Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Taylor
United States
Somerset
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. When is the retail release? I seen it is out in Canada first (as in now?) what's up?
2. Is it even worth it? I see this game has around a dozen expansions already. Splitting the game up like this and selling it out is a strategy I can't stand, I'm sure many others feel the same. What even comes in the base game??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
spunXtain wrote:
1. When is the retail release? I seen it is out in Canada first (as in now?) what's up?
2. Is it even worth it? I see this game has around a dozen expansions already. Splitting the game up like this and selling it out is a strategy I can't stand, I'm sure many others feel the same. What even comes in the base game??

I don't think it's out in Canada yet. At least, nowhere I shop online or local.

Base game is one strike team and two sins. Plenty of gameplay there.

The kick-starter had one "ks exclusive team." Two monsters. Six tiles and 2 cloth bags.

Honestly, the sheer amount of expansions you can purchase if you enjoy the game, you may never notice these exclusives "missing"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
spunXtain wrote:
Splitting the game up like this and selling it out is a strategy I can't stand, I'm sure many others feel the same.

I don't. If you shoved all the expansion content of Others (or Dominion, or Magic, or Eldritch Horror, or...) into the core box, you're going to jack up the price into the *hundreds* of dollars. I know some base games lack content (such as starter sets for miniature wargames that don't have enough points of units for tournament play), but KS lack of content is a *perception* since you see all those KS goodies others are getting. Wait for the reviews and comments once the game has had a few months into the market to get a better idea of replayability. You may be right, but the game hasn't even hit retail yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My ks is on the way. It weighs 25 pounds. How would you suggest they fit all of that in one base box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got mine in the Base and Apocalypse expansion box pretty easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
VaeVictis666 wrote:
My ks is on the way. It weighs 25 pounds. How would you suggest they fit all of that in one base box?

Maybe by using a large, strong box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a TON of minis in this game. I think breaking it out in "bite-sized" chunks makes it a little easier on many who do not want to jump in wholesale. I'm not saying it isn't a bit of business either though.

The core has two sins, The Hellfire Club and a full team of heroes. It's quite a bit of value in the core set alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lil Keezy
msg tools
The retail price if they put everything in one box would be astronomical. Cthulhu Wars retail price is $300, I believe The Others actually has more miniatures, and more unique individual minis (if you get EVERYTHING.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JDK002 wrote:
The retail price if they put everything in one box would be astronomical. Cthulhu Wars retail price is $300, I believe The Others actually has more miniatures, and more unique individual minis (if you get EVERYTHING.)

It does. But they are much smaller as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lil Keezy
msg tools
True, but it's making the model cast that's the expensive part. Once the cast is made its comparatively cheap to produce the models if I'm not mistaken. Though the size of the models certainly drives the price up a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
spunXtain wrote:

I see this game has around a dozen expansions already. Splitting the game up like this and selling it out is a strategy I can't stand, I'm sure many others feel the same. What even comes in the base game??

In the base game you get 7 heroes, 2 sins (at 8 minis each, with... 10 cards each?), and Hellfire Club members (5 minis and cards, IIRC), and 2 Acolyte sets (6 figures each, with boards) along with assorted tiles, smaller boards, cards, dice, tokens, and a rulebook. Just minis alone, you have 40. And some of them are big, and many are unique sculpts.

Honestly, at $100 MSRP I think the core set may be overpriced. -But- I also suspect we're seeing an inflation spike in the board game biz that will be carrying on through the next year or two. $100 core sets are the new standard I fear.

That said....

If you add -just- the 5 other sins to the core, you're adding 40 more minis, 50 more cards, 15 more dice, and 5 more boards. Realistically, what's a good price for all of that? $60? $80? Plus, I'm sure that while some people -hate- having to buy each sin separately, some people would rather spend $20 a pop to slowly build up their collections than $100 all at once.

And then there's the extra "squad" boxes, which come with more heroes, more Acolytes, more tiles, and more upgrade cards (and more dice?). $28 isn't cheap, but what's a fair price for that?

I mean, ultimately you can go and buy (well, pre-order) everything available at retail right now. It'll cost you about $300+ to do it, but you can do it. Splitting it up makes it easier for people to do this in pieces.

Now, I figure there's some bad blood regarding the fact that KS backers got $305 worth of stuff for $100 (the core, the extra 5 sins, a team box, and another box of just exclusives), and I don't have a solution there. Honestly, I'm not even sure how much it's a problem (CMoN keeps making money doing what they do, so it's not -their- problem).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game has plenty of replayability. Once it hits retail it'll probably be around $60-$80. In my opinion it is definitely worth it, I've already had 4 plays of this game, and I still haven't touched any of the expansion stuff. The only thing I would consider getting is maybe a team box that includes the extra tiles, acolytes, and upgrades, and or maybe the apocolypse expansion. If you paint it is also a must, and even if you don't, why dont you give it a shot and try painting them? It can be extremely rewarding and a calming experience.

And they're not really splitting the game up, these are just extras that add variability, and replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.