jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well this seems like a horrible idea and a way to kill innovation.


Quote:
Massachusetts is preparing to levy a 5-cent fee per trip on ride-hailing apps such as Uber and Lyft and spend the money on the traditional taxi industry, a subsidy that appears to be the first of its kind in the United States.

Republican Governor Charlie Baker signed the nickel fee into law this month as part of a sweeping package of regulations for the industry.

Ride services are not enthusiastic about the fee.

"I don't think we should be in the business of subsidizing potential competitors," said Kirill Evdakov, the chief executive of Fasten, a ride service that launched in Boston last year and also operates in Austin, Texas.

Some taxi owners wanted the law to go further, perhaps banning the start-up competitors unless they meet the requirements taxis do, such as regular vehicle inspection by the police.



http://www.reuters.com/article/us-massachusetts-uber-idUSKCN...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Well this seems like a horrible idea and a way to kill innovation.


Quote:
Massachusetts is preparing to levy a 5-cent fee per trip on ride-hailing apps such as Uber and Lyft and spend the money on the traditional taxi industry, a subsidy that appears to be the first of its kind in the United States.

Republican Governor Charlie Baker signed the nickel fee into law this month as part of a sweeping package of regulations for the industry.

Ride services are not enthusiastic about the fee.

"I don't think we should be in the business of subsidizing potential competitors," said Kirill Evdakov, the chief executive of Fasten, a ride service that launched in Boston last year and also operates in Austin, Texas.

Some taxi owners wanted the law to go further, perhaps banning the start-up competitors unless they meet the requirements taxis do, such as regular vehicle inspection by the police.



http://www.reuters.com/article/us-massachusetts-uber-idUSKCN...

I agree that this is a bad idea.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
Avatar
mbmbmb
Terribly backwards idea.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How about we just reduce regulations on the taxi companies?
5 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
Avatar
mbmbmb
sfox wrote:
How about we just reduce regulations on the taxi companies?


I'd be happy letting them just die myself.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I drive myself. Meh.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like enforcing this idea would be next to impossible.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
How about we just reduce regulations on the taxi companies?


I think that should accompany it. I really do.

But doing that wouldn't improve the service. How does a taxi's need for frequent inspections at a higher level make the service more palatable? Have them be inspected less rigorously, and they still will show up late, have surly drivers, and cost twice as much. Now they will just get to smell even MORE like a foot.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a remarkably dumb and regressive idea....


Ferret
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. Agreed. This is stupid. For all that I love me some taxes sometimes, I do not like using them to prop up losing business models, for all that its gonna cost jobs.

And yeah, reducing Taxi regulation seems to be the correct choice, but I do not know much about that industry (someone here does, yeah?) so I can't attest to how much is stupid regulation, how much is stupid but helpful regulation, and how much is helpful regulation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fuck protectionism.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
sfox wrote:
How about we just reduce regulations on the taxi companies?


I think that should accompany it. I really do.

But doing that wouldn't improve the service. How does a taxi's need for frequent inspections at a higher level make the service more palatable? Have them be inspected less rigorously, and they still will show up late, have surly drivers, and cost twice as much. Now they will just get to smell even MORE like a foot.


Then I'll use Uber instead...

As with a high percentage of all such regulations, the regulations around taxi service were not created by the public, they were created by the taxi companies to keep out the competition.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Pushing a lesbian old growth union-approved agenda since '94.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Another rare RSP agreement, though we haven't heard from Koldie yet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
Another rare RSP agreement, though we haven't heard from Koldie yet.


Only ridiculous conservatives are for protectionist subsidization when it helps them directly -- I don't think he's ideologically inconsistent.

Said another way, I don't think many people on RSP will support this -- not even the cab drivers, because it's just too stupid of an idea.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This doesn't actually help cab drivers. It's a bailout for the medallion owners. The cab drivers themselves could just switch to uber if it would be a better job for them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.