Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Beginner player seeking a few clarifications on how to play Netrunner rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I was recently very crafty and bought the core set of Netrunner to bring along on my honeymoon, figuring that vacation time was a great time to be learning a new game.

While it took awhile to break it out (Iceland has many wonderful things to see), and the rules book was a bit of a struggle, we did manage to get the hang of it, start modifying our decks, and really enjoying it.

However, we(I) still have a few lingering questions... Here are some:

1) When designing your own deck, what is the etiquette on knowing what the other player's deck is based on before playing? It seems like an infinite loop for the runner to base their deck based on what the corps chooses, then the corps tweaking based on the runner, and so on. More specifically, what would you suggest for a couple playing at home; this is not tournament play.

2) As a runner, when I install programs/hardware/resources into my rig, does it matter where it goes in relation to the other cards? Of course, each type is in their own row... but when I install a program, does the next hardware I install HAVE to go below it? (And then, would that prevent me from installing any other hardware 'on' that program?) I have been playing so that none of my hardware is installed 'on' a program unless I overlap the cards, if that makes sense. Is that okay?

3) We haven't really done much with traces and tags so far. We've played all 4 corps, all 3 runners, and are now playing custom decks... but we still haven't done like a Trace vs. Link thing. Is there just not much trace action in the core set? Or, could you add some clarity to how it works?

Perhaps it's not a good idea to ask 3 different questions in one thread, but these are the things that have been knocking around in my head.

Thank you for whatever clarity you can bring!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yavorski
United States
Kannapolis
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PlayBosco wrote:

1) When designing your own deck, what is the etiquette on knowing what the other player's deck is based on before playing? It seems like an infinite loop for the runner to base their deck based on what the corps chooses, then the corps tweaking based on the runner, and so on. More specifically, what would you suggest for a couple playing at home; this is not tournament play.

Like in any vs card game, half of figuring out your build is to do something well and have a contingency plan in case your opponent is able to counter it. You won't know what your opponent is playing (faction or deck type) until you hit the table, for the very reason you mentioned. Otherwise you end up in an infinite loop and never actually play anything. Some games (magic tg comes to mind) allow for what's called a "sidebar" of a handful of cards you're allowed to swap in once you know your opponents deck, but the base deck isn't swapped, just a handful of cards.

PlayBosco wrote:

2) As a runner, when I install programs/hardware/resources into my rig, does it matter where it goes in relation to the other cards? Of course, each type is in their own row... but when I install a program, does the next hardware I install HAVE to go below it? (And then, would that prevent me from installing any other hardware 'on' that program?) I have been playing so that none of my hardware is installed 'on' a program unless I overlap the cards, if that makes sense. Is that okay?

The layout, imo, is mostly for the corp to see what you have out in an organized way. There's no rules to playing x type of card before y, except that you have to have memory available to install a program (default being 4 MU), with cards that can increase or decrease that amount. Hardware and resources don't have a limit except for what's listed on the card (and the deck limit of 3 each, but there are cards that break this rule too).

PlayBosco wrote:

3) We haven't really done much with traces and tags so far. We've played all 4 corps, all 3 runners, and are now playing custom decks... but we still haven't done like a Trace vs. Link thing. Is there just not much trace action in the core set? Or, could you add some clarity to how it works?

A trace is basically a comparison of money with bonuses. When a trace is triggered, the base strength is listed directly after the word "trace" on the card, with a number in superscript (ie Trace6 is a strength 6 trace). The corp can then spend credits to raise the strength of that trace, at the rate of 1 credit per strength. At this point the runner has done NOTHING. So for example, the corp can spend 3 credits to raise the trace 6 to 9 strength. Those 3 credits are spent, regardless of what happens. The runner then has to react. Starting with any link the runner has listed on their character card (the symbol is the two interlocking squares), and on any cards they have (I believe Access to GlobalSec in the core set gives an extra link) they then can spend credits in the same way as the corp to up their defense. So if your character has +1 link and you have two of the +1 link resources out, the runner's base link defense is 3. They can then spend credits (same as corp, 1 credit = 1 defense). The runner's goal is to MEET or BEAT the strength of the trace as given by the corp after they've spent their credits. In the example we're going with, the corp's strength of 9 and the base defense of the runner of 3, means the runner needs to spend 6 credits to defend the trace attempt or face the consequences of whatever is on the card after the trace# text. Again, all credits spent this way are gone, regardless of the outcome of the trace attempt. Once defense is declared, the trace resolves (the corp does NOT get a 2nd chance to up the strength).

