coming to the rescue from the west.

The Germans use flamethrowers to eliminate British killing stack in Chambley. Meanwhile, their comrades coming from the north are harassed by tanks.

Next, the Germans score a big hit eliminating Lt. Storey and his tank! I bet wily Dmitry hid flamethrower counter under another so as not to scare me away!

The British are beset from all sides in Chambley as one of their tanks breaks down under MG fire.

British reinforcements have arrived at Chambley, and it’s now time to one last push!

With both sides exhausted and Chambley still contested, the scenario ends. The Brits haven't held Chambley unopposed for three consecutive turns so they haven’t won. But they held Chambley for a moment so they’re not at loss, either. This is a draw.

Well, probably that’s how it should’ve ended so as not to spoil the debut of tanks. To win, the Germans should’ve declared more barrages in the (vain) hope some of them won’t be ignored. And the British should’ve sent Storey to the south of Chambley to prevent German reinforcements from reaching the town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo Caraher
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Outstanding AAR.
Almost as good is what I assume is a jigsaw dice tower. Cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Shlepov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for reading!

Yep, it's a veteran construction serving with distinction in many battles after we beat up the previous plastic one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hecker
Australia
Kallista, jewel of the Dandenongs
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this - I feel inspired to open Landships again and try some of the later scenarios.

Something odd is happening here. Finished off a solo game of Reds!, and Tide at Sunrise is in play. I must be sensitive to inspiration from Russia at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Shlepov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wait till we get to 17.14 Scenario "Rip the Front!" with Whippets from the Australian 6th Battalion or 17.16 Scenario "The Race To Damascus" with the 3rd Australian Light Horse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hecker
Australia
Kallista, jewel of the Dandenongs
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to it, my son, go to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.