Subject: To Your Scattered Bodies Go rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen Cordell
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this game yet, but from my understanding the characters wake up naked in a weird place with no idea how they got there and eventually have to build settlements and battle monsters to survive. Though the details are different, the general premise reminds me of 'To Your Scattered Bodies Go,' the book by Philip José Farmer where characters wake up naked next to a seemingly endless river in some strange place not knowing how they got there. They eventually build settlements and go on adventures, etc. I wonder if there was any inspiration derived from 'To Your Scattered Bodies Go,' or if it's just pure coincidence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
By far the most obvious influence IMHO is Berserk, though I've heard a lot of Monster Hunter. I've never heard of that book, but it's definitely possible, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Welnicki
Poland
Gdansk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
By far the most obvious influence IMHO is Berserk, though I've heard a lot of Monster Hunter. I've never heard of that book, but it's definitely possible, though.

I also see a lot of Berserk (and Dark Souls) and Geiger in it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Wu
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably only Poots knows the answer to this, but the KD world is definitely exponentially darker than that of the Riverworld novels (of which "To Your Scattered Bodies Go" is the first book). Especially since a major part of that world is that permanent death is rare... which is pretty much the opposite of KDM

Interesting connection though, there are definitely some surface similarities and it wasn't a comparison that had ever come to mind for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hervuli wrote:
Probably only Poots knows the answer to this, but the KD world is definitely exponentially darker than that of the Riverworld novels (of which "To Your Scattered Bodies Go" is the first book). Especially since a major part of that world is that permanent death is rare... which is pretty much the opposite of KDM

Interesting connection though, there are definitely some surface similarities and it wasn't a comparison that had ever come to mind for me.

Yeah, I didn't mean the darkness or aesthetic or even the philosophy of it, I just meant the premise of characters waking up naked in a strange world, not knowing how they got there and forming settlements, etc... felt similar to me. And on top of that all of the other influences mentioned above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I'm most reminded of the Belly of the Beast (gluttony's stomach) in Full Metal Alchemist.

It also helps that if Envy were a miniature, he'd look right at home on the Plane of Faces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Man
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mockerre wrote:
spiralingcadaver wrote:

I'm going to be the odd one out and say there isn't that much Beserk. I really don't see them as that similar to assume he was inspired by it. All they share is big scary monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fen, having not played the original WHQ, cool to hear that reference.
Zenman12 wrote:
[...]there isn't that much Beserk. I really don't see them as that similar to assume he was inspired by it. All they share is big scary monsters.

Zen, really? I mean, really? You think this didn't inspire KD?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Zenman12 wrote:
Mockerre wrote:
spiralingcadaver wrote:

I'm going to be the odd one out and say there isn't that much Beserk. I really don't see them as that similar to assume he was inspired by it. All they share is big scary monsters.

...yeah. No. The above picture is plenty of inspiration similarity, but also the Slayer and Perfect Slayer swords are pretty much 1:.9 representations of Guts' sword.

Then there is the Hand, with his exposed brain case, looking very similar to the Godhand Void. Google that in images, some NSFW there.

Then there is the parallel theme with Berserk, being that one very human and falliable man is forcing himself to go out and hunt beings that BREAK REALITY AS IT IS CONCEIVED. Compare and contrast with survivors hunting monsters.

And let's not forget dragons that become men and vice-versa.

So...yeah. It isn't a perfect simacrulum of Berserk. But 7 out of 10 is pretty close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Man
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
Fen, having not played the original WHQ, cool to hear that reference.
Zenman12 wrote:
[...]there isn't that much Beserk. I really don't see them as that similar to assume he was inspired by it. All they share is big scary monsters.

Zen, really? I mean, really? You think this didn't inspire KD?

Forgot about the stone faces there. Hm been a while since I seen it. Point taken. But really. I was thinking of the story about a bandit guy that gets a demon mark and goes to this hellish place where his leader turns on the group (and turns into a monster himself). I dunno.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, yeah, the story isn't very similar, but there are a ton of world/aesthetic parallels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I don't see any influence from Farmer; the waking scenarios are too different. Survivors are blank slates, innocents really, when they wake into an otherworldly nightmare. The people of Riverworld carry all their memories with them, making that world a remix of this one.

Riverworld is all about how much difference exceptional individuals can make in the world. Kingdom Death is all about a world too alien and hostile to understand or change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emmit svenson wrote:
I don't see any influence from Farmer; the waking scenarios are too different. Survivors are blank slates, innocents really, when they wake into an otherworldly nightmare. The people of Riverworld carry all their memories with them, making that world a remix of this one.

Riverworld is all about how much difference exceptional individuals can make in the world. Kingdom Death is all about a world too alien and hostile to understand or change.

Yeah, no, I get that they're about very different things and have very different philosophies, just the basic premise for each is similar. It's kind of like David Lynch's 'Lost Highway' and Michael Haneke's 'Cache.' Though they're completely different movies in every way imaginable, both begin with a character finding a VHS tape on their front step that depicts camcorder footage of their own house recorded on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I think it's likely that both Poots and Farmer were alluding to the creation of Adam and Eve in Genesis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emmit svenson wrote:
I think it's likely that both Poots and Farmer were alluding to the creation of Adam and Eve in Genesis.

Um....

Whoa....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.