Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » Variants

Subject: Zombicide: Black Plague+ - Rules overhaul rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M. P
Denmark
flag msg tools
Hey there!

I'll be honest. my group has not found Zombicide:BP amazingly fun and in fact have found that quite a few things had us scratching our heads as to why that was a rule, or lack thereof.
So in an attempt to make a game we'd enjoy i set out to alter some rules, one change resulted in another and well, the result was this rules overhaul and the birth of Zombicide: Black Plague+ (have fun saying that 3 times rapidly)
Personally i feel these are more rpg inspired rules for the game and my group enjoys sitting with a single randomly picked survivor, our group rarely exceeds 4 people at a time.

I've tried to keep the baseline rules as intact as possible, like it being players vs the game and not needing to change cards, sort of, there are some item specific adjustments.
The overall concepts i've tried to enhance or alter:
*Survivors being more unique
*Less excessive searching
*An overall tougher game
*A more leveled difficulty curve
*More weapon variety
*More class variety (melee/ranged/magic)
*Game being less calculating and players taking more chances

This is very much still a work in progress and i urge anyone interested in this, to cherry pick what would work for your group.
As this is a work in progress there are things mentioned in the document that is subject to change or stuff that haven't been tested yet.
I've left the document open for comments, if someone feels like contributing. i'd love to hear if someone tried out some or all of the rules and found that either they worked, or tell why they didn't. I very much welcome the critique.

I am however not interested in comments (in the document), in which people haven't tried them and comment for the sake of commenting. My group generally plays with these and have found them working quite well, that said there are still balance issues, but these are ironed out through playtime.

I highly recommend using community cards (altough we haven't tried them out yet, but they look great) and i have my own plans for card additions as well, just have to find the time for it.

The last pages of the document is a home made campaign with 4 scenarios. they should be playable (and very difficult) but only the first one has been tested so far.

With nothing else to say, i hope some of you reading the document will enjoy the rule changes and will help make it better.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1f0jQ7o4lqkEa9yGKoaUGHKTUct...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job. I've been doing something similar. I have started with redoing monster cards, which have the stats of movement, health, defense, and xp, with abilities listed underneath. My write up for everything is still a ways off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got started with your rules and could see they aren't for me. I once had a VW bug, which I didn't want to be a dune buggy, so I had no need for an overhaul. Perhaps good for someone who wants Zombicide to be something else. I suggest thinking up a new name and changing the subject line to 'Using the Zombicide content to play New Name'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
Just got started with your rules and could see they aren't for me. I once had a VW bug, which I didn't want to be a dune buggy, so I had no need for an overhaul. Perhaps good for someone who wants Zombicide to be something else. I suggest thinking up a new name and changing the subject line to 'Using the Zombicide content to play New Name'.

Don't you think he's fine, using the tag Rules Overhaul?

I knew what to expect, opening the thread (and count me as someone who prefers dune buggies to VW bugs ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. P
Denmark
flag msg tools
longagoigo wrote:

So to continue the analogies game, i see Zombicide Black plague as "Shocky" from "How i met your mother". Shocky makes coffee, it's not great coffee, but it's what you know and have come to love, despite getting shocked in the morning.

In this analogy i guess the shock part is akin to getting an abomination in the first turn and having to find the dragon bile and torch, is the games version of that. some people like it, some people don't.
This is the variant forum branch, if people look here, odds are they know what they're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well ... these rules greatly complicate the game. I'm not a fan of the majority of the rule changes, especially the "weapon proficiency".

I do like the NPC rules, though, having them drop items on the board instead of 'collecting' them to get a vault weapon.

Otherwise, well, if you are desiring a more complicated game then I think you've done that. I'd suggest giving Fatties multiple HP to be consistent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
msg tools
dvang wrote:
Well ... these rules greatly complicate the game. I'm not a fan of the majority of the rule changes, especially the "weapon proficiency".

I do like the NPC rules, though, having them drop items on the board instead of 'collecting' them to get a vault weapon.

Otherwise, well, if you are desiring a more complicated game then I think you've done that. I'd suggest giving Fatties multiple HP to be consistent.

I second this. It just seems like complication for the sake of complication. The game is designed to be a simple, easy to pick up game. A lot of these include new effects and durations lasting 1 or 2 rounds. I can see this getting very confusing and effects would be forgotten. Heck, we forget to remove noise tokens and move experience sliders every now and again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fan to let Zomicide be what it is: a simple and fun zombie slaying skirmisher.

Sure you can make up and add rules to your liking. But if your group wants more "complexity" I can recommend tested out of the box games which are richer in terms of rules.

Attention: These are Kickstarter games and not available yet.

Quote:
Vampire Hunters (a step up in complexity)
Campaign just closed in mid August 16, will be delivered late 17.
Rules base is very similar to Zombicide (3 actions, weapons have same stats), but there are enemy behaviour cards, enemy abilities, combined attacks for players, day/night cycle, options of using sunlight against enemies...
Vampire Hunters Kickstarter Campaign

Quote:
Sword & Sorcery (a further step up in complexity)
Campaign closed November 15, will be delivered Q4 16.
Generic fantasy skirmisher which will be imo too complex for a casual gamer. S&S has very detailed and distinguished classes with stats and unique abilities for these. Every monster has stats and more than one ability. The star of the S&S show will be the enemy AI. Each monster type (and sometimes even within a type) has different behaviors based on their own combat type, distance to heroes, hero type and hero state (e.g. wounded). Boss fights will be a bit different with a tanking mechanic similar to video game MMORPGs. There is much much more to tell but see yourself...
Sword & Sorcery Kickstarter Campaign

The recommendation of S&S is based on research and playing the first mission (demo) multiple times on Tabletopia.com. The recommendation of VH is based on research and watching gameplay videos.

If Zombicide is too simple for you one of these two will be your thing if you like the theme.
On both Kickstarter Campaign Pages the work in progress rulebooks can be downloaded, so perhaps if these games don't suit you, you still can look through the rulebooks to get ideas for your Zombicide enhancement.

I hope this is helpful and I wish you success on your work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Helgeland
Denmark
flag msg tools
I like the effort made into this overhaul! I have to try it some day, though Descent2ed has me covered for months these days.

I see people complaining about people making rule changes. I also think that the game should be played as intended... but when it comes to Zombicide, it is just badly tested and written. If the game was fun and balanced in the first place, then people would not need to make overhauls.

How my gaming group see this game (only the base game, since we got bored of this game before we even got the expansion):
First couple of turns, a mix of great challenge, important choices and tedious grinding for gear. = Fun enough, if the searching doesn't drag out too long. (big problem!)
Mid game, endless search for gear and items
Late game, unbalanced skills, OP cards, no challenge or tactics.

We had one or two characters just standing in the crossroads, plucking down ALL the zombies that spawned that turn, while the rest were searching and picking up objectives... repeat every single round. Then done. SUPER BORING! It is not fun! I want it to be fun. I want it to be different than Descent. I want it to be as designed, a fun one off skirmish... but it fails. I'm a computer game dev myself, and lets just say, I don't think they even played their game before printing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that fire spells can ignite dragon bile, that rule is inexplicable. I also don't like the add a zombie to make a splitting group even either.

This game seems similar to Shadows of Brimstone in that the game can go south in a hurry with the wrong die rolls and zombie draws. It does depend on what you add to the game (abomination types).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.