$30.00
$15.00
David Smith
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Hey Folks

I just posted the fourth topic on my blog, Level 1: Game Designer. The topic is on how game designers can tap into their inspirations for productivity and game ideas.

You can read it here:
https://level1gamedesigner.wordpress.com/2016/08/23/inspirat...

My blog is geared towards aspiring game designers, and I plan to publish one post every Monday (clearly I will be late sometimes). Hopefully by sharing my experiences as an aspiring game designer, I can encourage others.

Happy gaming!
David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Francois
Belgium
Bruges
West-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the Six Tips for Play testing as well.

I fully agree with the Minimize revisions between play tests. I've recently been involved with some early board game play testing and while it probably feels really good to the group testing when the actual creators make changes based on the feedback between the sessions played over the entire day in the end it's just causing more confusion. As this gets harder to pinpoint the exact 'issue' that was trying to be addressed in making a change when multiple things get swapped around or even moved out of the game to make room for something new.

I'd advise to keep notes on all remarks but refrain in changing anything so you can actually collect data on 5-10 sessions and see if the mechanic / game play element you're thinking on changing actually needs a change at all.

Nice read & looking forward in reading your future blog posts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smith
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Thanks Zeph for checking out the blog!

You are correct; note-keeping is important during playtesting. It's so easy to forget the details of the game while playing, and especially early on you'll probably have a lot of notes/details to remember.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.