Subject: Some changes in Strategicon? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, it's too late to get block rooms for Gateway in Sept. 2016, so for anyone interested, that's no longer an option.

I recall rooms being cheaper than the $167 to $207 rooms per night. Was there a recent price hike?
http://www.strategicon.net/index.php?goto=venue

And are they really cracking down on outside food in the gaming areas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
The price hike came with or very shortly after the move to the current hotel.

Yes, they are totally cracking down on outside food anywhere other than the small designated eating area.

It's bad enough that the convention is actively looking to move ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
FYI, it's too late to get block rooms for Gateway in Sept. 2016, so for anyone interested, that's no longer an option.

I recall rooms being cheaper than the $167 to $207 rooms per night. Was there a recent price hike?

I would recommend reserving a room as soon as they go on sale. The original price was $105 not sure about those prices above.

And yes, no food in gaming areas. No food at ALL as I recall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
The price hike came with or very shortly after the move to the current hotel.

Yes, they are totally cracking down on outside food anywhere other than the small designated eating area.

Glad they're looking for a new location. Hopefully it's away from all the traffic, and away from the airport.

SlikkRikk wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

I would recommend reserving a room as soon as they go on sale. The original price was $105 not sure about those prices above.

That's what the link takes you to. I believe they're the prices for 2nd wave or beyond blocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
ackmondual wrote:
Glad they're looking for a new location. Hopefully it's away from all the traffic, and away from the airport.

That's...pretty unlikely.

There's a lot of history there; but there are reasons it's held in that area; compelling ones (not least is that a surprising amount of people fly in for the conventions).

ackmondual wrote:
That's what the link takes you to. I believe they're the prices for 2nd wave or beyond blocks.

Yep. And it'll be worse for Orccon, due to the larger, geekier convention that takes place next door on the same weekend. Book early, book often. (Though there's no real excuse for the prices in the block rising like that, except for hotel greed.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend booking as soon as we get the code. You can always cancel later if plans change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ronald fraigun
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SlikkRikk wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

Food was fine as long as it was purchased at the hotel. It's no outside food allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The current venue is horrible at best... Horrible layout, horrible parking. (I preferred the Sheraton, crowded as it was)

I hope the move to a better location happens soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SlikkRikk wrote:
I recommend booking as soon as we get the code. You can always cancel later if plans change.
I've done that with other cons. That got bad enough that they actually posted on their website that if you book a room, please do NOT cancel at the last minute, as that yields empty rooms in their block that they end up having to cover for.

In this case, tis true that if I really wanted to go, I would've been on this more than a month ago (although FWIW, I also forgot about this). I'll either just wait for next year, or just use the $$ I saved to do some other out of town trip instead [shrug]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xeonrf wrote:
SlikkRikk wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

Food was fine as long as it was purchased at the hotel. It's no outside food allowed.

Ron - my understanding is that no food could be in the gaming area at all. Even food from hotel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SlikkRikk wrote:

Ron - my understanding is that no food could be in the gaming area at all. Even food from hotel.

That's insane. I've never been to a game con with those sort of restrictions. Most places have the usual boilerplate about no outside foot. But restricting where you eat even hotel food ? Upon re reading the link above, I think it just bans outside food , with no limit on where you consume hotel food or drink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SlikkRikk wrote:
xeonrf wrote:
SlikkRikk wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

how is this possible? Don't they set up kiosks in that big-ass, open gaming room (where they have minis gaming, paint & take, tournaments, and what's left for open gaming) where they sell nachos, hot dogs, and other such food and snacks? If so, it would seem odd to be able to buy their food, but not eat it there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruel Gaviola
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI This was the sign posted in the Open Gaming area during the May event.

The first two lines read:

"No food is allowed in Open Gaming."

"Drinks are allowed in the Open Gaming area if purchased/supplied by the hotel."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ruelgaviola wrote:

"Drinks are allowed in the Open Gaming area if purchased/supplied by the hotel."

Thanks Ruel! There it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ronald fraigun
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SlikkRikk wrote:
ruelgaviola wrote:

Thanks Ruel! There it is.

Ok that's a big difference from what I remember. Thanks for clearing it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie L
United States
California
flag msg tools
fnord23 wrote:

That's quite interesting. The Hilton is the 2nd largest hotel in LA (the largest, the Westin Bonaventure is a far more expensive hotel). To move, I would think that would mean they would either have to downsize, move way outside of LA (Anaheim?!), move to a convention center, or split across multiple hotels. A different convention I had been watching moved from the Hilton to the Pasadena Convention Center and managed to get them to keep it open until midnight. Splitting across two hotels seems totally impractical on the face of it, but maybe if they kept each type of gaming together and were able to use the hotel's shuttles, it wouldn't be all that bad to split it across two neighboring hotels.

I have been meaning to get to this a Strategicon. Guess, I better find a way to get to one pretty soon or it might be completely different by the time I get there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
badge
They aren't looking to move because of size; but rather due to the hotel being a PITA, and pissing off their customers.

There are options in the airport area. I don't see them moving out of the airport area, or splitting between hotels. But stranger things have happened...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few comments:

1. Parking at Strategicon has a pain for many years - well before the move to the current location. This is because nearly all the hotels in the LAX area have outsourced their parking services. They have chosen to make a significant portion of the parking available to people flying out of LAX (often at prices lower than WallyPark and the other airport parking conglomerates). Being largely a "commuter" convention (meaning people drive home every night), that's a big deal, especially on a holiday weekend.

I'll accept that the parking at the LAX Hilton is far less than ideal, especially if you have to go down to the sixth (bottom) level (it's quite toasty down there).

2. Yeah, the hotel would strongly prefer you eat in the facility. It seems that they expect the same level of patronage from a group of thrifty gamers who commute to the con as they do from a bunch of people in business attire on expense accounts.

As a clarification, the hotel policy does allow us to eat food purchased at the hotel in the gaming areas. What they don't want is us bringing stuff back from nearby fast food restaurants or supermarkets. That policy applies to anyone using the facility - whether it's a wedding, family gathering, quinceañera party, etc. It's something that we'll have to accept regardless of what hotel or convention center it's held in - it's the norm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SlikkRikk wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

I went at the last minute due to being able to split a room. I'm told that many people try to go for the first block, by they sell out "just like that" (*snap*). For most of us, we're probably going to be stuck with $167 to $207 rates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.