Daniel Vrettas
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Crew

I've got a good grasp of the game at this point (read the manual multiple times, watched a couple tutorial videos) but i just wanted to get a definite confirmation regarding the battle phase, and the damage segment

without going into the more advanced details

if attrition comes into play (attrition payment via character forfeit value also counts towards battle damage if you lost the battle)

am i correct?

so really the only difference attrition makes is you have to lose a character instead of just cards from your life force / hand

if i lost a battle 10 to 15 / and my opponents attrition value was 0
i would pay 5 force, either in forfeit or life force

but in the same situation 10 to 15 + my opponent draws a 3 battle destiny
it would be 10 to 18 (i got a 0 destiny) - but this time, i have to satisfy the 3 attrition not using life force

so if say i had a card with a forfeit of 8 - that would complete my obligations for both battle loss and attrition? correct?

so going back to my first point, without attrition - i would always be able to pay my battle losses in life force

sorry if i sound confusing - but i always thought battle damage and attrition were their own phases

You satisfy battle damage via forfeit or life force firstly

Then you do the attrition (which then requires a forfeit value)

i understand attrition adds to your total damage (but still had them separate when it comes to the actual losses
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Rice
United Kingdom
Beckenham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct on all counts!

Forfeiting for attrition does indeed count towards battle damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Vrettas
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NickRice wrote:
You are correct on all counts!

Forfeiting for attrition does indeed count towards battle damage.

Thanks Nick

I think im good to teach others now - can't wait to play out my DSII starter decks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Rice
United Kingdom
Beckenham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Those DSII Decks are a good way to play actually. Plenty of movie theme and lots of interaction!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Vrettas
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If i could ask 1 more question

regarding space battles - Armor and Maneuver only come into play involving weapons am i right?

i noticed on many cards - it says a permanent pilot provides an ability of 1

so if i had a single X-Wing with a pilot (it would total 1 ability towards initiating a battle and also add towards an eventual battle destiny?)

So i should require x3 more "piloted" X-Wings to satisfy the 4 ability needed to draw battle destiny

so they have purposely made it harder to draw battle destiny's in space?
i know passenger power / ability does not count towards anything (so in the case of land vehicles - you would unload your passengers to increase power / ability at the site

And does + adds * power of anything he pilots apply to land vehicles?

I know this was a mouthful, thanks in advance laugh

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anatinus
United States
Paducah
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Just a twin
badge
Don't drink the potion!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to armor/maneuver, they only matter if specifically mentioned by cards which are usually, but not always, weapons. Tallon roll comes to mind but there are others.

You understand ability correctly. Usually you are using pilots to get ability easier or cards that "draw battle destiny if unable to otherwise"

All those cards that "add to anything they pilot" were later errated after the Hoth expansion to refer to combat vehicles, cap ships, and fighters. Only a very few cards like mercenary pilot add to regular vehicles as a driver. (Note the different terminology).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Vrettas
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anatinus wrote:

You understand ability correctly. Usually you are using pilots to get ability easier or cards that "draw battle destiny if unable to otherwise"

Oh ok, so does this mean - if the pilot has ability 2 - and the fighter card desc days "perm pilot aboard provides an ability of 1"

Does this total ability of 3 (does the pilots ability count) - i know this isnt the case with power - as power is only added if the pilots description says so

Regards,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsk0120 wrote:
anatinus wrote:

Oh ok, so does this mean - if the pilot has ability 2 - and the fighter card desc days "perm pilot aboard provides an ability of 1"

Does this total ability of 3 (does the pilots ability count) - i know this isnt the case with power - as power is only added if the pilots description says so

Regards,

Yes, presuming the ship allows a pilot character along with a permanent pilot.

