8 Posts

Catan» Forums » General

Subject: Help with buying order and 2 player options. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon O'neill
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey guys. My girlfriend and I just recently got heavily into Catan. We bought the base game and adore it! We play with her Brother but we'd like to start expanding and well, I see conflicting statements everywhere and was hoping someone could help me with this.

I am buying Rivals For Catan for us to play when it's only her and I, but I'm wondering if any of the actual big game expansions are good for 2 players? I noticed that 'Explorers and Pirates' as well as 'Traders and Barbarians' are listed as 2-4 players. Does this mean both are good to go? I saw some people state that you can't even find the rules for 2 player and that it's bullshit. I also saw some people say that MOST of the expansion cannot be played with 2, but that one specific scenario allows for it.. so we'd be paying like 60 dollars for one scenario? Or are they wrong?

I'm also wondering if there is a specific order to buy the expansions, or if any of them covers the previous ones? I read that Traders/Barbarians are compilations of scenarios, but I don't know if that means they're from past expansions... so I am quite confused as to where to start.

Our plan was to buy E&P, followed up by T&B,and then jump right into Seafarers for when her brother is around to play with us. Then we figured we'd top it all off with Cities and Knights.

Is it even a good idea to have all of them? I know next to nothing about it so any help at all would be incredibly appreciated. Thanks so much for reading!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be warned, Rivals for Catan is not like Settlers of Catan. It's set in the same world and has the same styling have, but it's a different game altogether. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but don't get it expecting it to be like Settlers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Each expansion that I have played changes the game so it is very different. Personally I only like the base game but YMMV. My advice is try the expansions if possible before buying (good advice in general with board games). It't not Pokemon, you don't need to collect them all. You might be better served dropping the money on other games.

Yeah, they are not all great to every person. T&B and E&P are more scenario driven whereas C&K is a more strategic version of Catan. C&K for some makes the game a lot better from the additions, while others don't like that it makes the game run an hour and half or longer.

You might pull down the rule books and look through them. Might give you a feel for how each expansion plays and the 2-player setups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gough
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent a very long time trying to find a way to play Catan with two players, using all sorts of expansions and variants.

I love Catan far more than most people, but it is not a two player game and nothing can turn it into one. There are lots of really good two player games out there. Save yourself the time I spent on trying to get Catan to work and invest in some of those instead.

I mainly game with my wife so there are very few non 2 player games in my collection. Catan is one of the few that will never be ousted, but it will also never be played two player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I recommend the Traders & Barbarians expansion, particularly for the Fishermen of Catan module.

My group never played Catan without it once we had it available. It replaces the Desert tile with a lake and adds sections around the outside of the board which can grant you fish when the appropriate numbers are rolled. The fish can be redeemed for several different "rewards", such as gaining a resource of any type, placing a road, or drawing a development card. It helps offset that the outside of the map (and the area around the Desert) are generally crappy spots to be in the base game by making them less crappy, to the point of even being beneficial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.