$5.00
$20.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
46 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Interactive, highly replayable, fun euro games that work well with 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played enough euro games, it's true (as a matter of fact, I don't play that many different games, because it takes me a lot of time to decide on what to purchase). However, I'd like to try a mid-weight euro game (or even leaning towards hard euro games), but only if there's anything out there that is interactive.

I guess the most representative euro game that I've played so far is Keyflower. I did not enjoy it at first, and my girlfriend finds it a bit stale, but I've grown to appreciate its smart design. I also like Imperial Settlers, but that is despite the fact that it is mostly multiplayer-solitaire (also, is it a euro? i've seen that there is no consensus on this).

Over time, I've been interested in Brugges, Voyages of Marco Polo, and, more recently Grand Austria Hotel. I've been on the verge of getting each of them, but I didn't, because of reasons that I do not even remember at the moment.

Point is, I'd like an euro game that works well with 2 players, that is replayable, fun, with good components (thus, no Castles of Burgundy recommendations, please), that does not take over 2-2.5 hours and that is very interactive and as such does not feel like a multiplayer solitaire?

Thank you in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen 3h
Netherlands
Zwolle
flag msg tools
Carcassonne yes really Carcassonne.

+ works well with 2 players
+ replayable
+ fun
+ does not take over 2-2.5 hours
+ very interactive (it can be)

good components (thus, no Castles of Burgundy recommendations, please), this one is debatable but come on who doesn't like meeples?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate Carcassone, unfortunately

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
I hate Carcassone, unfortunately

So do I but Carcassonne: The Castle is fun, 2p, good duration, right amount of interaction and replayable. imo.

What's wrong with the quality of Castles of Burgundy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thin cardboard, and overall the design looks really really dull to me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He did say fun, to me that rules out Castles of Boregandy, in a really big way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
England
Hull
East Riding of Yorkshire
flag msg tools
But we have to change the rules because Monopoly's so boring!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you said no Castles of Burgundy recommendation but it is the only game I can get my missus to play with me and believe me, I've tried to convert her to cardboard over the years but with this one exception, she just won't entertain it. Once you know Castles it can be played in half an hour with 2 players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I enjoy Snowdonia as a 2 player game.
The bulk of the components are cubes, but each of you do have plastic figures in your color.
The interaction(to me) is high. You are racing to clear rubble, lay track, and build stations. Your opponent can take advantage of what you have done on your turn to clear off the remaining rubble on a site or build on a site you cleared during your turn.
The replay value for the core game is good and there are a lot of expansions out for it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
El Grande , Troyes and Lords of Waterdeep have interaction, or is it interference ?
Are you considering looking for Co-op games as they encourage interaction and suit two players very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take a look at Snowdonia!

Mark, those will go on the list too. Hm, I quite enjoy co-op games (Legendary, Pandemic), but are there euro-games that are co-op?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen 3h
Netherlands
Zwolle
flag msg tools
GitFeatures wrote:
El Grande , Troyes and Lords of Waterdeep have interaction, or is it interference ?
Are you considering looking for Co-op games as they encourage interaction and suit two players very well.

Lords of Waterdeep is a boring game with two players, you can pretty much always get the resources you need. As a 4 player game it's great with limited choices to complete the missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I really enjoy Puerto Rico with 2P. Definitely interactive and component quality is good to great (depending on the depths of your wallet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raptor if it qualifies as a euro to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
..., but are there euro-games that are co-op?

How 'bout Legends of Andor ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all! After looking at some of them, I will keep on the short list Legends of Andor and El Grande. I'm waiting for other suggestions too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend you check out:

La Granja
Grand Austria Hotel
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar
Fields of Arle
Viticulture Essential Edition

These work really well with two players in our opinion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ruby
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Castles of Mad King Ludwig

My wife loves this game, and there is just the right amount of interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeroen3h wrote:
GitFeatures wrote:

Lords of Waterdeep is a boring game with two players, you can pretty much always get the resources you need. As a 4 player game it's great with limited choices to complete the missions.

Very good point .the missus like to just play 2 player, however Dear daughter does ask me to use the D12 automa AI from the solo variant I use from the lords of waterdeep forums. It will disrupt and crumble your best laid plans and makes for a better game to be honest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
AdelinDumitru wrote:
Thanks all! After looking at some of them, I will keep on the short list Legends of Andor and El Grande. I'm waiting for other suggestions too!

