7 Posts

Battle Line» Forums » General

Subject: Alternative Tactic Cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Nairb
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, love this game! My wife and I easily get frustrated with each other playing games, but we can play this one all day.

However, we decided that some of the tactic cards are just not the same strategically as others and so we have taken them out of the game:

We took out Scout because Scout sucks. The other tactics are clearly better.
We took out the two wilds because they are too good. They are clearly much better than any other tactic and reduce some of the strategy to the game. Basically if you get one and your opponent doesnt, you will win.

The other tactics seem balanced, and we want to turn the 3 we took out into something balanced. Has anyone come up with alternative tactics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iamadoorknob wrote:
First of all, love this game! My wife and I easily get frustrated with each other playing games, but we can play this one all day.

However, we decided that some of the tactic cards are just not the same strategically as others and so we have taken them out of the game:

We took out the two wilds because they are too good. They are clearly much better than any other tactic and reduce some of the strategy to the game. Basically if you get one and your opponent doesnt, you will win.

The other tactics seem balanced, and we want to turn the 3 we took out into something balanced. Has anyone come up with alternative tactics?

I think you have group think. If you don't want your opponent playing tactics, don't play any yourself. They can only play one more than you so after playing 1 they have a hand full of tactics and you don't. I don't think it's true at all that someone who plays a leader will win. The last game I played against an experienced opponent he drew both leaders so he couldn't play one of them and clogged up his hand, and I won. I personally wouldn't play without the tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaron Racah
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Our fix for the scout is to only return 1 card after drawing 3, leaving you with your hand permanently increased to 8 cards. We find that this turns it into a playable tactic, especially if you really need to skip your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nairb
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klbush wrote:
iamadoorknob wrote:

I think you have group think. If you don't want your opponent playing tactics, don't play any yourself. They can only play one more than you so after playing 1 they have a hand full of tactics and you don't. I don't think it's true at all that someone who plays a leader will win. The last game I played against an experienced opponent he drew both leaders so he couldn't play one of them and clogged up his hand, and I won. I personally wouldn't play without the tactics.

If you have more tactic cards in your hand than you can play, you're playing wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Rothenberg
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yaron wrote:
Our fix for the scout is to only return 1 card after drawing 3, leaving you with your hand permanently increased to 8 cards. We find that this turns it into a playable tactic, especially if you really need to skip your turn.

Wow, I absolutely adore the scout. Everyone realizes you get to return any 2 cards from the total 9 cards you have in hand after drawing? I think the new version has different rules, but the version I play has you put the 2 cards back on top of their respective piles. So you can draw and then return whatever cards you find least useful (even ones that have been clogging your hand for a while) and have knowledge about what your opponent draws if she draws what you placed onto the deck. I think it is very much a playable tactic as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bmun wrote:
Wow, I absolutely adore the scout. Everyone realizes you get to return any 2 cards from the total 9 cards you have in hand after drawing?
Do yo choose from which piles you will draw, before starting to draw? or do you decide one by one after looking at the first and second drawn cards?
I still dont know which the oficial rule is about.

Anyway I also say scout is not bad at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yaron wrote:

Increasing the hand size to 8 overpowers the scout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.