Owen Compton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all, spoiler warning but I'll be using tags to shield your eyes from any pain.

My family have played the second scenario twice through so far, lost both times (it's really hard!) but are definitely getting an idea of the strategy to adopt in order to win, however a few rules questions have cropped up that we've been applying consistently but have debate room in them.

1a) Tile connections 1

Spoiler (click to reveal)
In our version of the map, which I expect is the same in every play through because of the way the Mob moves, there are often Alley tiles connecting to the Pier and Rental Dock tiles. We've been trying to decide if the open ended connection on the Alley tile covers movement into both of the connecting spaces on the Pier and Rental Docks tiles. You'll notice that the space line on the Alley tiles do stretch across the two closest segments of Pier and Rental.

So far we've been playing that the tiles act as if they are a corner, so it only connects on the the segment that would be the corner. This falls in line with the way the Mob moves around the board and doesn't affect game play massively except slowing everyone down a bit but we thought we'd check anyway.

1b) Tile connections 2

When the boat arrives it slots into the space made by the Rental Docks and the Jetty tile (I forget it's actual name). Are you allowed to move on the boat from any of those tiles as they all share a common edge? We've been playing it that you had to get on the boat from the end of the Jetty (therefore getting on the back of the boat) but that doesn't really make any sense because all of the tiles have connected space edges so there's no reason why you can't just get on the boat from any of those. It also creates problems for counting range for Horror checks from the Mob as it comes round the corner so I'm assuming we should be treating all the adjusted spaces on those tiles as connected for movement, however we've been playing it the other way until now.

2) Monster movement

We find that mob spawns on the space closest to the border of the tile it is about to move into. When the app tells us to move it 2 spaces "towards" the next tile on its path round the town then do we move it on to the tile and then into the next space, or is simply moving it on to the tile sufficient? We've been moving it one space onto the tile and then another space into the end of the new tile it's moved onto. If that needs a more detailed clarifying example then I can provide one if asked.

This may seem like a small distinction but if it's always closest to the edge of the tile then the horror effect is one tile further round and we're often trying to explore ahead of it rather than behind it so it'd be useful to have a bit more wiggle room on that one.

3) Movement costs

The Beach tile has a hut in it, the hut has a secret door to the Bathroom. If I am standing on the beach tile next to the hut, it is one movement cost to go into the hut and another to go through the secret door, right?

4) Victory conditions

The number of hoops this scenario makes you go through to finish is kinda nuts, especially given how limited time is. It's also a little vague about what order you can do them in. Most specifically, when you first persuade Agent Craven to leave with you then he mentions you need to get the boat in first. So you go light the lantern and get the boat in then go back for him. So you go get him and he moves to the Library for a look around. So now you're like "Is he done? We've got the boat here, maybe he's on the move?" but he stays there until you go speak to him and he wants help with evidence. So you get him the evidence and he again goes "I'll wait for the boat" to which you can go "boat's here!" Which seems really weird, do we HAVE to get the boat in first before sending him to the library? Because we were wasting time getting the boat in when we could've had someone sorting out his evidence query while the others got the boat.

I think that's all for now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember some of the specifics of the map, so I'll answer what I can. Regarding the assumption you made in question 1a,

Yes, the tile layout is the same every time.

The Sacred Voice wrote:
1b) Tile connections 2

When the boat arrives it slots into the space made by the Rental Docks and the Jetty tile (I forget it's actual name). Are you allowed to move on the boat from any of those tiles as they all share a common edge? We've been playing it that you had to get on the boat from the end of the Jetty (therefore getting on the back of the boat) but that doesn't really make any sense because all of the tiles have connected space edges so there's no reason why you can't just get on the boat from any of those. It also creates problems for counting range for Horror checks from the Mob as it comes round the corner so I'm assuming we should be treating all the adjusted spaces on those tiles as connected for movement, however we've been playing it the other way until now.

They're solid white lines between the tiles, so you can move and count range to them. You're jumping on the boat from the pier. :)

Quote:
2) Monster movement

We find that mob spawns on the space closest to the border of the tile it is about to move into. When the app tells us to move it 2 spaces "towards" the next tile on its path round the town then do we move it on to the tile and then into the next space, or is simply moving it on to the tile sufficient? We've been moving it one space onto the tile and then another space into the end of the new tile it's moved onto. If that needs a more detailed clarifying example then I can provide one if asked.

This may seem like a small distinction but if it's always closest to the edge of the tile then the horror effect is one tile further round and we're often trying to explore ahead of it rather than behind it so it'd be useful to have a bit more wiggle room on that one.

"Towards" is defined as reducing the distance. When it's on the next tile, the distance to that tile is zero, so there's no way to reduce it.

Quote:
3) Movement costs

The Beach tile has a hut in it, the hut has a secret door to the Bathroom. If I am standing on the beach tile next to the hut, it is one movement cost to go into the hut and another to go through the secret door, right?

Yes, moving through a secret door is a move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Kirsipuu
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can complete the objectives in any order (light the lantern, ring the bell etc). What we found to be weird is that agent Craven does not automatically go to the boat when it arrives. We had to click on his icon and select an option in which you inform him about the arrival of the boat. We found it confusing. We didn't understand if you have to be on the same space with agent Craven in order to inform him about the boat or not. This option did not have an action icon next to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McLaughlin
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirss wrote:
I think you can complete the objectives in any order (light the lantern, ring the bell etc). What we found to be weird is that agent Craven does not automatically go to the boat when it arrives. We had to click on his icon and select an option in which you inform him about the arrival of the boat. We found it confusing. We didn't understand if you have to be on the same space with agent Craven in order to inform him about the boat or not. This option did not have an action icon next to it.

In general, I've noticed the issue of interacting with a person costing an action (or not) seems to come up a lot. Most important interactions with a person involve selecting an option with the action icon, but sometimes you tap on a person and just get some basic information (or are told to leave them alone) with no action icons.

I've taken this to mean that if no action icons are displayed on any of the options you select (or you don't get any options) then it doesn't use an action. The problem is that sometimes you may spend multiple actions reaching a person, just to find out you don't have any options.

More importantly, if you don't have to use an action to interact with the person, then technically it doesn't count as an interact action as described in the RRG. The LTP guide also states that you can inspect any token in the app at any time, regardless of its location. You simply are not allowed to choose any option with the action icon, as that requires an action (and requires you to be in the same space).

By that logic, you should be able to inspect a person token in the app before deciding to move towards it. The question is, if the options for dealing with that person don't have action icons, can you select them when you are not in the same space?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirss wrote:
I think you can complete the objectives in any order (light the lantern, ring the bell etc)...

I wouldn't bet your life on that...
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.