Stephen Say
England
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
So - I don't have a lot of experience with the game yet.

I have maybe played the first two quests a dozen times single player/hand - losing mostly but occasionally winning. Tonight I embarked on EFDG with three friends.

We nailed it first time round - which after the commentary on the boards I have read about the difficulty of this quest makes me think we did something wrong.

Now I guess if you play single player or even two player and lose a hero through capture then you would be seriously disadvantaged but with four players the loss of a single hero was not overly onerous.

At times we were bale to put up will power totals of plus 20 and the Encounter Deck was only offering up mid teens. We could score 10 + progress tokens on a few occasions.

Is it just a question of scaling and the game just doesn't always work with four people? Or perhaps we missed something but I can't think what....

The only thing I could think of was with setup as below maybe we made a small mistake with a treachery card?

In terms of mechanics the Objective cards were new - placing an encounter deck card on each of them at the beginning we did reveal a treachery card so after resolving the effect we discarded the card and so that objective was left unguarded - should we have placed another non treachery card on there?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When most people talk about the difficulty of Dol Guldur, it is in reference to playing it solo. Like you said, losing 1/3 of your heroes is a lot more impactful than losing 1/12. It's still tough with 4 players, but not nearly as bad as solo. Also, unlike most quests that setup 1 card per player, Dol Guldur sets up exactly 3 cards. The setup is brutal for single player (especially when you only have 2 heroes), but is otherwise pretty soft for 4 players.

The game definitely scales different depending on the quest and player count. Some quests are harder in solo and some are harder with more players. But it's pretty rare that a quest "doesn't work".

Based on your write up, I don't see any mistakes. If you reveal a guarded card and then a treachery, the guarded card just enters the staging area unguarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gonna play this one quad-handed and finally take it down! arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Jim said, it's solo play that really suffers on this one. It can still be pretty brutal for 3 or 4 players mainly due to the "The players, as a group, cannot play more than 1 ally card each round" rule on stage 1. So if the encounter flips in setup and early turns are bad you can't really keep pace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just try it solo, then you know where the commentaries on the boards are coming from!

With four players it is much more doable. Just one hero gone out of twelve, more people to deal with multiple mean cards, etc.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
When most people talk about the difficulty of Dol Guldur, it is in reference to playing it solo. Like you said, losing 1/3 of your heroes is a lot more impactful than losing 1/12. It's still tough with 4 players, but not nearly as bad as solo. Also, unlike most quests that setup 1 card per player, Dol Guldur sets up exactly 3 cards. The setup is brutal for single player (especially when you only have 2 heroes), but is otherwise pretty soft for 4 players.

The game definitely scales different depending on the quest and player count. Some quests are harder in solo and some are harder with more players. But it's pretty rare that a quest "doesn't work".

Based on your write up, I don't see any mistakes. If you reveal a guarded card and then a treachery, the guarded card just enters the staging area unguarded.

All very true.

For what it's worth. The only time I've ever played a game two-handed was with this quest. I lost quickly and repeatedly on this playing how I normally do. Playing it two-handed I found it very easy. So much so that I called it 'cheap' on SGOYT and felt no sense of achievement, only a resentment at a quest that seems to be designed only to highlight the multiplayer potential of the game for the core set.

Some people disagreed with my 'cheap' assessment, but I stand by it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Say
England
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Appreciate the replies guys - thanks. Was concerned we had made some fatal mistake with the quest given how it played but it really does look like this quest doesn't scale so well for four players.

Obviously the next challenge is to now play it single player single handed! I doubt I will get the same result as my first play any time soon.

New to the game but I really do love the theme and the mechanics. Really interested to see how the game develops and new mechanics are introduced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You will not be disappointed.

Bye
Thanee

P.S. And don't try too hard with Dol Guldur solo... it really is nigh impossible to defeat without a much bigger card pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Played this scenario for the first time last night and was promptly destroyed. Played solo with a tactics/spirit deck with Eowyn, Legolas, and Dunhere. I try not to read up on scenarios prior to my first session with it so as to not spoil the narrative surprises.

Right off the bat, Dunhere seemed the most "expendable" so he became the prisoner. Ouch, that's 1/3 of my party. So Eowyn becomes a dedicated quester and Legolas cleans up the staging area as best he can, I draw Dol Guldur Orcs in the quest phase...that's 2 damage to Eowyn just for the reveal effect. I though she would be ok, since she'd be questing each round and not defending or anything. Even with only one hit point left. Next quest phase I draw Necromancer's Reach (deal 1 damage to each exhausted character). Eowyn falls cry. Legolas equipped with the Blade of Gondolin manages to score another kill that clears a travel location and finishes up quest 1. Eventually I put more progress tokens on quest 2 to free Dunhere. But now with the Nazgul out and his enormous threat of 5, I realize freeing Dunhere at this point may have been a mistake (not that I had much choice with Eowyn fallen).

I only have two willpower between Dunhere and Legolas, not good. Even with two eventual Favors of the Lady to improve will and Gandalf draws to help wittle down enemies, Dunhere eventually gets himself Caught in a Web requiring two resource to ready him. Great scott. Then I draw two dungeon jailers in back to back encounter phases and lose two of my objectives to the encounter deck as I'm consistently failing the quest phases...I'll never find them again! By now the staging area is out of control, I can't afford to ready Dunhere every round, and Legolas is nearly dead. My threat goes the through the roof and both jailers plus the Nazgul join the engagement. My team never had a chance. And it was the most fun I'd had in a solo game in a long time. However, next time I'm trying easy mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rican919 wrote:
Right off the bat, Dunhere seemed the most "expendable" so he became the prisoner. Ouch, that's 1/3 of my party.

As far as I remember it's even worse than that - the prisoner is meant to be chosen randomly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Oops. I guess I broke the rules a little then. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll pay better attention in my next run at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rican919 wrote:
Oops. I guess I broke the rules a little then. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll pay better attention in my next run at it.

No worries - enjoy your next adventure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.