Fields of Green» Forums » General

Subject: Serious Question(s): FoG vs 7 Wonders rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Looking for resources in how to grow in friendship, unity, and/or intimacy in marriage? - Ask me!
badge
More Woo-Hoo Gamer reviews coming throughout 2017!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really close to backing this one, but from the little I've seen and read, this looks to be mostly drafting and resource management...and 7 Wonders already accomplishes this really well.

Other than theme (and player count), what are the primary differences between the two when it comes to gameplay?

Which one is the deeper game in terms of weight and replayability (when thinking of 7 Wonders, include Cities and Leaders as I own those as well)?

- if they're both similar in terms of weight and complexity, what would make FoG a must own for my collection (feel free to check out my collection if interested)?

Tremendous thanks to anybody who is able to answer these kinds of questions in pretty good detail!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Starek
Czech Republic
Sezimovo Usti
flag msg tools
badge
REALLY badass
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you heard of Among the Stars? That's a pretty established game already and this one builds on the same mechanism, improving it here and there.

Practically speaking, the main difference between this and 7 Wonders (apart from theme, obviously) is the spatial aspect. With this game, the cards do draft the same way, but it matters very much where you put a given card within your square grid. As the card's score / production depends on what cards are there in your surroundings.

Also, for minor differences, the cards probably will not be differentiated by "Ages", but the same in all years (can't grant that, but that was the case in AtS) and there are four ages total. AAAAND... expect it to take even more table space. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having similar thoughts. Understanding that it's somewhat of a retheme of Among the Stars, here are some discussions I found interesting (keeping in mind they fixed some stuff in FoG):

https://m.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/2i15y8/wsig_among...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/829523/among-stars-review-w...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1236946/among-stars-vs-7-wo...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1224878/new-card-drafting-k...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1128555/among-stars-vs-7-wo...

I might pledge just for the theme, though. Some people like the whole farming thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H. S.
Germany
Nidderau
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
myyysha wrote:
Also, for minor differences, the cards probably will not be differentiated by "Ages", but the same in all years (can't grant that, but that was the case in AtS) and there are four ages total. AAAAND... expect it to take even more table space. :)

This is something that I did not like for Among the Stars, the differentiation between ages gives 7 Wonders a much better flow. In the end, I sold my copy of AtS, to me it had too many rough edges. I am curios if this game will be improved compared to AtS..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Looking for resources in how to grow in friendship, unity, and/or intimacy in marriage? - Ask me!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the detailed responses so far all!

Based on the one comment - it matters WHERE you place your card -- it seems to be like Quadropolis meets 7 Wonders.

And based on the links shared, it seems that while a few prefer Among the Stars or FoG, MOST see 7 Wonders as the superior game of the two.

Sure, FoG may ultimately be better than AtS, but in the end it seems to be a little bit of a wash (so far).

I'll definitely continue to keep an eye on the project, and if anybody else would like to chime in and note some key differences between the two, I most certainly welcome that! But for now, I'm not excited enough to spend $50-60 (sleeved) to back it...at least not yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WooHoo1 wrote:

Based on the one comment - it matters WHERE you place your card -- it seems to be like Quadropolis meets 7 Wonders.

And based on the links shared, it seems that while a few prefer Among the Stars or FoG, MOST see 7 Wonders as the superior game of the two.

Sure, FoG may ultimately be better than AtS, but in the end it seems to be a little bit of a wash (so far).

I'll definitely continue to keep an eye on the project, and if anybody else would like to chime in and note some key differences between the two, I most certainly welcome that! But for now, I'm not excited enough to spend $50-60 (sleeved) to back it...at least not yet.

I see FoG as advanced 7 Wonders. It has the spatial placement component. Event cards that add global effects to all players, plus the 2 player version looks superior to 7 wonder 2 player with FoG's new way for 2 players to draft cards.
I own every 7 wonders product ( even fan made) and fields of green is an instant back for me.

There is no harm in waiting to buy until you play it.
Retail will be $60
All the backer cards will be sold later( probably at the BGG store)

The only thing you will not get is the 3 promo Essen cards called Crop circle.

So wait to buy, check it out, and if you like it you are only spending $15-20 plus shipping more to get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you watch the play through video by Rahdo?
To me FoG looks a little more complex than 7 Wonders. So does Rahdo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders never had any appeal to me. It just lacked something for me.
AtS I did like even had it on love to have in my wishlist.
But FoG just clicked for me.
The drafting (with great 2 player rules), the spatial building of your farm, the delivery of water to make food and get that to your livestock for money. Loved how you can choose your hand every turn from drawing from 4 different decks. And I must confess I'm actually a fan of the farming theme (when it's done good).

This game was an auto pledge after seeing Rahdo's runthrough on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, you can get it and then resell it if you don't like it. I expect the kickstarter version will be much sought after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wren08 wrote:
You know, you can get it and then resell it if you don't like it. I expect the kickstarter version will be much sought after.

As I mentioned before, I'm not completely writing it off (and the SG's is one reason why), but I'm not all-in just yet either. I'll be keeping an eye on it, and even have the KS 48 hour reminder set as well! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you could cross FoG with 7W theme my wife would be ecstatic!