You really need pilots in space to be drawing battle destiny. Pilots on their matching starfighters can be pretty powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Vrettas
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah interesting, am i led to believe then

if the starship card doesn't say in the description
"Must have pilot aboard to use power"

the starship can add to a battle (+ power) with nobody in the starship (such as with a basic tie fighter or x-wing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsk0120 wrote:
Ah interesting, am i led to believe then

if the starship card doesn't say in the description
"Must have pilot aboard to use power"

the starship can add to a battle (+ power) with nobody in the starship (such as with a basic tie fighter or x-wing

A ship with the little yellow Permanent Pilot icon is good to go (so yes, a generic X-Wing or TIE Fighter IIRC). Later ships don't clarify with the "must have pilot aboard" language; they just expected you to know that. But many/most named starfighters require a pilot character on board (e.g., Red 5, Black 3, Onyx 2).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Vrettas
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manutd03 wrote:
little yellow Permanent Pilot icon

Thanks manutd03

I learned something new / i must of missed this in the rule book

Didn't realize yellow pilot icon meant the card comes with a pilot (no character card required)

the "permanent pilot adds 1 ability" in the descrip makes much more sense now

I guess this means you can't add characters to starship cards with perm pilots

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsk0120 wrote:
I guess this means you can't add characters to starship cards with perm pilots

That's pretty much it.

Don't worry: It's a loooooooooong rule book. There's a lot to learn in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Vrettas
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although this sounds very anti thematic

Can you deploy a tie fighter / piloted of course without a capital ship already present

Given tie fighters don't have a hyperdrive (in most cases)

In the movies they rely on a capital ship to transport or even exist in a system
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsk0120 wrote:

Can you deploy a tie fighter / piloted of course without a capital ship already present

Yep. There are a lot of non-thematic things you can do, which can be part of the fun.

P.s.: Thanks for the Geekgold!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsk0120 wrote:
Although this sounds very anti thematic

Given tie fighters don't have a hyperdrive (in most cases)

In the movies they rely on a capital ship to transport or even exist in a system
He could have gotten lost, been part of a convoy or something
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Vrettas
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well after having too much fun playing around with the DSII decks

i decided to make my own deck from scratch, and it was the most fun ive had in a long time (3+ hours)
using my Premiere and new hope cards

is there a ratio that is usually followed for a beginner deck builder

at the moment ive designed a tatooine deck which has

x24 character cards
x21 mix of used / lost interrupts / effects
x4 Weapon cards
x2 vehicle
x9 locations (usually matching for each side to place over with their own
along with x2 unique locations for each side at Yavin 4 and the death star which can't be modified

this is also to play with people new to the game / its the same
ratio for both sides

Except light side has
Han, Leia, Luke, Owen + Beru
With a mix of jawas, basic rebel troops and a couple strong
tatooine specific units

Dark,
Grand Moff Tarkin, Tagge, Greedo, Ponda Baba + Dr ezavan
with tusken raiders and basic imperial troops

when trying to balance dark and light sides / troop wise

does anyone have a specific formula they follow?

Regards,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Rice
United Kingdom
Beckenham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The number of locations looks about right for what you are trying to do.

You might want to up the number of characters, as these will be the most important cards and will be the ones you want to see in your hand, especially since you are using a lot of troopers etc. which will bite the dust pretty quickly and in large numbers! I would aim to get the character count up to 30 or slightly more. In terms of the character mix, I would recommend putting in all of the unique characters you have, as they are a bit stronger than the troopers and more fun to have on the table!

I would take out some of the interrupts, especially those that are conditional on certain things. Also, be selective with the effect cards, as they are costly to play (you effectively lose a force when you deploy a card) and the ones in Premiere/New Hope are often not that powerful.

The weapons in the two sets you are using are quite weak and you will probably find yourself not deploying them or regretting deploying them! The exceptions are the character specific ones (e.g. Han's blaster), which are much better.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Vrettas
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Nick

Ive boosted the decks to x30 characters

and mixed in a couple special edition / jabba's palace cards (as they fit
into the tatooine theme quite nicely

i guess the only way to know for sure how balanced they are is to play with them

you were right about the effects / it was worth removing some for extra characters

as for weapons / the only thing im deciding is to either
remove x2 blasters from each side and add x1 skiff to each deck

i just don't know if Leia's sporting blaster is a good card with leia in the deck
its fired for free, but has -1 on destiny draws to hit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Rice
United Kingdom
Beckenham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I would ditch the blasters for a skiff. The skiffs are great on Tatooine and thematic too if you are going to use some Jabba's Palace cards.

Yeah, Leia's not the best shot! It's got a nice picture on though! I'd put it in, she still has a reasonable chance of hitting ability 1 characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.