Subject: Tough for Mexico rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/22/news/economy/mexico-economy-...

Unintended consequences of a 'get tough on Mexico' stance that Trump might take? Getting tough on them may exacerbate the world economy, when South and Central America appear to be in an economic slump. There is a fine line between protecting American jobs and the economy, or having the country sucked down into a global economic slump. I am not sure Trump has the finesse to walk that line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering his history I assume that everything he says is either pandering, a lie or a pandering lie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Actually, that 0.2% drop in GDP is impressive considering how much oil exports make up the Mexican economy. I think if we liberalized our drug laws, we could strip away much of the power from the narcoterrorists and really free up the Mexican economy and democracy to do some broken field running.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
I think if we liberalized our drug laws, we could strip away much of the power from the narcoterrorists

Not just in Mexico.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:

Unintended consequences of a 'get tough on Mexico' stance that Trump might take? Getting tough on them may exacerbate the world economy, when South and Central America appear to be in an economic slump. There is a fine line between protecting American jobs and the economy, or having the country sucked down into a global economic slump. I am not sure Trump has the finesse to walk that line.

How is it one nation's responsibility to try to prevent another nation from collapsing economically? Intellectually of course it's generally a Good Thing to keep everybody moving along, but it's not a requirement of the job.

As far as laying this at Trump's feet it might be a bit early there ....he's not in office yet.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
Considering his history I assume that everything he says is either pandering, a lie or a pandering lie.

That's Hillary you're thinking of there.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:

How is it one nation's responsibility to try to prevent another nation from collapsing economically? Intellectually of course it's generally a Good Thing to keep everybody moving along, but it's not a requirement of the job.

As far as laying this at Trump's feet it might be a bit early there ....he's not in office yet.

Ferret

I never said it was our responsibility, But we play a large role in the world economy, and anything we do must be thought out carefully, with regard to consequences it may have for the globe as a whole. It's the right thing to do. With regard to your second comment, don't worry, he's unlikely to be in that office, period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
"I don’t believe in magic that works whether or not you believe in it!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
How is it one nation's responsibility to try to prevent another nation from collapsing economically?

'Responsibility' is the wrong word, but it's in our best interests - an economically-strong trading partner helps us more than hurts us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:

Who buys US products and services? We now have a global economy. We all rise and fall together. The 2007 financial crisis was primarily US-made, but the whole world suffered from the recession.

If Mexico collapses, what happens to the US companies with factories there? How many refugees do we end up with? Even if we toss the refugees back out, they're a drain on out law enforcement.

It's the US Congress's and President's responsibility to make things good for the US, but that needs to take an international viewpoint, like the Monroe Doctrine or the Marshall Plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh boy, this is really going to set their space program back a few hundred years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:

Ferret

I never said it was our responsibility, But we play a large role in the world economy, and anything we do must be thought out carefully, with regard to consequences it may have for the globe as a whole. It's the right thing to do. With regard to your second comment, don't worry, he's unlikely to be in that office, period.

I disagree completely. Everything we do should be done with what is best for the USA in mind. Damaging another countries economy is only an issue in so far as how much it will damage our economy, how much it will damage world security, will it cause a war, etc. America has no obligation to protect another country or look out for someone else's interest except where those interests coincide or further our interests.

It is a shame that Bush did not take your stance before invading Iraq, and taking us into the abyss that has followed. We had no legitimate interests there, save that fact that he thought we did. It is also unfortunate that the USA got embroiled in Vietnam. When you say "America has no obligation to protect another country", you are obviously not speaking to what the politicans believe, because that's exactly what we've felt the need to do, for about 80 years now. Isolationism is not the answer. In the global economy, we all rise together, or fall together, and our policies have much to do with which way we go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:

Ferret

I disagree completely. Everything we do should be done with what is best for the USA in mind. Damaging another countries economy is only an issue in so far as how much it will damage our economy, how much it will damage world security, will it cause a war, etc. America has no obligation to protect another country or look out for someone else's interest except where those interests coincide or further our interests.

While typing this did you take your top hat off before or after the monocle fell out of your eye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.