I don't think El Grande would play well with 2-players, as it's an area control game (BGG survey puts it at 85% do not recommend with 2)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thebes
Pax Porfiriana
Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grand Austria Hotel is a lot of fun, but it's very much multi-player solitaire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Leach
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeroen3h wrote:
GitFeatures wrote:

I actually find Lords of Waterdeep at its best at 2 players. Like anything I think it's in how you play. You have to pay very close attention to what your opponent is trying to do and try to interfere with them as much as possible while furthering your own goals. With two players you get a lot more workers to use on the board than with higher play counts and you have much more ability to create synergy with your quests/plot quests. There is (or at least should be) a constant battle with your opponent for use of the harbor and the intrigue cards. Mandatory quests get nasty in 2p, but saving them for the right moment? Utterly sweet. Which buildings come out (and which are actually built) change the resource economy. I've played games where resources and bonuses fall like rain from the sky where it's a race to see who's point engine is faster and I've played games where we didn't build any buildings until round 7 because they were all terrible. Tense games, all of them.

Add in more players and you get less workers, less control, and less chances to do anything interesting with your cards / quests. I definitely prefer this with less people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen 3h
Netherlands
Zwolle
flag msg tools
jharus wrote:
jeroen3h wrote:
GitFeatures wrote:

I actually find Lords of Waterdeep at its best at 2 players. Like anything I think it's in how you play. You have to pay very close attention to what your opponent is trying to do and try to interfere with them as much as possible while furthering your own goals. With two players you get a lot more workers to use on the board than with higher play counts and you have much more ability to create synergy with your quests/plot quests. There is (or at least should be) a constant battle with your opponent for use of the harbor and the intrigue cards. Mandatory quests get nasty in 2p, but saving them for the right moment? Utterly sweet. Which buildings come out (and which are actually built) change the resource economy. I've played games where resources and bonuses fall like rain from the sky where it's a race to see who's point engine is faster and I've played games where we didn't build any buildings until round 7 because they were all terrible. Tense games, all of them.

Add in more players and you get less workers, less control, and less chances to do anything interesting with your cards / quests. I definitely prefer this with less people.

Interesting, the times we've played it with two I found it to be too much of a multiplayer solitaire game. With four players it has that sweet spot of very limited options so you need to really think about what you're doing. And the mandatory quests can really screw you over since you only have 2 (or later on 3) options to complete a quest every round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your first couple games would stretch the 2-2.5 hour threshold, but Twilight Struggle could meet your criteria quite well. Once you're familiar with the rules/gameplay, you can get a game in in under 2 hours fairly easily. It's not a wargame, despite it being ranked as one. It's an area control Euro, and a damn great one. You could also look into it's much quicker little sister, 1960: The Making of the President which is getting a reprint this year from GMT, so it will no longer be crazy expensive as an OOP game. I would also recommend Campaign Trail, which actually fired both of the above games for me to the point that I sold them away, however it is currently only available in PNP form and won't be physically shipped out until probably early 2017. It's also the only one of the three games listed above that is playable solo (actually plays 1-6 whereas both above games are strictly 2-player).

Agricola could work, but at 2-players it's not as fun. It's little sister, Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small, is much better since it's strictly 2-players, but overall I think that one might be a little light for what you're wanting.

Viticulture (or one of the many editions/expansions) is a good suggestion. Also the heavier wine game, Vinhos Deluxe Edition.

My wife and I really enjoy playing Jaipur, which is one of the best 2-player midweight-ish games out there.

One I'm very excited to play, that I just received last week, is Alf Seegert pride and joy, Heir to the Pharaoh. Copies will hopefully be available to mass distribution in the next month or two.

Above and Below could also be a really fun one, as it has an absolute ton of variety thanks to the Book of Encounters (think like the Choose Your Own Adventure books you may have read as a kid). It's very much OOP right now in the US, but perhaps it's still available in Europe. The KS just ended for its sequel, Near and Far, so I would imagine Above & Below will get a reprint very very soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cohn
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I can't say enough good things about Agricola. My wife and I have played hundreds of 2 player games. The first few games will be slow and difficult, but once you get it down, from set-up, through drafting, and then playing, it takes us about 60 minutes (75 if we're playing very cutthroat). The huge deck size makes for lots of replayability. And, if you get bored with the base game, add the G and WM decks (both highly recommended).

Other 2pl favorites:
Race for the Galaxy (steeper learning curve, shorter play time, get the first expansion at least.)

Seasons (also slow at first, takes an hour once you know it, but huge replayability, and good expansions available.)

7 Wonders (some people don't like the 2pl version, but i think it's pretty interesting--but i ONLY recommend it if you add leaders and cities expansions to give it enough variety.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.