11 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: players card hand rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Reyes
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Me and my wife just started to play a few games. We also play pandemic. So with that game we play with our hands showing. Do we play with our hands showing or not. The table talk section says not to. Just curious how other people play.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brooks
United Kingdom
Shoeburyness
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmb
I always show my hand.

I'm not sure others would agree though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We also show our hands. It IS a cooperative game after all.

However I have seen others claim the hands should be hidden. Table talk is permitted by these people. The idea behind it is that this allows for poor communication thus mimicking another aspect of what happens in a real life scenario. This seems to me to be a good argument. But not compelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoyan Taskonidis
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinion is, that knowing other players hand decrease significantly the difficulty level of the game.
Seeing what events/allies etc. hold the other players ease your decisions and assignments of characters through every phase of the game. But If you play some really challenging quests I think It's unavoidable to look at other players hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Roskam
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are clear that you are not to show your hand - Table talk is not forbidden, but you are not supposed to even name the cards in your hand, much less show them.

Of course, anyone can make their own house rules - we play open handed whenever we are teaching a new player, for example.

So why play normally with closed hands?

1) It adds to the difficulty of decision making, not knowing what someone else might play (i.e. "oh man, I was going to play Gandalf this turn!")

2) Asking vague questions like "Could someone help me kill this guy?" or "avoid this monster?" is fun to do, and deciding whether to trust that what someone offers will be enough to resolve a problem you may have is a neat part of a co-op experience.

3) The most compelling reason for playing closed handed is to avoid the alpha gamer who, with knowledge of everyone's hands, tells everyone else what they should do to maximize their play, which sucks the fun out of the room.

When you are first starting to play, I think it is fine to play open handed - but moving towards closed will usually make the game better IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's a problem to play with open hands, if you don't have an alpha gamer. Otherwise, closed hands do ensure that people are responsible for playing their own cards, instead of letting the table dictate their moves.

I think the table talk rule is asinine, however. It just leads to people coming up with different ways of naming their cards, such as referring to a "grey Istari companion" instead of just saying Gandalf. If you're playing with closed hands, and you want to let the table know that you have a Sneak Attack/Gandalf combo ready to go, just say so. Don't do this dumb little dance of coming up with code words for your cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing with others, we hold our hands as normal but table talk is a must. "Do you have X?" "Oh wait, don't do that, I can pop out a sneak Gandalf if we need" "Before I flip this, you have a Test of Will, right?" "I am loaded up on dwarves, my friend, but no axe"

So, are our hands secret? Not really. We chat to each other about the highlights of our hands
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mwroskam wrote:
The rules are clear that you are not to show your hand - Table talk is not forbidden, but you are not supposed to even name the cards in your hand, much less show them.

Here's the quote from the rules:

Quote:
Players can discuss anything they would like, but they cannot name or read out loud directly from cards in their hand, or from cards that they have seen but the rest of the players have not.

A rules lawyer might note that the rules don't technically say you can't show your hand, but the things it does prohibit make no sense if you play open handed.

The cards you have seen that others have not would primarily be the results of scrying effects, like Henamarth or Denethor from the core set. There's also a few cards that allow you to arrange the top of your deck (e.g. ally Galadriel), and that information would also fall under the rule.

When I play two-handed solo, I make no effort to forget what is in the other hand. When I play with my son, I made no effort to follow the "table talk" rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose it depends on your level of play. When my son and I play it's on easy mode and with open hands. When I play at the FLGS (usually in a LotR promo night, etc...) with others, it's closed hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Way too lazy to hold the hand "as a hand", so on the table it goes.

The table talk rule as is is 100% stupid and bypassable anyway, so if you can bypass that by referencing "a certain gray friend" or inane crap like that, you can bypass it similarly by looking at my stuff without me explicitly showing/telling you things.

(For people who multi-hand solo much, playing open handed multiplayer also keeps the formats more in line. YMMV if keeping solo and multiplayer similar is specifically desirable, for me it is.)

((Ok, despite above parenthesis, playing open is not actually an ideological thing for me. If some pickup random strictly prefers to play that way, I can concede to play closed. Exaggerated sighing about The Onerousness Of All Things may piss them off though. Fair deal imo.))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reyes
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I appreciate all the input. Thanks to all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.