Subject: Colored People rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/22/opinions/colored-people-and-ab...

How do you refer to what i would term 'black' people, I grew up in an era where 'black' was not necessarily offensive, in fact, it was the norm for describing people of African descent. What did you grow up calling them, that was politically correct at the time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually their nationality, but if they insist on being "black British" or whatever "black".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
If one has to refer to skin color, then black is the norm here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the U.S.A., many federal forms, state forms (i.e., government forms) do ask for your race. White skin color is typically referred to as Caucasian, but it has been awhile since I've seen what they call 'blacks' on government forms. I am simply not sure what is the current politically correct term for them, apparently, judging from the article, it's not 'colored people'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I grew up calling such folks of African descent "black".

My grandmother, being a white Floridian, had a much less nice term (it started with 'n') for those folks, which she used for example to criticize my English mom (new to the ways of 1960s rural Florida) for daring to have a pleasant conversation with a black lady.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
What do I call coloured people?

"Teletubbies"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the term black, sometimes I use African American. I will call someone whatever term they want but I am tired of it changing. I can't keep all this political correctness straight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even in America I never adopted the term African-American for black people because lots of Africans are not black. Non-black Africans are not just descendants of Europeans either. For example Berbers are not black but have lived in Africa since ancient times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
People of color -- colored people. I'm white so I don't get the difference. Besides I just call them jungle bunnies or nigras*

*--That one always brings a laugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
What do I call coloured people?

"Teletubbies"

This picture is missing the purse, you homophobe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always used the term "black" unless I know the person directly. Then I call them "Joe" or "Maurice" or "LeBron".

I think the whole idea of being afraid to use the term "black" instead of "African-American" results in newspapers not checking their "autocorrect" and printing things like "African-American South African"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was in grad school in America, a South African acquaintance was asked in front of me if there were African-Americans in South Africa. He replied, "No, but there are an awful lot of black people."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although black is such a bad word (as pointed out by, I believe, Piers Anthony in one of his books) because black means lack of color.

Blacks tend to have a great variety of color (mostly some form of brown), but definitely not a lack of color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:

How do you refer to what i would term 'black' people, I grew up in an era where 'black' was not necessarily offensive, in fact, it was the norm for describing people of African descent. What did you grow up calling them, that was politically correct at the time?

"Black" or perhaps "negro".

Usually it's just "hey you".

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
Although black is such a bad word (as pointed out by, I believe, Piers Anthony in one of his books) because black means lack of color.…

No, black means black. It's a color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
qzhdad wrote:
Although black is such a bad word (as pointed out by, I believe, Piers Anthony in one of his books) because black means lack of color.…

Depends on the level of science your wishing to apply. Colloquially it's a colour. But in terms of the spectrum its the absence thereof. According to my art classes, it's unnatural in nature and your really just getting very very dark shades of other colours, I believe there's a comment that actual black will stand out at night vs the darker tones and not as stealthy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
I have always used the term "black" unless I know the person directly. Then I call them "Joe" or "Maurice" or "LeBron".

I beat Sean gets real tired of you doing that to him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
draxx01 wrote:
whac3 wrote:
qzhdad wrote:

Depends on the level of science your wishing to apply. Colloquially it's a colour. But in terms of the spectrum its the absence thereof. According to my art classes, it's unnatural in nature and your really just getting very very dark shades of other colours, I believe there's a comment that actual black will stand out at night vs the darker tones and not as stealthy.

True but I don't think a description of skin color can be understood as anything but a color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
draxx01 wrote:
whac3 wrote:
qzhdad wrote:

Depends on the level of science your wishing to apply. Colloquially it's a colour. But in terms of the spectrum its the absence thereof.

So if I apply lots of science, then I can achieve being truly color-blind? Awesome! Sensitivity.... ACHIEVED!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
How do you refer to what i would term 'black' people?

By their names.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:
How do you refer to what i would term 'black' people?

By their names.

That must be exhausting in discussions of the social effects of race on large demographics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:

Mr. Tibbs. Well that's what one of them liked to be called anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
draxx01 wrote:
whac3 wrote:
qzhdad wrote:

True but I don't think a description of skin color can be understood as anything but a color.

and brown is the color of the skin of black people, right? Not black.

And I am surprised as a physicist that you consider black a color. Where exactly on the spectrum does it fall?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
whac3 wrote:
draxx01 wrote:
whac3 wrote:
qzhdad wrote:

and brown is the color of the skin of black people, right? Not black.

And I am surprised as a physicist that you consider black a color. Where exactly on the spectrum does it fall?

You're confusing colors of light and of dyes and pigments. They're not the same. That's why they have different sets of primary colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.