These are the Board games I currently own :

1Monopoly
2Ascension : Deckbuilding game
Expansions so far
Dawn of Champions
3Dominion Base game
4Nightfall Base game

As you see,Im a fan of deckbuilding games

P.S : Was thinking of getting Thunderstone ( the original one ) but cant find Thunderstone Advance at a reasonable price. Should I still get the original or pass up because it ain't advance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Up to you! If you like deck builders, get more of those.

Me personally, I think one deck builder is enough as they are all variations on the same mechanic.

I would recommend to get Quartermaster General cause that's what I always recommend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might wanna check out Trains and Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try for something like Hands in the Sea or Trains that take a system you love (deck building) and incorporate it with some other ideas too.

I'd say go for something different though, have a look at some of the things at the top of the rankings and see why people like them.

There are any number of good games and good mechanics, don't limit yourself to one (plus Monopoly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Try Star Realms, it's a deck builder for two players but different from Dominion and some others in that you're directly attacking your opponents. I like that game a lot, more than Dominion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like deck builders then maybe Arctic Scavengers: Base Game+HQ+Recon?

I thought I heard Tom Vasel say there was going to be a reprint or new edition of Thunderstone Advance coming? I admit I wasn't paying too much attention at the time so I don't know how right I have it. However, if you're interested in that one, perhaps hold off purchasing anything until you research and confirm for yourself?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rodriguez
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's an icon
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderstone 3rd edition was just announced
https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/56960/gen-con-2016-video-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joaquin Lowe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I would agree mdrog2 that most deck builders are very similar and there doesn't seem to be a need to have a bunch in your collection. That being said, it is a very fun mechanic and here are some suggestions:

1. Arctic Scavengers: Base Game+HQ+Recon - This is the game that fills the deck builder niche in my collection and it's great! And unlike many others of the genre it's fairly thematic.

2. Star Realms - Super popular and cheap to get. Not my favorite but that might just be because I'm terrible at it, haha

Another mechanic to check out might be "Bag-builders" which is a very fun variation of deck builders. Two I'm a fan of are:

1. Orléans - Super hot right now and for good reason!

2. Automobiles - I got this one very cheap online because I wanted to check out the mechanic. I'm not a fan of racing or nascar/indie car and I still thought this game was a gas - sorry for the pun, haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like deckbuilding one step you could make would be toward hand-building games. Generally there's more going on and the cards are more of a means to an end rather than an end in an of themselves. They're more board games than card games, but with the familiar element of acquiring and in some of them also getting rid of cards. Plus once you've bought the cards you have more freedom in when to play them, so it's less about ratios of good cards and more about using them effectively. The main games here are Rococo (closest to classic deckbuilder), Concordia, Lewis & Clark, and Mombasa.

Or if you want something a little closer to a regular deckbuilder but with a bit of an interesting twist, I was pretty impressed with Xenon Profiteer. It really brings the getting bad cards out of your deck into the forefront, which is something I usually enjoy in more standard deckbuilders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the hobby!

For deckbuilders, I would say +1 to Star Realms. And since you own Dominion, you could start buying expansions for that. The only expansion I've played is Dominion: Intrigue, which is actually a stand-alone game, too. I find Intrigue more interesting that just Dominion.

Depending on how many players you usually play with, there is a huge world of possibilities ahead of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dugas
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Arctic Scavengers.

Also, Valley of the Kings.

And if you like word games (you didn't mention Scrabble) Paperback, which is a deckbuilding word game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandonboards wrote:
EWhat do I buy next?W

These are the Board games I currently own :

1Monopoly
2Ascension : Deckbuilding game
Expansions so far
Dawn of Champions
3Dominion Base game
4Nightfall Base game

As you see,Im a fan of deckbuilding games

P.S : Was thinking of getting Thunderstone ( the original one ) but cant find Thunderstone Advance at a reasonable price. Should I still get the original or pass up because it ain't advance?

Try Star Realms which is a more heads up confrontational game.

For more complex fare, check out Pax Porfiriana from Sierra Madre Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
DC Comics Deck-Building Game this might fit the bill or you could try a sort of deck building game Biblios a little different but fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms
Or for a coop experience...
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J .M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Deckbulding I would highly recommend Trains: Rising Sun (Better two player map then Trains and has attack cards )

Also this sounds kind of crazy but Project Dreamscape is a fun little game that to me feels like a deck builder without a deck or hand.

Basically you are trying to collect cards into a scoring pile so that you have as many matching icons in a row as you can. To do that you buy the cards from a row then immediately use a power on the card to manipulate either the purchase row or your scoring pile. So each turn the purchase row is like your hand and you are trying to combo to powers to get the most cards in the right order into your score pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Imperial Settlers is a fun game . Uses a faction deck for each player and a common deck aswell.
During the game you acquire more cards and resources while creating buildings for your empire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.