Traces and tags are different things. A lot of the consequences of successful traces are tags, but there are other ways to tag the runner (Data Raven comes to mind). When a runner is tagged, the corp can spend a click and 2 credits to trash ANY resource the runner has out (which is why the layout is important in question 2). The runner (on their turn) can spend a click and 2 credits to get rid of *A* tag. There are other ways to punish a runner for having a tag (Scorched Earth being the big example) and for a runner to get rid of a tag.

Does that help? Sorry it's wordy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PlayBosco wrote:

Netrunner's good for this because it's asymmetric. Choose which side you'll each play, take all the cards for that side, then go build a deck somewhere that your other half can't see. Come back and when you show IDs to each other, it's too late to make any changes!

PlayBosco wrote:

Runner rigs are entirely freeform. Rows for the different types are helpful but, unlike Corp play with their strictly designed servers and ICE layers, entirely unnecessary. Hosting, where you typically overlap a card with a different card, is indeed the one time it matters.

To be clear as well - cards aren't installed 'on' other cards except in the specifics of hosting. For example, the only piece of hardware you will install 'on' a program in the core set is a copy of 'The Personal Touch' (and installing one on there does not prevent the other copy being installed on the same program). Similarly, programs aren't installed 'on' Hardware unless something says so (none in the core set). In fact, the only cards that involve hosting (on) other cards in the core set are The Personal Touch, Djinn, and Parasite. Any other runner cards can just be placed wherever.

PlayBosco wrote:

You should have had some traces by now, most likely. The following ICE in the core set have subroutines that initiate traces:
- Ichi 1.0
- Data Raven
- Matrix Analyzer
- Shadow
- Hunter

If the runner has ever run into one of these ICE without the appropriate breaker (a Killer or an AI) or the money to break with, a trace would have started (actually there are exceptions: Ichi 1.0 could have its trace broken for a click, Data Raven could end the run on Encounter before the subroutine)

There is also SEA Source which is an NBN Operation that starts a trace.

When a trace starts: the corp chooses an amount of money to spend on the trace from their credit pool (or from the NBN ID recurring credits). The trace strength is the small number next to the word Trace that's being triggered, plus the money that the Corp spent.

Then the runner chooses an amount of money to spend. Their link strength is the total link on the board (+1 for each copy of Rabbit Hole or Access to Globalsec installed; +2 if you have Toolbox, +1 if you are Kate) plus the credits they spent.

If the Trace Strength is greater than the Link Strength, then the trace is successful and you do what the trace card says (e.g. power counter on Data Raven, a tag if SEA Source). If the Link Strength was greater or equal to the Trace Strength then the trace was unsuccessful and the text does not happen.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron E.
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
This is fine!
mbmbmbmbmb
PlayBosco wrote:

For a couple playing at home, I would suggest sharing your decks with each other before you play, so you each know what to expect. While Netrunner is of course a game of hidden information, it is also a game of risk analysis. Runners often have to ask themselves, "what's the worst thing that could happen here?" and decide whether or not to take the risk. For new players, this is extremely difficult, as all the cards are new. Sharing deck lists will also help you determine whether either deck has too major of an advantage. It's no fun if someone has no chance at winning simply because their deck was completely countered.

PlayBosco wrote:

Programs and hardware are independent of each other, unless one is hosted on the other. So it's ok to put them anywhere, though by convention programs go in the row closest to your opponent, hardware in the middle, and resources nearest you.

PlayBosco wrote:

Others explained this well, nothing more to add.

