The Hotness
Games|People|Company
The Hotness has gone cold...
Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
49 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Can we take a joke ? Apprently they cant in Canada. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love making fun of you nutters in nations that think you have some right to free speech but really don't. Case in point.


Quote:
MONTREAL -- A Quebec comedian is seeking permission to appeal a ruling he must pay $35,000 to a young artist for mocking his appearance and singing.

The Quebec Human Rights Tribunal ruled last month that Mike Ward made discriminatory comments about Jeremy Gabriel's handicap during shows between 2010 and 2013.

Gabriel, who is now 19, has Treacher Collins syndrome, a congenital disorder characterized by craniofacial deformities.
Related Stories

Montreal's Just for Laughs festival fundraising for comedian's legal fees
Quebec comedian ordered to pay artist with facial deformities $35K
Censorship debated as comic faces human rights tribunal for disabled teen jokes

He is well-known in Quebec and sang for the pope in 2006. He has also performed for Celine Dion.

Ward's lawyer, Julius Grey, filed documents in the Quebec Court of Appeal on Thursday and alleges the judge at the human rights tribunal made factual and legal errors in his ruling.

Grey, who is also appealing a decision that Ward must give Gabriel's mother $7,000, says the judge did not take into account that the comedian's comments are protected by freedom of expression.






http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/comedian-seeks-to-appeal-ruling...

It reminds me that you should watch my favorite documentary so far this year.It really goes into some interesting topics on Lenny Bruce and how it was not that long ago that we had some really shitty laws.

http://canwetakeajoke.com/

6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Schneider
Canada
Stittsville
ON
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You have "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" as your motto, ours is known as "Peace, order and good government". Not kidding. Not quite as catchy, but I think it pretty much sums it up.

Interesting factoid, Canada also still has a dormant anti-blasphemy law on the books, again the main concern of which seems to be about keeping the peace:

"296. (1) Every one who publishes a blasphemous libel is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years

(2) It is a question of fact whether or not any matter that is published is a blasphemous libel.
(3) No person shall be convicted of an offence under this section for expressing in good faith and in decent language, or attempting to establish by argument used in good faith and conveyed in decent language, an opinion on a religious subject."

Notice you can debate in good faith as long as you use decent language.

Most Canadians would have no idea of these little tidbits though as we are generally inundated with 'Murican media and culture.

I digress though, if you want a good laugh at how these Human Rights Tribunals, er, Commissions, work check out this hearing of professional right wing Canadian troll Ezra Levant, who gained notoriety for publshing the Danish Mohammed cartoons in his magazine some years ago. I disagree with his antics but this certainly gave me a good laugh.

The Ministry of Truth bureaucrat with a troublesome troll:




1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Schneider
Canada
Stittsville
ON
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

We take your jokes, in the form of every extreme political and religious insanity that wafts up north from the U.S. from time to time, and sometimes threatens to take root here. Whether it's Christian Dominionism or Black Lives Matter.

In return we give you Bieber and Dion.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this like a Tripp joke?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
von wildensee wrote:
Interesting factoid, Canada also still has a dormant anti-blasphemy law on the books, again the main concern of which seems to be about keeping the peace:


So can I report you Canadian screwballs to them for any of your posts on RSP that I find upsetting ?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
von wildensee wrote:

We take your jokes, in the form of every extreme political and religious insanity that wafts up north from the U.S. from time to time, and sometimes threatens to take root here. Whether it's Christian Dominionism or Black Lives Matter.

In return we give you Bieber and Dion.


and Triumph, Rush, and Neil Young. I will keep letting the Whackadoos spew out their babble if you let us keep the music.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Is there a Canadian who can take a joke?

Still waiting to hear from one.


Typically the funny Canadians, what few there are, come here to America where they can be professionally funny and not face jail and enormous fines. The worst thing you get here is a college protest, which is in itself a good source of joke material for Canadians and Americans alike.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
The article says little about the basis for the decision.

"Making discriminatory comments" seems like one of the weirder causes of action I've ever heard of. I expect there is more to it than that.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Is there a Canadian who can take a joke?

Ask Jerry Sadowitzdevil
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes there is nothing funnier then mocking the disabled.

Next they will not allow jokes about Kikes or Niggers, or rape or 11/9 (you know when 3,00 IRA fundraisers were killed by Arab freedom FIGHTERS).

DON@T THESE PEOPLE HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOUR?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
In the US, you are allowed to criticize professional performers (which it looks like the boy is) and other famous people. That's why those people have to have a very thick skin. But lawsuits like this, still occasionally get into the US appeals courts. So lets give the Canadian appeals courts a chance to do the right thing.

BTW, I believe in reasonable limits to speech and I think the fine is wrong. Once the boy becomes a famous performer, he is fair game. You could argue that the joke is in bad taste but it shouldn't be fined.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Yes there is nothing funnier then mocking the disabled.

Next they will not allow jokes about Kikes or Niggers, or rape or 11/9 (you know when 3,00 IRA fundraisers were killed by Arab freedom FIGHTERS).

DON@T THESE PEOPLE HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOUR?


