27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Americans in Israel campaigning hard for Trump rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: But_Obama_Did_it! [+] [View All]
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Interesting. I had no idea there were so many Americans living in Israel that could still vote in US elections.

http://us.cnn.com/2016/08/23/politics/donald-trump-israel-am...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do they determine where they are registered to vote, or is it just wherever they like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
There's no realistic way that faction will have an impact on the election.

As a social movement it's interesting to me (Hyperconservative American Jews who have an almost evangelical protestant position on Israel & Middle East Policy) but that's a pretty big and touchy subject.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area / Currently I sponsor gaming groups in Monroe & Alexandria, LA.
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

windsagio wrote:

As a social movement it's interesting to me (Hyperconservative American Jews who have an almost evangelical protestant position on Israel & Middle East Policy) but that's a pretty big and touchy subject.

And yet, the article clearly states:

CNN.com wrote:

Republicans believe that if they get enough Israeli votes, they could influence tightly contested swing states. In 2000, George W. Bush won Florida and the presidency with only 537 votes.

Israel has 200,000 eligible American voters, according to the non-partisan organization IVoteIsrael, which registers American Israelis to vote. The State Department estimates that there are 9,000,000 U.S. citizens living abroad but couldn't provide numbers of voters from different countries.

Last election, Republican Mitt Romney won 85% of the vote in Israel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just absentee ballots. You need to have eligibility to vote in that state. Usually having established a residency.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
How do they determine where they are registered to vote, or is it just wherever they like?

It goes by the last place of residence in the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:

To be honest, I do have acquaintances who wish to vote for Trump but they are uniformly my less religious acquaintances. The sample size is not enough to prove anything in and of itself but is an interesting datum. I suspect that more religious non-Christians see Trump as antipathetic to themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
windsagio wrote:

To be honest, I do have acquaintances who wish to vote for Trump but they are uniformly my less religious acquaintances. The sample size is not enough to prove anything in and of itself but is an interesting datum. I suspect that more religious non-Christians see Trump as antipathetic to themselves.

Heh, I didn't say 'hyper-religious' or 'hyper-orthodox', I said 'hyperconservative' :p

For the reason you mentioned - outside observation is always tricky, but the trend I'm talking about seems to have a lot more in common with the American Evangelical Movement than what you'd describe as Orthodox Judaism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mb
Well 85% of that vote went to Romney in the last election. I have a feeling Trump won't get that kind of turnout in this election.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
whac3 wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

So Moshe, you a registered American voter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

In theory yes but the state I'm registered in will not send absentee ballots to people outside the country for more than two years. So I am effectively a disenfranchised voter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

In theory yes but the state I'm registered in will not send absentee ballots to people outside the country for more than two years. So I am effectively a disenfranchised voter.

It's probably because you don't have a voter ID.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
mbmbmb
It's Texas. Voter suppression at work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought overseas voting was handled by the Federal Post Card Application, might have to swing by an embassy/consulate though. But I don't recall a time out of country element to eligibility. I don't think I've voted absentee for the primaries ever though. Military is a weird one though as I think it goes by home of record over current residence as it's where your income taxes are calculated from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
I'm not your lover. I'm not your friend.
badge
I am something you will never comprehend.
mbmbmbmbmb
With Obama trying to help Iran turn Israel into glass, I can't see why anyone there would vote for a Democrat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
With Obama trying to help Iran turn Israel into glass, I can't see why anyone there would vote for a Democrat.

Iran gave up nearly all of its enriched Uranium largely due to Obama's efforts. And they aren't going to get it back any time soon.

Many Israeli generals knew that the Iran deal made Israel safer, but they couldn't afford to publicly disagree with Netanyahu.

Edit: Citation added: http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2015/08/israeli-military-bras...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikePustilnik wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Iran gave up nearly all of its enriched Uranium largely due to Obama's efforts. And they aren't going to get it back any time soon.

The entire Iran nuke deal was built on a lie, propped up by a lie, distributed through lies, and sold with lies. If you believe Obama, you have bought into the lies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

Texas is required to send you one if you request it, and if they don't you can use the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot. Since I assume you don't plan to return to live in the US, you probably can't vote in state or local elections but you can always vote in Federal elections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
MikePustilnik wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

The entire Iran nuke deal was built on a lie, propped up by a lie, distributed through lies, and sold with lies. If you believe Obama, you have bought into the lies.

And if it's one thing Drew knows, it's lies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
MikePustilnik wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

And if it's one thing Drew knows, it's lies.

Actually, I think we have amble evidence that he doesn't know what are and are not lies.

Or he doesn't know what the word 'lies' means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SPIGuy wrote:
It's Texas. Voter suppression at work.

Actually no. I went to graduate school in MA and paid state taxes there which established residency. So I'm a registered voter in Massachusetts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
whac3 wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

Texas is required to send you one if you request it, and if they don't you can use the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot. Since I assume you don't plan to return to live in the US, you probably can't vote in state or local elections but you can always vote in Federal elections.

Thanks for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geez, guys, even the New York Times pointed out the lies that were used to sell the Iran deal. If you're not going to believe your own propaganda sheet when it conflicts with the White House narrative, who are you going to believe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Exclusive: Trump beats Clinton in Israeli absentee-voter exit poll

D. Trump 49%
H. Clinton 44%
Gary Johnson 2%
Apparently about 5% refused to vote on the presidential line...
+/- 3% margin of error

http://www.jpost.com/US-Elections/Exclusive-Trump-beats-Clin...

About one-third of the votes went to New York, not exactly a swing state.

The total number of votes coming from Israel, 30,000, is significantly lower than voter turnout in Israel in 2012, 80,000.

In 2012, the Israel results were 84% for Romney and 14% for Obama.

In comparison Romney's best state in 2012 was Utah where he got 73% while he only received 30% of the "living in the United States Jewish vote" which is worst than he did in every state except Obama's native Hawaii.

(And I was hoping Israel would be smart enough to open up some type of black hole time suck for the year 2016...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Somebody LEARN if presently those "Absentee Ballots" are even awaited upon and 'accounted into the mix' UNLESS it is a relatively close "voter tally", for around 5% or less betwixt BOTH Candidates?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.