Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Akinde
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought Second Edition Age of Napoleon, and already regretting not having got this before - an excellent game. Price of freedom is definitely going to be on my radar.

I was wondering what is people's take on the Optional Rules - i.e., to use them or not - and which ones?

Looking at them, it seems to me that most of them favor the coalition, so I am a little worried about them pushing the balance too much in their favor.

18.1 -> Favors France, as it gives them one chance to dodge the bullet (Coalition Decisive Victory). But it is almost too much fun to NOT use it. I want my Waterloo. Played with this once, but it didn't come into effect-

18.2 -> I think this may more often favor the Coalition, as France seems more likely to lose good Corps (when they would want to take losses in Minor Corps), whereas the Coalition has so many poor Corps that this is hardly noticeable. Played with this, and like it.

18.3 -> Favors the Coalition.

18.4 -> Balanced? Haven't used this yet, though I can see it being useful when Napoleon steamrollers 1 or 2 Corps stacks that are doomed to lose the battle anyway.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Akinde
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... no one has any preferences on the optional rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I basically agree with your assessment. I think all the rules increase historicism at limited added complexity, so I'd use them all. Napoleon Returns rarely results in a reversal of situation, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.