Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sammy K
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back when I played RPG's I have always found the mythology of Glorantha vast, deep and mysterious and in many ways surreal. The history of Glorantha felt grand to the point of abstraction, but to finally get a chance to play through that unique mythology is fantastic. I've been looking forward to this game since I first heard of it.

I'm curious what experiences others had with the world?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Fleider
United States
Dallas
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My practical experience of playing two major campaigns in RuneQuest over the course of the last 15+ years is somewhat skewed since they were run by Sandy himself. Of course you couldn't ask for a greater opportunity to experience the wide world of Glorantha but Sandy has always nudged us towards the unexplored fringes. I think in all of that time we maybe met one Lunar officer and he was extremely weird from our perspective. We started the second campaign in Prax (as a traveling circus, no less) but only stayed there for a month or so before we roamed further afield.

This gives me an informed outsider's perspective on some of the more contentious elements of Gloranthan lore and cultures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad S.
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played Runequest or any of the games set in Glorantha.

When I was younger, my gaming group were D&D players. But I would pick up the occasional Dragon Magazine, which always had ads and stories for non-D&D games.

I was always interested in those other games, including Heroquest!

Stuff like this piqued my interest:

So for me, The Gods War is a chance to experience gaming in that setting, something I missed out on when I was younger. And it's in a game designed by one of the original Glorantha creators!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
RuneQuest 2 was the second RPG I ever played, when I was 12. As far as I remember, we killed some Broo, cos they were evil. Played on and off for years, until 2000 when the HeroWars/HeroQuest system came along, which was vastly superior for my purposes. I started running an Orlanthi campaign that year, which ran for about a decade, and saw the PCs rise from teenagers to world shakers, ending with them performing the LightBringers Quest. I also got heavily involved in the community around that time, attending conventions (and running one in Edinburgh), running mailing lists and websites, all that good stuff.

So, yeah, I'm a grognard...

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann Delalande
France
Solliès-Ville
PACA
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumping from RPG Geek to this side of the community just to tell you that if you want a better idea of what the world of Glorantha looks like as a roleplayig game setting, there are quite a few forum games you could read.

For exemple, here's a link you might find interesting:

https://rpggeek.com/thread/1499941/ic-heroquest-glorantha-no...

There are some other Glorantha Play-by-Forum games happening at RPG Geek at the moment. they're a great way to discover the world of Glorantha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
All the Gloranthan lore I know I learned from King of Dragon Pass. I suspect this makes me a bit unfairly biased towards Storm and against Sun ("Yelm the Bad Emperor" and all that), but I'm okay with that.

Still kicking myself for not throwing money at the physical Guide to Glorantha. At least I get PDFs with Gods War! I'd kind of hoped 13th Age in Glorantha and the accompanying sourcebook would be out by now, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
I took Balastor's Barracks with me on my honeymoon, to my wife's bemusement. (She herself brought Wuthering Heights, as she is a much classier person.) I didn't read much of it, but it was there in my suitcase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JazzFish wrote:
All the Gloranthan lore I know I learned from King of Dragon Pass. I suspect this makes me a bit unfairly biased towards Storm and against Sun ("Yelm the Bad Emperor" and all that), but I'm okay with that.

Still kicking myself for not throwing money at the physical Guide to Glorantha. At least I get PDFs with Gods War! I'd kind of hoped 13th Age in Glorantha and the accompanying sourcebook would be out by now, too.

Playing Gods War will definitely reinforce your attitude towards Yelm. In the game he is an arrogant, passive-aggressive, bastard who seeks to enforce his will by alternating threats and bribes. He is also inordinately fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Smith
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I discovered Glorantha and RuneQuest back in 1982 and loved the setting from the outset and particularly the writing about gods, cults, and distinct races such as trolls.

I finally had a chance to start running a campaign about 5 years later which ultimately ran for 10 years. I fleshed out one little piece of the world (the Lunar Kingdom of Imther) and that led to a short-lived fanzine, articles for other fanzines, and bits and pieces that found there way into Gloranthan canon as described in the Guide to Glorantha.

Shadow Hexagram wrote:
... if you want a better idea of what the world of Glorantha looks like as a roleplayig game setting, there are quite a few forum games you could read.

For exemple, here's a link you might find interesting:

https://rpggeek.com/thread/1499941/ic-heroquest-glorantha-no...

There are some other Glorantha Play-by-Forum games happening at RPG Geek at the moment. they're a great way to discover the world of Glorantha.

This is one of my two active HeroQuest Glorantha PbF campaigns. My Sartar campaign is past 2 years now, my Nochet campaign about 8 months along. Still love the setting after 35 years!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sammy K
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awesome. A co-designer (Sandy) would have given you a great deal of in depth exploration and world development during the campaign. I must say I'm a little envious.

I found Glorantha supplements always a little hard to find when I played RPGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sammy K
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I was the GM in most instances I generally decided on systems and settings.

I remember looking some of the source material in the early days wondering what the hell was going on, I was always confused with the timeline and locations.
Some of the material that I collected over the years was,
-Tales of the Reaching moon, issue 17
-Under the red moon
-Wyrms Footprint
-The book of drastic resolutions

and a tone of Chaosium and AH material.

