Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Kmak
United States
Parrish
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can the Reaction Player play more than 1 Reaction card on a single battle?

Assuming he can here is a battle situation I am trying to resolve:

The US plays event card #12 Guam Invasion and attacks Guam. The Jp plays Reaction cards #15 Air Reconnaissance H1H1 (Type 15) and #17 Counter Offensive Third Fleet Intercept. How many units can the Jp activate and why?

My take is THREE from card #15; 1 from the HQ eff. plus 2 the OC number of card #15 and FOUR from card #17; 1 from the HQ eff. plus 3 the OC number of the US offensive card since the JP counter offensive card has no logistics value. That is a total 7 units Jp can activate. Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you can only play one intelligence reaction card per offensive. You can play more than one attack card like the attrition strategy cards or the submarine card, checking the H1 recon graphic under the OC value, it's not an attack card, it's a card that changes the intelligence condition. IT just so happens to include an attack as a bonus.

The offensives sequence of play states:

Quote:
Step 7. The Reaction player attempts to change the Offensive’s Intelligence Condition by playing an appropriate Reaction card or, as an alternative, making an intelligence die roll (7.25).

Note the use of the singular. This implies you play just one card to alter the intelligence condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Kmak
United States
Parrish
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In 5.32 Reaction Events the second to the last sentence says - "A Reaction player is limited to playing a maximum of three Reaction events in response to a specific offensive, not per battle within that offensive." - so I think multiple Reaction cards is legitimate, but I am real fuzzy about the number of units that can be activated by the 2 Reaction cards I mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are multiple categories of reaction cards: Intelligence cards are just one of them. Attack cards are also reaction cards. That just means you may play a maximum of three reaction cards during an offensive. This is because normally you might play a reaction intelligence card in combination with one or two attack cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Kmak
United States
Parrish
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So you can play one reaction card for each battle as long as you don't use more than 3 per offensive card play. So in my example since there is only 1 battle hex the Jp could play one reaction card to change the intelligence condition and then one reaction card that is either an attack reaction card or a counter offensive reaction card. Is that correct?

I just noticed that the reaction cards have a symbol under the card operations number. One symbol, opposing white arrows, means Intercept, three converging white arrows means Ambush, and a white asterisk means Attack Response. But many of the Intercept type reaction also could cause damage just like an attack Reaction card.

So back to my example the Jp could only play either #15 H1H1 (Type 15) or Third Fleet Intercept because both are Intercept type Reaction cards and you can only play one. In this case the either card would activate units equal to the OC number of the US Offensive card, 3, because the Jp counter offensive card does not have a logistics value and both Jp Reaction cards have the same potential for damage to the US. The Jp can therefore activate 1 unit for the efficiency rating of their HQ plus 3 units for the US OC number for a total of 4 units.

If the Jp had either the Submarine Attack or the Zengen Sakusen Attack type Reaction card in their hand they could have played it plus the Intercept type Reaction card and had 2 dice rolls to try to damage the US units before the battle while changing the intelligence from Surprise to Intercept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.