Popular Tags: [View All]
O. C.
Spain
flag msg tools
blablabla
badge
lololo
mbmbmbmbmb
Last saturday, my friend and I have played "The Wehrmacht's Last Gasp" scenario... Our impression has been that Germans have no chances in this scenario.

Facts:
- The Germans have to control Moscow.
- Moscow is surrounded by Yellow Areas, most of them with cities. In addition, Soviets have lots of Defensive Lines that can be placed in that Yellow Areas. So, almost all of that Yellow Areas had an Absorb Bonus of 3 in our game.
- Stack limit in Yellow Areas is 2.
- Weather is Snow, so German blocks strenght is halved, rounded down (almost all Germans blocks roll only one die when attacking).
- In addition, the two LW HQs are exhausted from the beginning of the scenario (so, no Airstrikes).
In our game, the German was no able to control any Yellow Area near Moscow... Every german attemp of attack these areas was a disaster, Absorb Bonus and Snow caused that soviet blocks were almost untouchables. The Soviet player only had to wait and see how germans crashed into the soviet defenses again and again.

What do you think about this scenario? Is there any victorious strategy for the Germans?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
What does history say?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my good wife conquering a Shopping Mall.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
What does history say?

"Hitler, you're screwed..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kaxte wrote:
Last saturday, my friend and I have played "The Wehrmacht's Last Gasp" scenario... Our impression has been that Germans have no chances in this scenario.

Facts:
- The Germans have to control Moscow.
- Moscow is surrounded by Yellow Areas, most of them with cities. In addition, Soviets have lots of Defensive Lines that can be placed in that Yellow Areas. So, almost all of that Yellow Areas had an Absorb Bonus of 3 in our game.
- Stack limit in Yellow Areas is 2.
- Weather is Snow, so German blocks strenght is halved, rounded down (almost all Germans blocks roll only one die when attacking).
- In addition, the two LW HQs are exhausted from the beginning of the scenario (so, no Airstrikes).
In our game, the German was no able to control any Yellow Area near Moscow... Every german attemp of attack these areas was a disaster, Absorb Bonus and Snow caused that soviet blocks were almost untouchables. The Soviet player only had to wait and see how germans crashed into the soviet defenses again and again.

What do you think about this scenario? Is there any victorious strategy for the Germans?

Ideally of course a scenario should be winnable for both sides. However, all the criteria you're mentioning above seem to accurately reflect the historical circumstances by this time of the offensive. Therefore I would be more worried if the Germans regularly WON this scenario...Having said that, assuming you're right in your assertions, I guess the only way to take Moscow is to play the campaign (or play any of the scenarios that have a start date earlier than The Wehrmacht's Last Gasp)

I can't really figure out an alternative for the Germans either. I mean, they HAD TO take Moscow! Saying that they score a (minor) win for any other result in TWLG doesn't seem to make any sense either, which would be a solution perhaps with many other wargames. Only if you kept playing beyond the end of the campaign perhaps and the Germans suffer fewer losses than they did historically by February '42 or so and/or lost less ground...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.