Hide
12 Posts

Deep Sea Adventure» Forums » Rules

Subject: what am I doing wrong? Nobody makes it back to the sub rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
amazon DotC
msg tools
I've played this 2 or 3 times with a group of 3, and I don't think anyone has ever made it back to the sub in any round. Is it just my 7yo being too greedy, picking up everything he lands on, that is screwing with the mechanics of the game? Or could we be missing something? Everybody online seems to love this game, and I'm sitting over here wondering if I'm ever going to play again, because it just didn't seem possible to ever make it back to the sub.

How long does a typical game last? Is it supposed to be more than a couple of minutes?

Do people make it to the second level of chips in the first round? Or do you stay in the first level?

I feel like I've got to be doing something wrong, but maybe it's just that it plays better with a larger group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
youtube.com/neatozen
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
It is perfectly possible to never make it back to the sub.

Being too greedy could be a cause. It is a push-your-luck game after all.

Remember that treasures that fallen players had, fall to the end of the line (in stacks of 3s) and the line is compressed after removing the empty circle tiles.

It's quite possible to make it to the 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th level treasures on the third round.

If you have any questions, I did make a how to play video in the videos section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Entrecruzado
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you removing the rounded tiles after each round? On the third one it´s easy to get pretty deep and get back up...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amazon DotC
msg tools
Thank you! I'll take a look at the video. We are removing the round/blank chips, and stacking up the dropped ones at the end. Sounds like I just have my child to blame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larger groups will typically be able to go deeper since you skip occupied spaces, but you can still get pretty far by the end of round 3 with 3 players. I would say with 3 players it might be risky getting to the the 2nd tier of treasures on round one. How many treasures are people grabbing at once? Usually I don't pick up any more than 2 until I'm on my way back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Young
England
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
How many treasures are people grabbing at once? Usually I don't pick up any more than 2 until I'm on my way back.

It's usually better not to pick any up until you're about to turn back, and if somebody does pick a chip up that's a good signal that it's probably wise to turn round ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is susceptible to groupthink, but if everyone always just drowns, just turn back really quickly and win the game. When they see that, behaviors and patterns will change, and the experience should improve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only do you push your luck in the game, you actually push everybody else's luck at the same time. If somebody decides to go deep, it becomes risky for everyone. So as said above it can easily happen that nobody makes it back. There's a better chance in the later rounds of getting some treasure, but one deep diver makes it more dangerous for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jtakagi wrote:
The game is susceptible to groupthink, but if everyone always just drowns, just turn back really quickly and win the game. When they see that, behaviors and patterns will change, and the experience should improve.

This. If no one is getting back to the boat then everyone is going too deep. Turn back early, just pick up 1 token, and win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Glastonbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
usually i go down twice per round - picking up on the second roll. then turn around and try to pickup 1 more (maybe 2) on the way back up. i rarely pass out and frequently win with that simple strategy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
telos81 wrote:
usually i go down twice per round - picking up on the second roll. then turn around and try to pickup 1 more (maybe 2) on the way back up. i rarely pass out and frequently win with that simple strategy!

Coward!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
moorwild wrote:
telos81 wrote:

Coward!
Survivor and winner more like arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.