Enjoy the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:

PlayBosco wrote:

You should have had some traces by now, most likely. The following ICE in the core set have subroutines that initiate traces:
- Ichi 1.0
- Data Raven
- Matrix Analyzer
- Shadow
- Hunter

Ah, yes, there it is!

The trace 'battle' made sense (though it's nice to clarify that the Corp link strength starts ONLY with the strength listed in the one subroutine, and does NOT include link strength on other cards as it does for the runner).

However, we were just never having traces initiated, I think because I kept breaking the subroutine. (...I was initially playing the game thinking that I had to break ALL of the subroutines in order to pass an ICE, and didn't realize that I could just let some of them affect me. haha.)

My confusion is also likely a result of me always playing the runner and my wife always playing the Corporation (we haven't switched yet). So I've been like, "well, why haven't you tried tracing me yet?" she's like, "because you keep breaking the subroutine!" (Crypsis is a beginner's friend), and I wonder, "well, don't you just have like an operation card that can start it?" "NO!" "Oh."

So, thank you all for bringing clarity to that. Traces exclusively (at least in the core set) start when I cannot break a Trace subroutine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrAaronSA wrote:
PlayBosco wrote:

For a couple playing at home, I would suggest sharing your decks with each other before you play, so you each know what to expect. While Netrunner is of course a game of hidden information, it is also a game of risk analysis. Runners often have to ask themselves, "what's the worst thing that could happen here?" and decide whether or not to take the risk. For new players, this is extremely difficult, as all the cards are new. Sharing deck lists will also help you determine whether either deck has too major of an advantage. It's no fun if someone has no chance at winning simply because their deck was completely countered.

Yeah, for a couple who are also *beginners*, it sounds nice to have some kind of heads up. I think we could minimally say, "hey, do you want to play HB vs. Criminal?" and allow room to discuss the base decks we want to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ciffy wrote:
PlayBosco wrote:

Like in any vs card game, half of figuring out your build is to do something well and have a contingency plan in case your opponent is able to counter it. You won't know what your opponent is playing (faction or deck type) until you hit the table, for the very reason you mentioned. Otherwise you end up in an infinite loop and never actually play anything. Some games (magic tg comes to mind) allow for what's called a "sidebar" of a handful of cards you're allowed to swap in once you know your opponents deck, but the base deck isn't swapped, just a handful of cards.

A sidebar! I think we may have already been doing this naturally. ("Oh, you're playing THAT? Hold on, I need to switch a few cards.") It's nice to know that it's a Thing.

Ciffy wrote:
The layout, imo, is mostly for the corp to see what you have out in an organized way...

That is a great way to think about it, and how I was treating it, so that's good.

I think confusion seeped in when I decided that I could rearrange my resources so that they were in a logical order, and my wife (the Corporation) looks at that and says, "hey! Are you supposed to be able to rearrange your cards like that?" And I say, "I'm not really sure..."

Understandably, the Corporation is accustomed to not being able to move anything, so I wasn't able to confidently tell her, "yeah, I can totes move it around!" though it actually makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PlayBosco wrote:
LeonardQuirm wrote:

PlayBosco wrote:

- Ichi 1.0
- Data Raven
- Matrix Analyzer
- Shadow
- Hunter

Ah, yes, there it is!

The trace 'battle' made sense (though it's nice to clarify that the Corp link strength starts ONLY with the strength listed in the one subroutine, and does NOT include link strength on other cards as it does for the runner).

However, we were just never having traces initiated, I think because I kept breaking the subroutine. (...I was initially playing the game thinking that I had to break ALL of the subroutines in order to pass an ICE, and didn't realize that I could just let some of them affect me. haha.)

My confusion is also likely a result of me always playing the runner and my wife always playing the Corporation (we haven't switched yet). So I've been like, "well, why haven't you tried tracing me yet?" she's like, "because you keep breaking the subroutine!" (Crypsis is a beginner's friend), and I wonder, "well, don't you just have like an operation card that can start it?" "NO!" "Oh."

