World of Yo-Ho» Forums » General

Subject: 3 Plays Reaction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this and wanted to toss out some responses after those 3 plays with my family. I'm not an expert so some of this may exist already.

First, the kids were wowed by the map and wanted to play instantly.

The tutorial did slow things down a little too much; I wouldn't get rid of it though.

My daughter asked if she could play it in the car. I don't know if there is a work around Wifi, but if a travel edition is made, the back box cover could be a mini map, and the little suction cup figures could be used on it to keep positions while the iPhone is passed bank and forth. ((Honestly, we don't travel enough to ever use it in this way, but some families might.))

My son commented that it's his favorite game now. He loves the random events. Loves them. His playstyle is to let everyone get into the mix while he silently completes missions, thus winning.

Random events ideas:
a. quest: monster hunter - you hunt the great beast (maybe it exists, but I haven't seen it).
b. Storms - I like the stopping, but I think there should be a chance that it blows you in a random direction too. 4 directions or held in place.
c. I've seen chests and wrecks - Are there survivors to pick up? Are there in-game pirate ships that attack you?
d. Are there uncharted islands to find with special events? fountain of youth, cave with a cyclops, island with a giant gorilla, cave with a djinn - good and bad events.

The combat was fun! Secretly putting in your weapons was a big hit with the kids.

I did want a little more interaction; I know quests exist that are revenge from ports, but how about other (rival) ports hear rumors of quests and send you to steal from other ships, or stop it before the complete the missions.

Port allegiances could be an expansion: benefits and hindrances by aligning with a port.

I saw that team missions are coming; great idea. If we could team up from the start for the whole game: 2v2 and be sent to complete various tasks vs the other team.

I was reading the box and saw the mention of magic (I think it just meant animal people). I wonder if there shouldn't be a few spells (summon storm, summon good winds, illusion ship, etc.) and a few random magical beings (mermaids, siren, djinn, etc.) that help and hinder.

I don't know how much you can tweak the app. to add to the game, but I encourage you to keep doing so. I know there is a patch coming, and I bet the support to the app is going to pay off.

I could see the popularity of this game snowballing because of app support. The game is pretty fun now, but if it continues to evolve I could see this becoming a true classic.

((Edits: poor, well, no proofing before posting: missing commas, clunky wording..))
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FPV
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for this. I was on the fence. I'm pulling the trigger and getting this now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So I'm confused, is there magic in the game or magical characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The box mentions magic.

Magic does not exist in the game at this time.

I do wish they would develop an expansion that focuses on adding a layer of magic to the game. I listed a few simple ideas in the post above. It would seem to fit - the characters are all animals; the ships are "animals" too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.