Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last weekend we played CK for the first time and we really enjoyed it, but were a bit confused by 2 damage cards that came up. I think one of them was titled "unexpected target."

The gist of the card was that you missed the target and instead an obstacle in range is destroyed.

Who decides which obstacle?

The rules say that the target resolves the card but the card is written in a way that implies the shooter does. We let the shooter decide because it would have given the target an unfair advantage (they would have cleared the last obstacle directly between themselves and the finish line) and it seemed against the point of shooting if there's a chance it actually helps them. This is a silly oversight considering it required maybe 2 additional words to be clear. ie "the shooter chooses an obstacle to destroy"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dickerson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Our group ran into the same problem. We resolved it by having the person who took the damage choose the obstacle, but it had to be in the shooter's range. This seemed to fill the choosing the obstacle obligation. We weren't absolutely sure whose range it was, but it makes sense that it's the range of whoever shot. To me, this is like a D&D critical miss. It's also like real life friendly fire. Shooting is dangerous, so it does make some sense that things could be worse for the shooter after they fire. It definitely wasn't 100% clear in the group I was in still.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No official ruling on this? I could really see it going either way but I'd lean towards the person shooting being able to choose the obstacle rather than the target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it's a question of how much emphasis you put on the word 'unintended'.

Hoping for an official ruling...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.