So, thank you all for bringing clarity to that. Traces exclusively (at least in the core set) start when I cannot break a Trace subroutine.

That's not quite true; as I said, there is one exception in the core set - SEA Source starts a trace and is an NBN Operation. That said, it's not one you'll want to play unless you have something you can do with a tag there and then (say, a little Scorched Earth here or there...)

Crypsis is indeed useful, although very slow and very expensive! Don't forget you need to remove a virus counter each time you use it to break a piece of ICE, and if you can't you have to trash the program. Also, you have to raise the strength of Crypsis for each piece of ICE. So if you're say running through a Hunter then a Wall of Static, Crypsis will cost you (4+1)+(3+1)=9 credits to break both ICE, as well as two virus counters to avoid losing it.

Also make sure to remember the corp can spend three clicks to purge virus counters, if you're spending time building a load up on Crypsis!

Sorry if this is all obvious and you know all this already - a lot of new players miss various bits and these are some of the common mistakes. Crypsis is certainly useful as a get-out-of-jail free card (or an "I'm playing core-set Criminal and I need to break a Code Gate" card) but it's also heavily limited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
PlayBosco wrote:
LeonardQuirm wrote:

PlayBosco wrote:

- Ichi 1.0
- Data Raven
- Matrix Analyzer
- Shadow
- Hunter

Ah, yes, there it is!

That's not quite true; as I said, there is one exception in the core set - SEA Source starts a trace and is an NBN Operation. That said, it's not one you'll want to play unless you have something you can do with a tag there and then (say, a little Scorched Earth here or there...)

Ah, that's right! I think SEA Source hasn't been played because I am seldom tagged (at the right time). The only (main?) way for the Corps to TAG me is also via a subroutine, is that right?

LeonardQuirm wrote:

Crypsis is indeed useful, although very slow and very expensive! Don't forget you need to remove a virus counter each time you use it to break a piece of ICE, and if you can't you have to trash the program. Also, you have to raise the strength of Crypsis for each piece of ICE. So if you're say running through a Hunter then a Wall of Static, Crypsis will cost you (4+1)+(3+1)=9 credits to break both ICE, as well as two virus counters to avoid losing it.

Yeah, I did a little reading on Crypsis and saw the remarks about how slow it is. It is slow, but so is getting 3 different programs up and running. However, I've been losing a lot, sooo....

LeonardQuirm wrote:

Also make sure to remember the corp can spend three clicks to purge virus counters, if you're spending time building a load up on Crypsis!

The Corps can purge THOSE counters too?! Uh oh. I was thinking it was just the counters on the viruses that come with the Noise deck.

LeonardQuirm wrote:

Sorry if this is all obvious and you know all this already - a lot of new players miss various bits and these are some of the common mistakes. Crypsis is certainly useful as a get-out-of-jail free card (or an "I'm playing core-set Criminal and I need to break a Code Gate" card) but it's also heavily limited.

No apologies needed! I think the best way to answer newbie questions is to assume the newbie knows little. Thanks for the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
Quote:
PlayBosco wrote:

Ah, that's right! I think SEA Source hasn't been played because I am seldom tagged (at the right time). The only (main?) way for the Corps to TAG me is also via a subroutine, is that right?
Not exactly... https://netrunnerdb.com/en/card/01086

As you can see, SEA Source can only be played on the turn after the runner has made a successful run. So maybe you're not doing that very often? Or your wife isn't playing much NBN (who were pretty bad in the Core set). But in any case, that's the only condition on the card. You might be thinking of Scorched Earth, which often combos with SEA Source, as that does require the runner to be tagged in order to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
KC
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
PlayBosco wrote:
Ciffy wrote:
Some games (magic tg comes to mind) allow for what's called a "sidebar" of a handful of cards you're allowed to swap in once you know your opponents deck, but the base deck isn't swapped, just a handful of cards.

A sidebar! I think we may have already been doing this naturally. ("Oh, you're playing THAT? Hold on, I need to switch a few cards.") It's nice to know that it's a Thing.

