Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggested (but not tried) in Munchkinland.

The suggestion is that in the first turn, Storm first bumps up his Shrine to a Temple, then summon Thunder King.

In turn 2, he gets 4 Power in the Power phase (2 for his one bldg type, 1 Glorantha boost, 1 for his Gift received for the King). He can ensure 2 more points for Kinship, which means he'll start with 6 Power, perfectly adequate. On the other hand, he'll only have 1 VP, which sucks.

It seems like it might work pretty well. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wurtil
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is actually the only Storm opening I have seen from our two PnP games. Also combined with convincing Sky to rain down his Great Decrees in exchange for Kinship and teleporting to give Yelm permission on turn 2. Has worked out very well for those factions so far, especially since early Kinship and Noblesse Oblige mean that those two sides have a strong incentive to keep cooperating for at least a few turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
Sound pretty legit to me. 6 power for the second turn is the best you can expect as a non-chaos player and lagging a bit behind in VP is exactly what Storm want in the early game. I definitly want to try that one.

This also mean that Orlanth is up and ready to go around smacking chaos nest wich can be a problem to handle otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with smacking Chaos Nests is that it doesn't directly advance your own faction's goals. In fact, going this helps your non-Chaos rivals as much as yourself. Why shouldn't THEY bear some of the burden. After all, they have more VP than you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
But thats the whole conundrum with Chaos right ? Nobody want to be the one dealing with nests because smacking them does not advance your own agenda very much. Sky can get a single heroquest from it and it can contribute to the big Dark heroquest, but thats only 1 nest once in the whole game. Yet if nobody tries to deal with Chaos early on, it can build a pretty dangerous advantage.

Orlanth is really good to do this because he can telport around and as a greater god he is immune to inbeded nests. But if you are good at something don't do it for free ! Ask for Great Decree and for thoses sweet runes of the Black Market in exchange. I'm sure the other factions will have some means to motivate Orlanth too. Also Storm can turn nests into temples with Insurgency so its not entirely fruitless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörg Baumgartner
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played Chaos against a three player alliance, a good move against Chaos is to leave the nests alone (ok, they still generate VP, but no power) but to target the accompanying non-Chaos building that the nests leach their power from. When the rift opens, Chaos is left with up to three isolated nests per round as the other empires toss infected buildings into the rift. As Chaos you can eliminate a solitary nest to bring back any broo losses moving there with Thed, but that takes time and some power. Other players helping you there should be appreciated.

The Cosmic Compromise makes Chaos suffer if it is anything like in the lead. Deprived of the chance to get the First Player role (except for one potentially game-deciding rune), the Compromise will eat up any VP advantage Chaos may have built, even if it is only public enemy #2. The only way to balance this is through the runes, or depopulating the board with the Mad God for fun and profit (destroying any building that gives your rivals VPs without giving you power).

There are about 20 areas on the four player maps - if Chaos nests occupy 5 or 6 of these, that leaves 5 without nests per player, enough so you don't fall back in terms of victory points while depriving Chaos of leached power. So unless you get a gift out of removing a Chaos nest, there isn't much incentive to destroy one, unless you prefer to have a clean ziggurat area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm now wondering what other 'Odd Openings' might be feasible...

Sky could spend 2 Power on a Great Decree to give Dark 2 Power, which would give Dark enough Power to build a Shrine, upgrade it to a Temple, bring out the Hellmother, and build 1 more Shrine, theoretically letting Yelm out of Hell during the first turn in a mutually beneficial boost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kuznick
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't bringing Orlanth out like this just asking to be attacked multiple times by cheap units?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
Not really. On the first turn, power is very tight and going out of your way to try and fight Orlanth is not a cheap endeavor. Building units and going to war on the first turn mean you are not building your power base and are going into the second turn weaker than the other players.

Maybe some of the expansion empires have a way to thwart this particular Storm opening without setting themselves back too hard, but with the base box empires its relatively safe.

Although... I just realized something. The new wording of Inferiority Complex is a nerf to this opening. With only 1 VP you wont be able to use Inferiority Complex on the next power phase. Unless you take the VP from Kinship, wich mean you will be quite low on power. So its more of a gamble now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clarence
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kinship occur in council phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
whipko wrote:
kinship occur in council phase.

Exactly... wich happen after the power phase.

Action phase 1: Do the Orlanth opening.

Power Phase 1: Get power from your single temple, Glorantha boost and gift. Can't use Inferiority Complex, because you have no VP yet.

Council Phase 1: Score 1 VP for your building and then choose what you get from Kinship. Either you end the phase with 6 power and 1 VP or 4 power and 2 VP.

Action Phase 2: Do whatever.

Power Phase 2: If you took the power form Kinship you can't use Inferiority Complex because you still only have 1 VP.

So, you can still do the Orlanth opener but it will either leave you with very little power for the second turn or set you back on your first cash in of Inferiority Complex. I still think it can be a good opening if you can secure a Sky sponsorship for the second turn tough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
6 power turn two is actually the norm if not on the high end.

I think the only problem with this strategy is Darkness can come and kill your greater god on the second turn, so you'll have to get your champion/dudes out fairly quickly to protect him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörg Baumgartner
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jorganos wrote:
There are about 20 areas on the four player maps - if Chaos nests occupy 5 or 6 of these, that leaves 5 without nests per player, enough so you don't fall back in terms of victory points while depriving Chaos of leached power. So unless you get a gift out of removing a Chaos nest, there isn't much incentive to destroy one, unless you prefer to have a clean ziggurat area.

Having watched the actual play video from the Kickstarter updates, I noticed the absence of buildings on the map - hardly any territory was claimed. That explains the big VP margin that Chaos could save into the final round. A simple empire building strategy placing all of one's shrines would have increased the VP score by 4 per game round, as opposed to some of the less useful shenanigans (like leaving great gods basically unaccompanied in battles).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.