Subject: Slight confusion on first turn card draw rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Barlag

Independence
Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Using an example for a two player game, the rules state on your first turn player 1 draws one card, player 2 draws two cards. Are the players allowed to influence cities on their first turn, or does each player draw these cards first, THEN draw cards per normal rules before influencing cities? (i.e, player 1 essentially starts with 4 country cards while player 2 starts with 5 country cards).

If it's the former, what is the reason for this rule? Has anybody played this game ignoring the first-turn-less-card-draw, and if so, does it make any discernible difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hawes
United States
Prospect
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state on your first turn player 1 draws one card, player 2 draws two cards (for a 2 player game). This means Player 1 draws his 1 card then has his turn. Then Player 2 draws his 2 cards and then has his turn.

The reason for this rule is to minimise a first turn advantage to players earlier in the start order, which becomes relevant with more players in the game. For example in a 5 player game, if everybody drew 3 cards then the 4th and 5th players in particular would be disadvantaged because the first 3 players could have played up to 12 cards between them to influence cities. Since several nobles "cost" 1 and 2 cards only, a lot of the cheap nobles would be taken before players 3 and 4 would have their first turn. Many of these cheap nobles give good City points to the first player to occupy them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Barlag

Independence
Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow! An answer from the designer himself. Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hawes
United States
Prospect
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
My pleasure Todd. I take an interest in all questions on the rules, because it gives me feedback on how well the rules have been written. Since I write the rules to all my games, I like to know if something was not well written. This I gauge from the number of rules questions the game receives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.