Just to be perfectly clear, it's not a Thing in Netrunner; it's a Thing in other card games. It's fine to do for players playing at home, but it would be unusual and unexpected at, say, a Netrunner meetup at a local FLGS.

PlayBosco wrote:
The Corps can purge THOSE counters too?! Uh oh. I was thinking it was just the counters on the viruses that come with the Noise deck.

Whenever the Corp purges virus counters, every virus counter in play is removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Choy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent Archer wrote:
PlayBosco wrote:

Whenever the Corp purges virus counters, every virus counter in play is removed.

Also, just to follow up, notice that Crypsis is a virus. This matters too because when you are playing as noise, when you install Crypsis it triggers his ability as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent Archer wrote:

Like... ALL virus counters on ALL cards in play?

*gulp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
umchoyka wrote:

Also, just to follow up, notice that Crypsis is a virus. This matters too because when you are playing as noise, when you install Crypsis it triggers his ability as well.

Well, that's good to notice. I've noticed some say "AI", but haven't seen how that comes into play yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron E.
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
This is fine!
mbmbmbmbmb
PlayBosco wrote:

LeonardQuirm wrote:

Yeah, I did a little reading on Crypsis and saw the remarks about how slow it is. It is slow, but so is getting 3 different programs up and running. However, I've been losing a lot, sooo....

I know this thread is starting to derail from your original questions, but I wanted to offer another piece of advice since it's fun to chat with people who are new.

Many new players tend to only run on unrezzed ice when they feel completely safe (full rig or crypsis installed). This is completely understandable, but you'll become a better runner when you start realizing when you can run simply to put economic pressure on the corp. Even if you don't have a crypsis up or a full rig, you can run a server just to dare the corp to spend their money. Many times, they won't want to and you'll get an access. If they do rez the ice, you now know what ice it is, and you also know they were worried enough to spend money to protect that server. Of course once in a while you're going to get burned with some net damage, a tag, or a program trash. But you'll also start to realize that you can recover from these things most times, and if you flatline it's a lesson learned. So basically, call the corp's bluff, you'll both have more fun!

One last thing, as a general rule the ice that deals damage and trashes your rig tends to be sentries, so the most important icebreaker to get down is usually your killer (the icebreaker that breaks sentries). There are a few exceptions to this like Wall of Thorns, but as a general rule, sentries are the worst.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron E.
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
This is fine!
mbmbmbmbmb
PlayBosco wrote:
umchoyka wrote:

Well, that's good to notice. I've noticed some say "AI", but haven't seen how that comes into play yet.

Good question, AI breakers are generally breakers that can break any type of ice, including ice without a barrier/sentry/codegate subtype like data mine. Because they can break any ice, there's always some kind of drawback, and with Crypsis the biggest drawback is spending the click to add the virus counter, as well as the low starting strength/ install cost ratio. AI breakers are also completely countered by certain ice in later packs that specifically mention on the card they can't be broken by AI breakers.

Crypsis and Wyrm are the only breakers in the core set, but they add more in later packs.

Edit: Added wyrm, how could I have forgotten about Wrym?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrAaronSA wrote:

I know this thread is starting to derail from your original questions, but I wanted to offer another piece of advice since it's fun to chat with people who are new.

Many new players tend to only run on unrezzed ice when they feel completely safe (full rig or crypsis installed). This is completely understandable, but you'll become a better runner when you start realizing when you can run simply to put economic pressure on the corp. Even if you don't have a crypsis up or a full rig, you can run a server just to dare the corp to spend their money. Many times, they won't want to and you'll get an access. If they do rez the ice, you now know what ice it is, and you also know they were worried enough to spend money to protect that server. Of course once in a while you're going to get burned with some net damage, a tag, or a program trash. But you'll also start to realize that you can recover from these things most times, and if you flatline it's a lesson learned. So basically, call the corp's bluff, you'll both have more fun!

