Popular Tags: [View All]
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was at GenCon a few weeks ago covering the show for the boardgaming podcast that I host. One of the things I got to do was sit with DC for about an hour to discuss the design/development of Dark Souls and play through the demo with him. Up until that point, my whole experience with the Dark Souls video game was about 3 hours of frustration followed by turning it off and never turning it on again. I was really interested in the game from a boardgaming perspective, as tactical "dungeon crawler" types are my jam. Plus, it's a huge release and a big story so I was curious to see what was going on with it.

In short, I really liked it. So much so that when I got home I picked up Dark Souls 3 and gave it another shot. I'm really glad I did as I'm enjoying the hell out of that game and it gave me some perspective for the demo I played. In addition to the written piece, I talked about the demo on the podcast. I've provided some links below for anyone who is curious about it.

Written Piece on the Ding & Dent homepage
Podcast, Dark Souls stuff starts at 20:28

You can also find the podcast on iTunes/Google/anywhere you download podcasts; it's the most recent "GenCon Recap" episode. The above link is to the soundcloud page so you can listen through your browser if you prefer.

I'm also happy to answer any questions I can, fire away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Treasure
United Kingdom
Romsey
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
captainraffi wrote:
I'm also happy to answer any questions I can, fire away.

Great article! Most of the questions I have are around the campaign-style play. I know from talking to a Jnr and Snr designer at UK games expo that the game is being developed as a bit of a toolbox for the community to tweak and use but did they make with any more info about levels, campaigns or scenarios?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

The Reaper wrote:
they make with any more info about levels, campaigns or scenarios?

A little. There aren't really levels per se; they call them "Tiers". The tiers are collections of stats that you can see printed on the card in the picture in the article. You spend some number of souls that you earn in the exploration area/fighting monsters to go up a Tier. I think it's like...1 soul to go up the first Tier, then 3, then 5, etc. Each character has different stat values in each tier, and those stats are checked by a weapon before you can use it.

So it isn't so much "Level 2" as it is "Tier 2" and in Tier 2 the Knight has higher strength than the herald, meaning the knight can use certain weapons sooner than the Herald.

As for campaign/scenario we didn't really get into details. Just that different areas will have different set ups and that the bosses will all be very different in terms of both cards and what happens when they "heat up".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Treasure
United Kingdom
Romsey
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. The guys mentioned all sorts about scenario led stuff to me for info.

Specific cards to go with Darkroot Basin tiles for example. Encounter cards that give you environmental effects in areas (water, poison etc etc) and are kinda 'the Darkroot deck' and having one for each major location. That would be excellent and would make it feel like you are playing a key location in the game and not just drawing some tiles from a bag and picking a boss in a completely jumbled way.

I can see the community making the entire game out of a complete set, that makes me... excited

Bit that slightly concerns me there though is that characters don't seem set up for long-campaign upgrade paths, rather a few upgrades over the course of a game or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It fills me with confidence to see people enjoying this game. Thanks for the feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent DePonte
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
vincentdante wrote:
It fills me with confidence to see people enjoying this game. Thanks for the feedback.

Yes it's nice to hear that the game plays well but designing the game isn't my biggest concern, getting it to my mailbox is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Treasure
United Kingdom
Romsey
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd pay good money (and have ) for more info on a campaign, level comparison (to the video game) or some rules!

Feels a little like a lucky dip of tiles, a cherry picked boss and off you go at the min, I'd much rather play a scenario like Darkroot or be able to string a few levels together.

Suspect/hope this will come out soon... *taps fingers*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.