Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok... it seems like we're playing this differently than others.

When we decide to take a monster out of stack rather than adding it to the Dungeon Stack we take out a piece of equipment that would defeat the monster we just took out.

Does that make sense? In other words... the piece of equipment we take out has to affect the monster that was taken out.

Is this the way anyone else is playing? Or do you just take out any piece of equipment ... it does not necessarily correlate with the monster being removed.

Our way is a lot of fun, but if that's not right... well.. we'd like to be playing correctly.

We also made up multi-class rules where we start with a combination of equipment from different characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Peterson
United States
St. Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can take out any piece of equipment when you don't place the monster in the dungeon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Laxou
flag msg tools
I no longer work for IELLO.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eat2surf wrote:
Or do you just take out any piece of equipment ... it does not necessarily correlate with the monster being removed.
This.
I guess your way of playing adds an important clue about what monster you remove from the Dungeon. It's certainly interesting.
Eat2surf wrote:
We also made up multi-class rules where we start with a combination of equipment from different characters.
I thought it was in the rules, no? It's definitely a lot of fun to mix the equipment tiles a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This really shouldn't work very well for the game. For instance, when playing as the Warrior, if you saw someone remove the Dragon Spear, you would know the Dragon is not in the dungeon, as that is the only piece of equipment that would instantly kill it. That would just tell everyone at the table that the dragon has been removed and is no longer a threat. The whole point of removing the spear should be the threat that the dragon IS in the dungeon and players may want to think twice about entering.

Admittedly, removing the torch or the holy grail would not spell out what monster was removed, but I would think the spear and the hammer, having only one monster type that is effected by those pieces of equipment, would suggest that the way you are playing is not what was intended by the designer.

Also, do you treat the armor or healing potions as removable by any monster, or can they not be removed at all since they don't defeat any monsters? What about if the torch has already been removed and you draw a goblin? Does it HAVE to be put in the dungeon now since you can't remove an item that would defeat it? I'm just not sure how you got to this method of playing from the rules given. Still, as long as you are having fun, do whatever you want!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not saying we chose to play the game differently than written.. that's how we interpreted the rules... and, hence, mentioning it here.

The healing potion and armor were played as not removable as they don't defeat a monster... and, yes, in goes the goblin if you've already taken the torch.

We'll try it the official way and see how the change affects the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.