One last thing, as a general rule the ice that deals damage and trashes your rig tends to be sentries, so the most important icebreaker to get down is usually your killer (the icebreaker that breaks sentries). There are a few exceptions to this like Wall of Thorns, but as a general rule, sentries are the worst.

I did eventually figure out (read about) that I needed to run aggressive to get information and to get the Corp to spend.

...but now my wife has begun prioritizing vicious ICE that's cheap to rez! OY! For instance...

Hunter, 1 to rez, 4 strength, 1 subroutine that gives a tag in a successful trace. So I end up spending around 3 to 5 credits so I don't get tagged, while she just spends 1 to rez it. However, I'm realizing now... if she's poor enough, she may not have enough credits to pay for a successful trace anyway (or at least she spends a lot trying to do it), so I could pass this ICE w/o breaking this subroutine (or make her spend a lot meanwhile)... except that she's pretty good at keeping a pile of credits.

It's a similar situation with Matrix Analyzer; 1 to rez, 3 strength, 1 subroutine that gives a tag in a successful trace.

Or even ICE like Viktor 1.0, 3 to rez, 3 strength, 2 subroutines (1 deals brain damage, the second ends the run). Of course I want to avoid the brain damage, so I end up spending credits to avoid that.

So I just find myself in a conundrum of: I want to run to force the Corps to spend, but then I just end up spending the same or more myself.

So, should I run more AND take damage more often, in order to preserve my credits?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PlayBosco wrote:

So, should I run more AND take damage more often, in order to preserve my credits?

Aaaaand there we get to the meaty decisions of playing Netrunner It's an excellent question and one where there's no clear answer. It's always worth considering the relative costs of breaking subs and letting them fire, and which option you take will depend on a vast multitude of factors.

Welcome to Netrunner proper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:

Welcome to Netrunner proper

Ha! Thanks, I'm happy to be here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
The runner runs. Worry about what it costs you on a case by case basis

Some call the game "advanced poker-chess", and nobody plays with the same board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
KC
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
PlayBosco wrote:
Agent Archer wrote:

Like... ALL virus counters on ALL cards in play?

*gulp.

Yes. An Anarch with a pile of virus counters on Datasucker and Parasite can be made mighty unhappy by a timely purge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PlayBosco wrote:
Hunter, 1 to rez, 4 strength, 1 subroutine that gives a tag in a successful trace. So I end up spending around 3 to 5 credits so I don't get tagged, while she just spends 1 to rez it. However, I'm realizing now... if she's poor enough, she may not have enough credits to pay for a successful trace anyway (or at least she spends a lot trying to do it), so I could pass this ICE w/o breaking this subroutine (or make her spend a lot meanwhile)... except that she's pretty good at keeping a pile of credits.

Yeah, pretty much the essence of ICE traces is that they're slightly worse versions of regular subroutines, in that they that can be circumvented with link or by outspending the corp. (For example, Viper is a card that came out in one of the early expansions: note that it's a lot like Enigma...the only differences are that its subroutines are traces, but its strength is higher so it costs more to break them outright).

Which relates back to a question you asked at the very beginning: no, there really isn't much trace action in the core set. The first cycle of datapacks was specifically designed around making traces more interesting, but for now it's just tagging and Ichi.

So, to elaborate on Simon's answer a little bit, when you encounter a card like Hunter or Matrix Analyzer (or, god forbid, Data Raven), you'll want to consider the costs of avoiding a tag and the possible consequences of taking it. After all, there are currently only three things the Corp can do to you if you're tagged: Scorched Earth, Closed Accounts, and trashing your resources. And how you feel about each of those depends on things like how many cards you have, how much money you have, how much money the corp has, and so on. So, depending on the board state and what cards you think she's using, sometimes you might be better off ignoring the tags. Alternatively, if you have a click to spare, it might be better to take the tag and spend two credits and a click to clear it, rather than spending three or more credits to beat the trace or even more to break the subroutine. And so on. The hardest part of the game is deciding whether you can afford to take a given risk--and whether you can afford not to...but such is the gritty cyberpunk life we signed up for cool laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.