Hide
15 Posts

Elder Sign» Forums » General

Subject: What expansion is most relevant to buy to improve this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Groves
msg tools
title says it all. Do any expansions improve the game thematically or mechanically? Which are essential for you and why?

Should i just look to sell my copy of the base game?

Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Specifically, Gates of Arkham makes the game more challenging, offers a more integrated theme, and increases opportunities for character collaboration. Omens of Ice takes all of these features even further.

I like Unseen Forces, but it doesn't change much about the base game; it just offers some variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
#MeToo
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely agreed with the others, if you wanna have a game changer, go for Gates
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gates definitely. Grave Consequences is a nice budget price addition that adds to the theme very nicely. (I'm a Richard Launius fan...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Gates is a good place to start, but there were some things I didn't care for about it. I felt that a lot of the event and mythos cards just spammed gates as much as possible (not to mention those generated by monsters and Ancient Ones), so the game devolved into going to close gates on every turn, which yielded Elder Signs, but also left out some of the built-in challenge of completing regular adventures in the process.

To me, Omens in Ice is an absolutely brilliant expansion, and the best of the bunch. It injects a story, theme, and thematic game mechanics that really immerse you in the experience. It is much more fiddly than the rest, but I think it's well worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested in this as well, as my kids just discovered the joys of Elder Sign.

One thing that gives me hesitation on expanding further, owning Unseen Forces, is not using this big stack of adventures and mythos cards. Seems that the next expansions exclude all that previous material. Seems like they change the mechanics, likely in a good way, but kinda like buying a whole different game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:
Interested in this as well, as my kids just discovered the joys of Elder Sign.

One thing that gives me hesitation on expanding further, owning Unseen Forces, is not using this big stack of adventures and mythos cards. Seems that the next expansions exclude all that previous material. Seems like they change the mechanics, likely in a good way, but kinda like buying a whole different game?

The core experience is the same, but the face down adventure cards make the game more exciting and give you extra things to do on your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true that the later expansions swap out the museum adventure and mythos cards entirely. They do still work with all the earlier investigators and other worlds adventures. Gates also works with the earlier Great Old Ones, although Omens of Ice is particular to its own Bosses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gates of Arkham.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look through the forums. This question has been asked at least once before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the first question you have to ask is do you want to increase the difficulty? If the answer is no, then unseen forces is a great addition. It adds more of everything that makes ES great while adding the new bless/curse mechanic and allies that don't really change the overall feel of the game. It's really designed to just add to your core set and leave it there.

Gates of Arkham is a new "play mode". It swaps out the museum adventure deck for a streets of Arkhamm set and adds blind entry, entrance costs, and physical gates' but the core feel of ES is still there. It also really ramps up the difficulty of the game. I've played one game of GoA and I got thrashed. I loved it but my wife found the game difficulty to high.

I've only played the third expansion (the Arctic adventure)on the app but from what I've read the difficulty is even higher then GoA, though there is a option for an easier "summer" adventure. It's another "game mode" expansion that swaps out the adventure deck for a new location but the core of ES still stays the same.

What I like about all these expansions are none of them are "must haves" (in terms of "fixing" the game) but each adds a new way of playing that is independent of the others. Sometimes I feel like a more simple "abstract" game and the museum adventure with UF hits that spot. Sometimes I want a more serious "board game" challenge that still feels like ES and GoA is great for that. I'm really looking forward to Omens of Ice for one more cool way to play that's even less abstract and more themed.

But really...it's ultimately up to you and your comfort level of pain. If you think base is still hard but you want some variety then I'd go with Unseen Forces. If your ready for a new challenge and way to play Es then Gates of Arckam will do that for you. It will be new and familier all at the same time. I'd wait on Omens of Ice until after GoA because of some increased fiddilyness.

So..which are you looking for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Null Field wrote:
Gates of Arkham. Game changer.

To clarify: literally a game-changer. It's a different game altogether which most, but not all, ES players seem to prefer. (i count myself among the minority who don't.)

i'd prefer to have seen the challenge of the core game increased without completely changing the mechanics.

If i were to suggest only one expansion, it'd be Unseen Forces because it slots into the original game without adding notable new complexity (just the Bless/Curse bits).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play a Gates light variant with the base game.
Just add 2x3 gate markers of your own and play with the rules for the gates from GoA.
You can also try to play with face down cards as in GoA though there are no reverse side effects.

These where the big thematic changes GoA added for me. And should have been included in the base game from the beginning.

The streets part of GoA is the real expansion of this.

Oh, and don't buy Elder Signs in the museum's shop. It is just bad style.shake

Edit: Ambigious wording

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfram wrote:
Oh, and don't buy Elder Signs in the museum's shop. It is just bad style.

Hate the game, not the player .

This ability was removed in Unseen Forces, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.