Subject: New to collectable games - Suggestions & Clarifications? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Steimel
United States
Belmont
Michigan
flag msg tools
I've never played or gone down the path of collectable games, but I'm running into a few high-level questions (if anyone could help). I'm interested in this series and the game looks like it could be pretty fun overall - lighter to learn and demo to my wife and a few in my group.

1.) Do these types of games ever grow beyond 2-player?
1.a) If not, should I purchase two of each of the starters if we had 4 people who wanted to play at a given game night? Or is this a build once and never touch it approach?
2.) This is light side vs dark side? As-in, should I order white vs dark backed card sleeves for this game?
3.) What's the best way to store all these dice? I know a few members here were big into DiceMasters - was there an easy way to sort and store?

Basically, our group is a pretty constant 4-person group but was thinking that if we purchased a few starter sets, then people could just build from like a flexible community pool of cards for that night? Maybe I'm confused on how these types of games play out... Anyone? whistle Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes. If it isn't built directly into the rules, it won't take long for variants to pop up online.
1a. A starter for each person is the perfect place to start, but as/if you buy new cards, people will want to create their own decks.
2. Some cards are dark side only, some are light side only, but others are neutral and can be used by either side. The sleeves are up to you, but know that you'll have to resleeve cards as they move between decks.
3. Most people seem to promote some sort of tackle box or tool box with a bunch of tiny compartments. This will be my first dice game (7th or so card game) so I don't have a ton of advice there. I found this place http://www.dogmight.com/dicechest, and their products just seem awesome, though I don't know if the Destiny dice are too big or not.

The starter sets are fixed. Each Rey deck is the same, each Kylo deck is the same. The only way to get different cards is to buy packs or singles.

Playing a collectible game like a board game (that is, just having one set of cards that everyone pulls from) is going to be a bad time. Everyone is going to want to customize their own deck, and therefore need to buy their own cards. There will be different strategies, but some cards are just going to be flat out better than others, and if only Player 1 gets to use those cards at any given time, Players 2-4 will not be pleased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
3. I believe the dice here are much bigger than dice masters, but a simple plano-style box should still work. Or maybe just a single large container, since they're color-coded and should be easier to sort on the fly.

I disagree with Mike's stance that having one set that everyone pulls from is going to be bad. Of course, there are going to be some cards that are strictly better than others, but if you do a draft or other agreement then Player 1 is only going to get the "best" card, while 2-4 can get a copy of the 1-4th best cards, assuming there are any duplicates. With many collectible and collectible-adjacent games, I have the only pool, and there are dozens of builds I can make without anyone feeling disadvantaged. Best often depends on what you are going for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Steimel
United States
Belmont
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thanks of all the feedback so far.

Have they released details around how many points or cards a person can have in their hand? Trying to judge if 4 starter kits (2 of each) is the way to go or if I should just get one of each and say 20 booster packs (which should give us enough options to build more)?

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Kirk
msg tools
mbmbmb
hpnotiqcrunk wrote:
Thanks of all the feedback so far.

Have they released details around how many points or cards a person can have in their hand? Trying to judge if 4 starter kits (2 of each) is the way to go or if I should just get one of each and say 20 booster packs (which should give us enough options to build more)?

Thoughts?

I think this really depends on your budget. If you are playing with 4 people then I would say for sure 4 starter kits. If your budget supports 20 boosters go for it. Depending on where you are getting these from you can also get deals on a full box 36 boosters and it makes them slightly cheaper each. I would think for 4 people though 20 boosters would be more than enough. Really you might be able to get away with 10-15 as a minimum. 5 cards each, you need 6 cards per deck to fill them out at a minimum. 2.5 cards per side in each deck perhaps so 3-4 packs per player would probably be the min.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Groll
Germany
Marburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
I disagree with Mike's stance that having one set that everyone pulls from is going to be bad. Of course, there are going to be some cards that are strictly better than others, but if you do a draft or other agreement then Player 1 is only going to get the "best" card, while 2-4 can get a copy of the 1-4th best cards, assuming there are any duplicates. With many collectible and collectible-adjacent games, I have the only pool, and there are dozens of builds I can make without anyone feeling disadvantaged. Best often depends on what you are going for.

I agree with Darrel. Having just one cardpool is not a bad thing. It might even be the best thing if you want to play the game in a casual environment (game night with your friends). Many gamers use a "Cube" for drafting cards directly at the gaming table which is already a ton of fun (or 7 Wonders wouldn't be a thing), building decks and then playing against each other. And if only one player buys a reasonable collection of cards, all in all money will be saved as not all players will chase after the rare (=expensive) cards.

Obviously nobody knows yet how many cards/dice you will have to buy in order to put together such a drafting cube, but my guess is that with four (different?) starters and one grav feed of boosters you might have most (all?) you need to play casually with four players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Steimel
United States
Belmont
Michigan
flag msg tools
I just found this post today on Fantasy Flights forums:
https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/226639-info-f...

Someone has included screenshots of what appears to be the rulebook. If you haven't seen these yet, they'r worth checking out. Seems pretty balanced in terms of actions and rule sets. I didn't see if villians could fight villains for example... but covers the other curious questions for the most part (except this multiple dice point system per 1-character card).

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hpnotiqcrunk wrote:

Someone has included screenshots of what appears to be the rulebook.

I don't know if they are the final rules but it is what the people had that were demoing the game at gencon.

hpnotiqcrunk wrote:
I didn't see if villians could fight villains for example

They can

hpnotiqcrunk wrote:
... but covers the other curious questions for the most part (except this multiple dice point system per 1-character card).

It covers that in the deckbuilding rules on the last page under "Building Your Team"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Farnum
msg tools
I played it at Gencon and the dice really don't change this much from every other CCG. You will pour money into a giant hole trying to find that one card you most desire. Then do it all over again when the next expansion comes out. You would be better off with a LCG that gives you every card in the set you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Accident Gamer
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Same pessimistic view can be said about LCGs...

You will pour money into a giant hole trying to find that one card getting the 3 cards you most desire. Then do it all over again when the next expansion data pack comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Kirk
msg tools
mbmbmb
Both hobbies are or can be expensive. I like both models as others have said. Really both boil down to how much you want to spend. While I agree that the LCG model means spending money and knowing EXACTLY what you will get, this does not mean you WILL spend less. They often put good cards with not so good cards, and if you want all the "good" cards you are still buying every set.

But I also enjoy the collectible games aspect of opening a pack and seeing what you get, also draft is fun, although I am not sure this game will support draft in a conventional sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Y
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to try this and was doing some demos at FFG Canadian Nationals this weekend. Deck building rules are a team of characters worth 30 points. Some characters have two values based on whether you go with 1 dice or 2. You must also have a deck of 30 cards and 1 battlefield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.