Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Uherske
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Tonight we introduced Di to What's That On My Head, and thus repeated the same growing pains we had on the first run that Ben, Ed and I made a few weeks ago.

Whereas Ed seemed to enjoy the game on his first try, and simply made some rather comic mistakes that disrupted the game, Di didn't seem to take easily to it at all. Not only did she find it difficult to get her mind working in the proper deductive channels, but she even had some difficulty due to the frequency of questions asking clue-givers to compare what they see on their left to their right. Di later said that the game played to her weaknesses; for example, her hesitancy in left/right comparisons made getting into the higher deductive reasoning very difficult for her.

The game also went extremely slowly, also mostly because Di was new to the game and having some trouble.

We had planned to play to 3 points, but agreed after a short period to simply stop when someone guessed their cards.

During this game, our information was extraordinarily sketchy. Not only was that the case, but we also found that playing the game with 4 is an order of magnitude more difficult than it is with 3. With 3 people, the clue-giver is looking only at your head and one that you also can see. With 4 people, that lack of either/or certainty ups the difficulty several degrees.

I took considerable time to think at one point and concluded that I was ready to guess. I erred; I got two of my numbers correct, but one wrong. I discovered my logical mistake upon reviewing my notes. At one place I had indicated that I had at least two out of five numbers; I later mistakenly carried information indicating that I had two and only two of those five.

After I erred, Ed guessed and also made one mistake. His mistake was based on incorrectly noting the results of a question in which it had been indicated that the gap between my lowest and highest numbers was greater than his.

Later, when it was revealed that one player's total was twice their highest number, Ben correctly deduced his numbers: 2, 4, 6. That was enough for us. We declared Ben the winner, and Di, by not guessing at all, finished in second place!

Tonight's game didn't go well but I am absolutely convinced that this is going to be one of my favorite games, when played with people who are similarly into logic and deduction. The logic problem really is exquisite and difficult. One must assemble the solution based on thinking through every implication of the combination of fragmentary information. The answer does not pop out of binary note-taking as it does with Sleuth. In tonight's game, I may have had the information I needed to work out my answer, but it would have taken more patience and care than I had actually employed.

I am loving this game and I hope to play it again soon to completion; I hope my companions begin to enjoy it comparably and to enable brisker play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.