It might be in bad taste, it might not be funny, bu God damn it is our right in 'Merica to make fun of whoever we want. God bless the USA!
And this case is not in America.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BFoy wrote:
I believe in reasonable limits to speech


In your world, who gets to decide whats reasonable ?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
As long as Tom Connors is up for trade we can talk.

Unfortunately, ol' Tom gave his last stomp a few years ago.

Guess negotiations are over.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Genghis wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
As long as Tom Connors is up for trade we can talk.

Unfortunately, ol' Tom gave his last stomp a few years ago.

Guess negotiations are over.


Sonny Bono is dead and he's still up for trade.
Cher might as well be.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Genghis wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
As long as Tom Connors is up for trade we can talk.

Unfortunately, ol' Tom gave his last stomp a few years ago.

Guess negotiations are over.


Sonny Bono is dead and he's still up for trade.
Cher might as well be.


And I'll throw in Slater as a sweetener.
Do not care how sweet I am, Cher is still a zombie.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's really bad taste to make fun of people who are disadvantaged under no fault of their own, but free speech should let people do it. When you target one individual (especially repeatedly over a three year period), that betrays what a grade-A shitbag you are. Then I think there should be recourse for the victim, not government fines, but civil recourse. Slander, harassment, verbal assault, something that the kid and his family could sue for. Getting the government involved at a punitive level has bad consequences and should be avoided.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
I think it's really bad taste to make fun of people who are disadvantaged under no fault of their own, but free speech should let people do it. When you target one individual (especially repeatedly over a three year period), that betrays what a grade-A shitbag you are. Then I think there should be recourse for the victim, not government fines, but civil recourse. Slander, harassment, verbal assault, something that the kid and his family could sue for. Getting the government involved at a punitive level has bad consequences and should be avoided.
Like in this case, where it was awarded to the victim?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Like in this case, where it was awarded to the victim?
For the most part, yes. But I am leery of "tribunals" to determine extent of reparation. To judge something is fine, but the actual dollar amounts I'm uncomfortable with. I'd rather have a jury of peers, but I suppose this setup has some compromise value for tort reform.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
slatersteven wrote:
Yes there is nothing funnier then mocking the disabled.

Next they will not allow jokes about Kikes or Niggers, or rape or 11/9 (you know when 3,00 IRA fundraisers were killed by Arab freedom FIGHTERS).

DON@T THESE PEOPLE HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOUR?


I don't know about nothing funnier but they can surely be funny as anyone who's heard the one about Helen Keller falling down the well can confirm.

But I''ll bet 10 gg there is more to it than a guy telling a disabled joke.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
galad2003 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Yes there is nothing funnier then mocking the disabled.

Next they will not allow jokes about Kikes or Niggers, or rape or 11/9 (you know when 3,00 IRA fundraisers were killed by Arab freedom FIGHTERS).

DON@T THESE PEOPLE HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOUR?


It might be in bad taste, it might not be funny, bu God damn it is our right in 'Merica to make fun of whoever we want. God bless the USA!
And this case is not in America.


Which is why the US is better and Canada sucks. Christ you are dense.
Which is why you have Donny and Clinton as your choices for president.

Yes I suppose the USA is one big joke.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
myopia wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Yes there is nothing funnier then mocking the disabled.

Next they will not allow jokes about Kikes or Niggers, or rape or 11/9 (you know when 3,00 IRA fundraisers were killed by Arab freedom FIGHTERS).

DON@T THESE PEOPLE HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOUR?


I don't know about nothing funnier but they can surely be funny as anyone who's heard the one about Helen Keller falling down the well can confirm.

But I''ll bet 10 gg there is more to it than a guy telling a disabled joke.
I am sure that those who told nigger jokes thought they were funny too.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
slatersteven wrote:
myopia wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Yes there is nothing funnier then mocking the disabled.

Next they will not allow jokes about Kikes or Niggers, or rape or 11/9 (you know when 3,00 IRA fundraisers were killed by Arab freedom FIGHTERS).

DON@T THESE PEOPLE HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOUR?


I don't know about nothing funnier but they can surely be funny as anyone who's heard the one about Helen Keller falling down the well can confirm.

But I''ll bet 10 gg there is more to it than a guy telling a disabled joke.
I am sure that those who told nigger jokes thought they were funny too.



Presumably.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
myopia wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
myopia wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Yes there is nothing funnier then mocking the disabled.

Next they will not allow jokes about Kikes or Niggers, or rape or 11/9 (you know when 3,00 IRA fundraisers were killed by Arab freedom FIGHTERS).

DON@T THESE PEOPLE HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOUR?


I don't know about nothing funnier but they can surely be funny as anyone who's heard the one about Helen Keller falling down the well can confirm.

But I''ll bet 10 gg there is more to it than a guy telling a disabled joke.
I am sure that those who told nigger jokes thought they were funny too.



Presumably.
So the question then becomes is it only funny because you are not the target and laughing at someone elses misfortune?

Would it be funny if you were the target, "Ohh HO HO HO ys I love that joke about me"?

It's easy to say "but humour" when you are not subjected to ridicule and insulting jokes your whole life just becasue of who you are.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
It's easy to say "but humour" when you are not subjected to ridicule and insulting jokes your whole life just because of who you are.


nope, funny is funny when you have a good sense of humor.

2 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.