$30.00
Jeffrey Secrest
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get your financial affairs in order! shake
One week from today, August 30th Epic Dice Tower Defense will be launching!
Get aboard as it's been hinted that first day backers are in for something special!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Secrest
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The updated Harpy silhouette is FAR superior to the first version! Can't wait to see what else gets upgraded?! surprise
I think the Unit Card idea is excellent. I wonder if dice color or the color of the engraved image could be used to indicate a unit's ability or which aspect of the game their ability effects? Different colors could represent abilities that effect the Buy Phase, Towers, Attack, Victory Points and finally Clean Up? The visual cue of color-coding along with the Unit Cards would help with ease of play.

(from the KS 'Updates' page)

Launch Date: August 30th. I may have a first day promotion of some sort, but there will be no pop goals (nothing that gives incentive to DELAY your pledge).
I want to announce that I'm creating unit cards. You can see some concept art for the troll card above. This will serve a lot of cool functions. 1. It will serve as a player aid, with important information available to all players in the center of the table. This will drastically reduce the need to reference the rulebook, AND reduce player paralysis. 2. It will help organize the supply. 3. It paves the road for a modular game (like Dominion), where the available units can be randomized. This makes it possible to eventually introduce new units in the future without requiring a masterful level of balance. It also means that players don't need to memorize more when we introduce new units (a weakness of Dungeon Dice).
I've reworked some of the less inspiring dice artwork. Here's the new harpy, for example.

I'm excited to finally get this game made. Hope to see you there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Potluck Games

Utah
msg tools
publisher
I've been looking into various ways to display the units specialty, but some units simply don't fall neatly into one group. I consider three basic unit types: destruction, scoring, and support.

If you take the orcs, for example, they rank high in all three fields. Currently the cards will display each side of the die and a number for scoring strength, but I ditched the concept of color coding by type because there are many hybrid units.

If I hear a better idea, I'm likely to incorporate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Secrest
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I thought color coding could provide a reminder to players cluing them in on the nature of the unit abilities.

Abilities that effect:
Towers - Grey
Opponent's Units - Red
Your Units - Blue
etc.

I see what you mean though, some abilities are not so easily categorized often falling into multiple camps. For instance the 'Brimstone' ability of The Demon which effects Towers and Minions.

This project has been percolating on your back burner for some time now so I'm sure many of us are anxious to see what you've cooked up! Tuesday can't come soon enough blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In theory you could still do

Towers: Yellow
Opponents Units: Magenta
Your Units: Cyan

and then mix the colors as a printer would do. So the Demon would then be in orange color. Not sure if worth it as probably not many people would find it useful and it might have problems with visibility versus some background colors. And I think 'orange pumpkins' are more immersive then pink ones just so that the ink of the symbols is visible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Potluck Games

Utah
msg tools
publisher

So, for those of you checking in on the BGG page, I bet you'd like a sneak preview of a unit card. The goblin dice are stored below it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Secrest
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks decent. The 'translucent' text fields look too clean to fit the Fantasy theme of the game. The edges/border areas should be 'raw' (ragged,pitted etc.)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it looks good the way it is. (It is not my intention to be argumentative.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Secrest
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Understood and I agree that it looks good but with the additional thought that it could look better. All the perfectly straight lines gives it a slick modern look that clashes with the chaotic fantasy battlefield feel of the game. With towers falling and monsters clashing all those stiff lines takes the life out of the images allowing for a visual disconnect.

The term 'Victory Points' is ubiquitous with games of all sorts but I wonder if Epic Dice Tower Defense would be better served with a more relevant term. Instead of earning victory points players could 'capture banners'? It feels very evocative of smashing through defenses, slaying enemies and wresting from them the spoils of war?

rogue148 wrote:
I think it looks good the way it is. (It is not my intention to be argumentative.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Secrest
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am VERY excited in anticipation of tomorrow's BIG relaunch!
Do KickStarter campaigns typically start at any certain hour? Will there be further details announced prior to launch or do we just stalk Potluck Games?
ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Potluck has a tendency to jump the gun on their KS's. Sounds like it might be the same for this one. Look for it sometime tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's live!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.