Popular Tags: [View All]
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm stuck in the post-Gen Con malaise. This was the first year I went (wrap-up here Gen Con First Timer 2016 - what I played, what I learned) and I just had an awesome time. Can't wait to do it all again next year! I'm going to somehow have to put it out of my mind because otherwise waiting 11 months is going to be interminable.

My life at home is certainly busy enough, what with kids, work, home stuff and trying to squeeze in games when I can. Gen Con was like a 4 day break from all of that where all you do is pretend you are in college again staying up until all hours playing games, eating really unhealthily and ignoring your other responsibilities

Like I tell my kids when they are bummed after something big and fun like a vacation or Christmas, if every day was as much fun as that then it wouldn't be special any more. Alas life dictates that I limit my 'con attendance to once a year, and so the wait begins...

Anyone else in the same boat with me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
I am only excited about it because I got a room at the Embassy Suites yesterday for a cheaper price than the housing block.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:
I am only excited about it because I got a room at the Embassy Suites yesterday for a cheaper price than the housing block.

How did you swing that? I didn't think they took reservations that far out..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Spalding
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my 4th year going, and my son and I (now age 15) have had a great time each year. It seem like each time we find new things to try (this year was the first year we played organized D&D) and are always exhausted when it's over.

The only real concern I have for next year is that it's a couple of weeks later (Aug 17-20) and my son may start school that week. In that case we may only be able to make Sat/Sun, which we be a bummer. We've been able to fill up 4 days the last couple of years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been going since 2003. It's one of the highlights of my year. I meet up with a bunch of friends I see once a year, play some great games, drink good beer, eat good food, and forget my other responsibilities. It's heavenly.

Just gotta remember to stay in the budget and call my wife and kids every night. Otherwise it's fun time all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
glouie wrote:
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:

How did you swing that? I didn't think they took reservations that far out..

They opened booking for 5 or so hours until the facebook group found out and all the rooms were sold. I usually check hotels around indy once a day every day until December or so. Some just open a few up for reservations. Also the gencon.com/forums have a thread discussing it. You can check there daily as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christopher
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the same way about Origins..my 12 year old son and I made the trek on a Saturday morning from Buffalo to Columbus. The convention itself was awesome and we enjoyed every minute of it. It was also great bonding time with my son, as I also have a wife and daughter, so not often do we get to do things on our own. We demo'ed some games, watched a few others, bought some games, and had a blast spending time in downtown Columbus.

I already have the convention circled for next year and can't wait! I'd like to do Gencon eventually as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yep, just sitting around waiting for the next GC, yep I know the feeling, he he. It is an amazing vacation for me, I have been coming up from Costa Rica for 9 years now and it is so worth it. I actually basically just play Heroscape for 8-10 hours a day, but that is a perfect vacation for me.

I think I am going to hit origins for the first time next year since GC is so awesome, why not hit 2 conventions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dowden
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morph Mode wrote:
I think I'm stuck in the post-Gen Con malaise. This was the first year I went (wrap-up here Gen Con First Timer 2016 - what I played, what I learned) and I just had an awesome time. Can't wait to do it all again next year! I'm going to somehow have to put it out of my mind because otherwise waiting 11 months is going to be interminable.

We've been going to GenCon for 12 years or so. Always a great time. The last few years we've volunteered...which is pretty amazing.

MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:

The first few years we went we stayed just outside of Indy by the Airport. About an eight minute drive in. We really liked that, especially since the hotel never raised our rate from the first year and we has a suite. Basically one group could stay up gaming and the others could go to bed (there was a door to close off the bedroom area). However we now have family and friends who live in the area and we've just crashed there. Makes everything more....cost effective.

TeamAE2L wrote:
This was my 4th year going, and my son and I (now age 15) have had a great time each year. It seem like each time we find new things to try (this year was the first year we played organized D&D) and are always exhausted when it's over.

We started attending when my son was in High School. We took some of his friends with us. Now, he is 30 and we went together again this past year (volunteering made it more feasible for him financially since tickets were provided).

One of the best things about GenCon is all the activities. My wife and I have attended writing seminars, Medieval Cooking classes and my son and I have attended workshops on game design and publishing as well as joining the playtesting of new games.

GenCon is a great experience....many options depending on what you enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Swaygodeus wrote:
I feel the same way about Origins..my 12 year old son and I made the trek on a Saturday morning from Buffalo to Columbus. The convention itself was awesome and we enjoyed every minute of it. It was also great bonding time with my son, as I also have a wife and daughter, so not often do we get to do things on our own. We demo'ed some games, watched a few others, bought some games, and had a blast spending time in downtown Columbus.

I already have the convention circled for next year and can't wait! I'd like to do Gencon eventually as well!

So do I. GenCon is good, but I enjoy Origins a lot more. Remember housing goes live Sept 1st for Origins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.