Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Shurig
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'Ole Pete Alexander gave up 5 HR's in only 6 IP? Wow! He gave up only 3 the entire season in 376 IP. And the Hitless Wonders White Sox of 1917 hit only 18 HR's all year as a team. How realistically are the stats incorporated into the SI Baseball game? Would the stats achieved be realistic throughout the course of a season, or is this simply an abnormal game which happens now and then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think those are official charts from the game (maybe the OP can clarify). I owned this game once, and it only had a bunch HOF level players, no actual teams.

I thought stats were pretty accurate, allowing for the fact that it is superstars vs. superstars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to question whether this is a rules issue. There's a result off a pitcher's card that is (HR). This comes up a lot for Alexander (and it doesn't exist in the original game).

It means: roll off the batters card*, if it's an HR, then change to single. Otherwise, treat as whatever it says. Possibly this is being misinterpreted as a straight HR result.

*The way the game is played, you roll off the pitcher first and either get a result or blank. Blank means roll off the hitter's card.

Not trying to criticize the OP, as the session report was interesting nonetheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer99 wrote:
'Ole Pete Alexander gave up 5 HR's in only 6 IP? Wow! He gave up only 3 the entire season in 376 IP. And the Hitless Wonders White Sox of 1917 hit only 18 HR's all year as a team. How realistically are the stats incorporated into the SI Baseball game? Would the stats achieved be realistic throughout the course of a season, or is this simply an abnormal game which happens now and then?

If it's anything like the SI football games, there's a chance of an overriding defense result, which means that somebody who never hit a home run could hit one off the defensive result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
blackwatch wrote:
The charts are fan-made...

Link?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
blackwatch wrote:
The charts are fan-made...

Link?

I believe it is this.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/3117/teamsofthepast-c...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Black
United States
Walpole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played more than 2 complete seasons of this game. I found that the power numbers(HR, RBI) were very accurate. I believe Ted Williams led the league with 44 home runs. I found that batting averages were too low, but maybe it makes sense when you consider that every pitcher in the game is an all-star. Ted Williams hit only .278 which was among the league leaders. Conversely, Luis Aparicio barely hit above the Mendoza line.

Pitching stats were about what I thought they should be, except for strikeouts which were quite low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the creator of those charts and it really depends upon what you mean by "realistic results."

The charts were created for a tournament at the WBC and were therefore normalized so that sluggers from the past (like Happy Felsch) are equivalent to sluggers of any era. In fact, a guy with half-a-dozen dingers in the dead ball era is probably more proficient at hitting homers than Barry Bonds (once you normalize his numbers downward to the mean).

So, you should not expect to see results as though you were transported to, say, 1916 (splitting the difference of these two teams years). But if you could magically transport them both to the game as it was played in about 1973, then the results would be more appropriate. :)

That said, somewhere I created a conversion chart so that you could take a normalized dead ball era team and migrate results back to their original status. It's cumbersome and not a lot of fun to play, but that would allow you to turn those homers into singles or even outs (I really don't remember much about the era conversion charts from the UATAS set).

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.