7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Similar to defenders of the realm with a Cthulhu theme.? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Is there anything out there with a similar feel to defenders of the realm but with a Cthulhu theme, also with a play time no longer than 60-90 mins. Or is defenders of the realm still the one to go for? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Richard Launius Cthulhu game? Yeah there might be one

It's more than 90 minutes, but I can get Arkham Horror out and played in about 2 hours, but obviously if you're going to play with more than 4 people and/or all expansions thats not going to fit in your time table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith

UK
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look what I found will looking for Pandemic variants.
Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering that Defenders of the Realm is basically a Pandemic rip-off with an Ameritrash layer, your best bet is probably Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu. It's not out yet, but it should be soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith

UK
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Considering that Defenders of the Realm is basically a Pandemic rip-off with an Ameritrash layer, your best bet is probably Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu. It's not out yet, but it should be soon.

Rip off bit harsh maybe? How about reinvention?
Would pandemic be around without Lord of the Rings being reinvented?

Cthulhu fans would enjoy Cthulhu Wars which is a rip...I mean reinvention of Chaos in the Old World which is a ...

Defenders of the Last Stand looks to be an interesting game.

One of my favourites Darkest Night (First edition) has qualities from all these games . Another ripinvention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GitFeatures wrote:
Rip off bit harsh maybe? How about reinvention?

Maybe, but it seems that Launius "reinvents" games from other designers quite often. However, I must confess that I was unimpressed with Pandemic and enjoy Defenders of the Realm much more.

Quote:
Would pandemic be around without Lord of the Rings being reinvented?

Do you seriously think that Pandemic is as similar to Knizia's Lord of the Rings as Defenders of the Realm is to Pandemic?! I understand that Lord of the Rings was the first cooperative game (or at least the first to be popular), and that's probably where you are coming from, but the only thing that Pandemic has in common with it is that it's cooperative. Pandemic was very original at the time and I would never call it a reinvention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith

UK
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We prefer Defenders of the Realm to Pandemic too it feels better when your group wins , but would always use the latter for new gamers and friends .
The reason I put Lord of the Rings up as an example is due to a conversation with other gamers while actually playingWar of the Ring Collector's Edition.
We compared Pandemic characters to the Tolkien Fellowship and how possible strengths could help control the spread of Sauron and his evil allies spill all over the map. It was a facinating game as the medic and dispatcher helped to keep Saruman in check.
I know it sounds weird but at the time we found a lot of similarities with the games.
Maybe the struggle in the story blurred the assumptions we had.
They should do a Pandemic movie, then do a Defenders of the realm movie. Pandemic will gross more at the cinema but Defenders will be the cult movie.

Sorry OP will try to redeem this ramble and throw out a co-op good on theme but not so dudes on a map to wipe out... Elder Sign n Eldritch Horror .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.