Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Hope you guys can help me out rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Fortin
msg tools
Hi everybody.so we are 5 friends are we are looking for a boardgame to play and have some fun. Here is the feature we are looking for; note that we are all older than 25 y/o and our experience in boardgames is casual like monopoly risk etc.
We are looking for something that would take a long time to complete, something we could leave on a table that would be played on multiple seatings. Or something with a story that could last with caracter developpement.
So I dont know if there is something out there for us but if you guys have any ideas on what would be nice for us to play I would really appreciate it.
Thanks, steven
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pretty sure Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 will be the go-to answer for this question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had the luxury of 5 players willing to do that I would play 7 Ages.
Have a look at Cosmic Encounter and possibly a campaign run of Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) as well.
Good luck finding a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Ghost
badge
Can't You See That You're Lost Without Me?
mbmbmbmbmb
GitFeatures wrote:
If I had the luxury of 5 players willing to do that I would play 7 Ages.
Have a look at Cosmic Encounter and possibly a campaign run of Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) as well.
Good luck finding a game.

For casual players? Maybe Descent if they had some background in RPGs...

Pandemic Legacy is a good suggestion, though I'd recommend playing the base game a few times first to get your feet wet.

One game I really enjoyed early on in the board gaming hobby is Tales of the Arabian Nights. It's not necessarily long, but it has character development, and the stories you tell are all very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to get your "feet wet" into some heavier gaming try Zombicide. Otherwise, give Risk Legacy a try. If the legacy aspect turns you off, try Risk Europe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen 3h
Netherlands
Zwolle
flag msg tools
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) or even better Star Wars: Imperial Assault

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nickel Eye
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deciding on the complexity the group is willing to take on as newer gamers is going to have a big impact on suggestions. Most huge games that take a long time to play are by their nature more complex. The suggested Legacy games might be a good place to look(especially Risk if the group has any familiarity with it).

If the group is willing to take on a little more perhaps Mansions of Madness: Second Edition would be a good fit. It is story driven, has longer play sessions, certainly looks impressive on the table and is app driven. The app may ease the transition to board gaming from video games(something I am just assuming a group of guys in their 20's feel comfortable with) and it will help with some of the book-keeping and fiddlyness that can crop up in a game like this.

Finally if you have someone in the group who is willing to put in some extra work good 'ol Dungeons & Dragons may be a great fit. You won't have to leave it "set up" but the game is designed to be played over as many sessions as you like and it is all about story and interaction. The fifth edition is a nice streamlined version and you can pick up the starter set for $20 or under and it will give you all you need to play a short campaign designed for new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey Steven,

I'm pretty new to boardgames and this website, too. Some of the terms that people on here throw around kind of confused me at first, so in case you don't know, the term Campaign Games is used to refer to games which have a continuing story and character development across play sessions. One particular subtype of campaign games that is pretty popular recently are Legacy games. Legacy games include not only character development across game sessions, but also permanent changes to the game set itself over the course of the campaign. For example, Legacy games may come with stickers which the rules direct players to use to permanently alter the board itself during the course of the campaign. I myself haven't played a Legacy game, but I know that some people enjoy them because they feel that it gives them a very unique campaign experience, while some people dislike the fact that the game is permanently altered. Hope that was helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.