I wish I had time to explore it againshake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sammy K
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing like a monochromatic zombie on a cover to inspire those around you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hammatt
United Kingdom
Camberley
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JazzFish wrote:
Still kicking myself for not throwing money at the physical Guide to Glorantha.

You can stop kicking yourself. Chaosium are in the process of reprinting the Guide to Glorantha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steviewevie wrote:
JazzFish wrote:
Still kicking myself for not throwing money at the physical Guide to Glorantha.

You can stop kicking yourself. Chaosium are in the process of reprinting the Guide to Glorantha.

Also you can get pdfs of everything by pledging ALL THE MONEY to The Gods War.

In other news, I thought I'd share my own experience of Glorantha:

In 1977 I bought White Bear Red Moon, the board game, and really liked the flavor of the world though the game, frankly, lacked polish. In 1978, the RPG Runequest came out, and I noticed that it was set in the same world.

My habit was that we would run a concurrent D&D campaign along with another RPG, playing each game about 50% of our time. Thus, for a while we played D&D & Chivalry+Sorcery. Then we switched to D&D & The Fantasy Trip. Then D&D & Traveller, etc. So on one mental level, I expected Runequest to be the latest flavor-of-the-month.

So we started playing D&D and Runequest concurrently. Slowly, the D&D campaign dwindled, until at the end of about a year, we were exclusively running RuneQuest. And we never went back. I've been running Runequest ever since, with forays into Call of Cthulhu and (twice) Superworld of all things.

Of course in 1981 I got a job at Chaosium, and then organizing and perfecting Glorantha became part of my job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hammatt
United Kingdom
Camberley
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I discovered Glorantha when my brother got a boxed RQ2 set for Xmas around 1981 time, at the same time that I got a D&D set. I soon discovered how rich and intriguing (and fun!) was Glorantha and we played RQ loads and hardly touched my D&D. Getting involved with another local GM and playing campaigns around Pavis and the Big Rubble were amazing. And of course that's just a tiny part of Glorantha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy I just love that you played SuperWorld. One of my favorite Chaosium booth moments at GenCons past was the release of Worlds of Wonder and Steve Perrin signing each book while telling stories behind the game (and of course I was already a big Runequest fan).

Sadly I never campaign played SuperWorld (or Call of Cthulhu - gasp!) ever as by that time my RPG campaign playing years were over and I was a full time boardgame player. My prior campaigns were Runequest, Traveller, Tunnels & Trolls, Villains & Vigilantes, The Fantasy Trip, and DragonQuest. Oh and I sat in on an Stormbringer campaign for awhile (and daydreamed about running Ars Magica). Of course as a boardgamer I kept playing AH Dragon Pass too, while contemplating if Nomad Gods was worth the price it was on Ebay to try it. (buying and reading Greg's Glorantha books kept me happy instead).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Mullen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Definitely played a lot of RQ, with a number of different groups. It remains one of my favorite settings and I consider it one of the most influential and significant RPGs to have been written.

My favorite games were the high-pressure runs into Snakepipe Hollow or Dorastor, but we also did a Lunar-based campaign where I played an Illuminated broo shaman who was trying to redeem Thed. That was some good stuff, but unfortunately, the game died as games sometimes do, so the story was left unfinished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
Sandy Petersen wrote:

Playing Gods War will definitely reinforce your attitude towards Yelm. In the game he is an arrogant, passive-aggressive, bastard who seeks to enforce his will by alternating threats and bribes. He is also inordinately fun to play.

I just played a 3 players game, thats not really worth making a session report, but I was playing Sky and I went about like this:

"Hey, Storm, buddy you should really be wary of Chaos, he's mean. Let me give you some advices...
-Look like you are struggling a bit Storm, here have some power. By the way would you mind letting my Sun God out of hell ?"
-I'm sorry Storm but I really have to destroy your temple, its for a Heroquest. No hard feelings, right ?
-Well yes you could attack me, but it wouldn't help your heroquest to kill a god because Yelm is immortal. Sorry. But look over here ! Malia is alone and she does not even fight back... unlike me.
-Well guys, I'm just going to seat in the middle of my empire reaping VP and wait or you to attack my impregnable fortress of glorious doom. Good luck suckers."

As for my discovery of Glorantha, it was trough the Herowars rules. I had never heard of it and the GM just asked what kind of character I would like to play. "Some kind of sorecrer I guess ?", and I got handed a Lunar sorcerer pregen character. I had no idea what half of the keywords on the sheet meant, especailly the spells ("understand love of Rufelza 17" ? WTF is a Rufelza ???)

Long story short, the system was a bit odd at first but I ended up grokking it hard. And as we travelled along the Zola Fel I discovered Glorantha and trully fell in love, especially with Heroquesting wich we happened to to a lot. I went from trying not to fuck up in a half remembered myth to purposefully trying to go off the path to see what would happen, especially with the power of the full moon on my side. I also played an Orlanthi flyer and a sword sage for shorter adventures, but my hearth forever belong to Sedenya. We are all Us !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.