Subject: Playing a Tactics card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Fling
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing a Tactics card is it required to already have the units necessary to fulfill the army? Or can you just play the tactics card in hopes to have that army eventually?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Vasquez
Colombia
Medellin
Antioquia
flag msg tools
100% Pure Colombian Geek
badge
Colombia is waiting for you, would you take the risk? (Video in my profile)
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play it in hopes of getting the army later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alter Zausel
msg tools
Arael wrote:

But unfortunately this means that by the time you eventually get the units to fulfill the requirements someone else might have already copied the tactics card. So you will not have the effect of your your tactics cards exclusively for one turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alter_Zausel wrote:
Arael wrote:

But unfortunately this means that by the time you eventually get the units to fulfill the requirements someone else might have already copied the tactics card. So you will not have the effect of your your tactics cards exclusively for one turn.

It depends on the likelyhood of other players using it before you, what your other military cards are, and how badly you want to keep them. It might also be that you are tight on MA, and cannot complete the tactic once you make the units. In those cases I have played the tactics, and then next built into it. Yes, you are showing your moves, but if you do not have aggression cards it doesn't matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fling
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this stated in the rules somewhere or just assumed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joefling34 wrote:
Is this stated in the rules somewhere or just assumed?

Why would you not be allowed? Can you have an incomplete tactic during the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Scheck
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
The rules state that you can play a tactics card on your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
Alter_Zausel wrote:
Arael wrote:

It depends on the likelyhood of other players using it before you, what your other military cards are, and how badly you want to keep them. It might also be that you are tight on MA, and cannot complete the tactic once you make the units. In those cases I have played the tactics, and then next built into it. Yes, you are showing your moves, but if you do not have aggression cards it doesn't matter.

I've had occasions when I had a choice between playing the Tactics card or discarding it. Sure, if you play it before you are ready to use it, you are losing the advantage of surprise in a future war or aggression, but if it's "lose the surprise" or "don't get it all", etc. One can also imagine a situation where you play a tactic thinking you'll be able to use it next turn, then something comes up and you can't build the required unit, then someone else copies your tactic and uses it against you. That would be frustrating, but that's the sort of consideration that should go into decision making in any good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a related note, if I'm using a public tactic and lose part of the army (due to colonization, e.g.), do I have to take my banner off the tactic card and later use two military actions to use the tactic again once I reform my army?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Backlash27 wrote:
On a related note, if I'm using a public tactic and lose part of the army (due to colonization, e.g.), do I have to take my banner off the tactic card and later use two military actions to use the tactic again once I reform my army?
No. Having an active tactic and having the requirements for the tactic are two irrelevant issues. Even if you break the army, you don't take your banner off the tactic card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks. That's how I thought it should be played, especially based on how tactics were played in the first version. However, with the new rules for shared tactics my wife and friend thought you should lose your applied tactics when your army disbanded so we ended up playing it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Backlash27 wrote:
Cool, thanks. That's how I thought it should be played, especially based on how tactics were played in the first version. However, with the new rules for shared tactics my wife and friend thought you should lose your applied tactics when your army disbanded so we ended up playing it that way.
Let them find the rule in the rulebook next time. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.