Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
http://grogheads.com/?p=12443

Quote:
This past summer, I spent a week at a local game store (shout out to The Gamer’s Armory in Cary, NC) running a one week day camp for gamers. This was not a GrogHeads-sponsored event, just Brant renting out some space from a local game store for a week of summer camp for kids, in an air conditioned and weatherproof environment. The focus was on playing games – as many as they could in the week they were there – with an intent of trying a lot of new stuff.

We got a late start advertising the camp, in large part because we got a late start even deciding that we were going to do the camp. For future summers, assuming I’m not working a day job somewhere, the plan is to start advertising for the camp much, much earlier. Like March. Seriously. Parents around here get their kids scheduled out for the summer by the time the kids are on Spring Break, so that they can arrange family trips, parent vacation requests, etc well before Memorial Day hits.

We leaned heavily on social media, in large part because we expected people to register based on personal recommendations at the late date we were kicking off. We plastered Facebook with info, and sent out emails through the store’s email list. The late start prevented us from being able to get info out through the schools using gamer-friendly teachers as a conduit. Again, with an earlier plan for even holding the camp, a more thorough advertising / awareness plan can be put in place, using a variety of channels to get the word out.

2000 or so more words at the link above...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was interested in your camp, but it did not sync with my son's track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad Thoughts wrote:
I was interested in your camp, but it did not sync with my son's track.

Glad you were interested! If the job situation allows, next summer we're going to see about running several different weeks so people can try a few. In addition to scheduling issues this summer, we didn't want to over-commit to a bunch of weeks not knowing how it would be received.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.