Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
^^ ?

I'm thinking of running through some of our scenarios in 2p mode, and I remember the main complaint (esp. from rahdo) being that you have to control two characters each.

Is that it for major issues? If so, I can probably live with it, and we'll give the game a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another complaint is, since a large part of the game revolves around the storytelling aspect of drawing a card and relating the information to your fellow players, some of that is lost when there are only two of you. I, however, like it better with two than with 3-4 since I, personally, get to see more cards and feel more involved with the mystery unfolding on the table.

But I think that the 'play 2 characters each' is the biggest complaint. I've played all the scenarios with 2 and loved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fba827 fba827
United States
Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
To expand on what murksofus said...

(1) Playing two each - some people feel that loses some of the immersion of playing a character and trying to see it from "a" character's perspective of how they learn things.

(2) Absence of additional brainpower - the puzzles are the same regardless of the number of -players- that are there (aka the puzzles do not scale in difficulty based on number of players). But more players means more brains to help resolve any of the puzzles

(3) Reduction in social interaction - this is the hardest to quantify as it means nothing to some people and everything to others. But some people find it valuable to have the social interaction aspect as you listen to each other share what they discovered and try and relate to them what you discovered; piecing it all together. Compared to simply seeing all/most cards yourself, you aren't having a story told to you / having a chance to tell story to others, so much as simply reading game mechanics and flavor text yourself more often. So if you are in to this game for the idea of "sharing" a story then that is what gets reduced here by only 2 players

That said, with just 2 players it is a much more mentally intimate experience as you're building a story that just the two of you know and can laugh about later as "your joke" so perhaps you're fine with reduction in social interaction, and maybe you're fine with the reduction in immersion.

The only real "real" loss (regardless of play style preference) by having just two players is loss of extra brainpower to solve puzzles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was one minor thing effected in Prophecy of Dragons (minor spoilers):

Spoiler (click to reveal)
We were playing 2 characters each and at some point (I honestly don't remember where) one of my characters got a "mute" condition - I couldn't talk/communicate until I lost a hit point or something.

But since I was controlling two characters, it didn't really effect me - because I could just talk as the other character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all the scenarios with just my girlfriend. There is no issue playing this way (unless you don't want to play two characters, per Rahdo). We love it (outside of some other personal complaints unrelated to playing with 2 players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.