Fields of Wonder?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:
If you could cross FoG with 7W theme my wife would be ecstatic!

Fields of Wonder?

Or 7 Greens, the game for golf lovers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Starek
Czech Republic
Sezimovo Usti
flag msg tools
badge
REALLY badass
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan Torf wrote:
myyysha wrote:

This is something that I did not like for Among the Stars, the differentiation between ages gives 7 Wonders a much better flow. In the end, I sold my copy of AtS, to me it had too many rough edges. I am curios if this game will be improved compared to AtS..

Oh I forgot to mention, while 7 Wonders is still my go-to game for larger groups of slightly experienced gamers... and while I consider 7 Wonders to be the "best world's boardgame playable under an hour"... I consider Among the Stars to be superior game to 7W as such. I'm a sucker for sci-fi, but on the whole, the spatial aspect brings a lot more strategy and ways to think about.
My greatest annoyance of Among the Stars - scoring after each turn and thus slowing down the game flow - was fixed in Fields of Green. Heck, even though I dislike farming games, I'm probably gonna back it anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
St-Bruno-de-Montarville (Near Montreal)
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WooHoo1 wrote:

First, let me say that 7 Wonders is my most love game overall as it can be player with a lot of people, more casual or gamers. I have all but the Babel expansion. I was often time curious about Among the Stars, but never pull the trigger on it because I saw some drawback for me to replace 7 Wonders. But the enhancement in Fields of Green (see here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1619153/key-differences-amo...) make me very interested in this game immediately, notably the shorter setup time, the build your own hand, and the enhanced ressources management (with now more to manage). And the theme is more accessible to people, especially friends and family members that are not gamers.

As most people pointed out already, one big difference between FoG and 7W is the spatial aspect, as you don't just draft cards, you need to place them somewhere logical.

But the other great difference for me is that FoG play great at the 2-players count, which is for me a common player count (although I'm in the camp of people that think the the 2-players variant of 7W is good enough). But yes, it doesn't support more than 4 players (yet) as 7W. But, they will certainly do like they did for AtS and release a 5-6 players expansion in the following year(s). And in the mean time, I have already cover how the game could be scale up a bit to 5 player or maybe 6 players here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1626159/future-5-6-players-...

Also, the setup time of FoG is minimal compared to 7W, as you just shuffle and play. Base 7W wasn't too bad as you were just adding the Guild cards, but you still needed to sort the cards to adjust to the player count. But with the Cities expansion, you have to again add new cards in each Age deck, and this is a negative point of this expansion for me (Leaders was just use it of not and was great in this regards).

Now the playing time. FoG is a fast setup game and a fast playing game. 7W is a relatively fast game to setup and is fast to play (base), but all the expansion of 7W have really slow it down for us. So these 2 games will show up on the tables on different occasions IMO (because of this and the player count difference).

Replayability wise, I think that FoG will have great replayability, right out of the box (especially the KS edition as it features more cards and the Event cards too). At least the same amount than base 7 Wonders in my opinion, but not more than 7 Wonders with expansions. But this is an unfair comparison IMO. And I'm sure that, if FoG is a success, we will see expansions to this in a near future, so then, we will be able to do a fair comparison between the two.

So that pretty sums it all for me. I love 7 Wonders and it was also for me an instant-pledge, as even if those 2 games have some similarities, they won't have the same feel to it at all. And I honestly think that it might become my wife new favorite game (and she love 7 Wonders).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thomas
United States
Tn
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think i'm done with Artipia personally. I own or owned quite a few of their games and none of them got played more than twice. The only one i might play a few times would be Project Elite, whenever the hell it arrives (ONE YEAR LATE ON SHIPPING KS), then sell it. ATS just flat out sucked for 2 player and my buddy that KS'd it said that the game left a foul taste in his mouth to ever kick start another project. I have FoG on watch, but highly doubt i will care to back Artipia anytime soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohbee wrote:
I think i'm done with Artipia personally. I own or owned quite a few of their games and none of them got played more than twice. The only one i might play a few times would be Project Elite, whenever the hell it arrives (ONE YEAR LATE ON SHIPPING KS), then sell it. ATS just flat out sucked for 2 player and my buddy that KS'd it said that the game left a foul taste in his mouth to ever kick start another project. I have FoG on watch, but highly doubt i will care to back Artipia anytime soon.

Rahdo is giving it high praise...and others have already noted in pretty good detail how FoG improves upon the formula of AtS. With 1,200 backers (so far) I'm still quite intrigued by the project. Not backing just yet, but definitely intrigued.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Baker
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
Spaceball One... they've gone to PLAID!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohbee wrote:
ATS just flat out sucked for 2 player

Then again, most people say the same about 7 Wonders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thomas
United States
Tn
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
daveybe wrote:
Ohbee wrote:
ATS just flat out sucked for 2 player

Then again, most people say the same about 7 Wonders.

just my feelings of lately; i know alot of people rate it high, as 4 player works for a card drafting game. just not my jam right now, but i took this thread off topic, back to the point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.