Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlie 40
United States
in the flight path of McGuire AFB
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me preface this by saying I think this is a great game. But, I am having trouble grasping one rule.

Infantry targeted while moving in the open suffer a +4 modifier that is added to the firer's FP. Ok, I get that. The Extended example of play on page 17 makes it clear.

My confusion lies with the use of the modifier for moving vehicles. The PAC states the modifier is 0 for a moving vehicle targeted by a gun or vehicle. Page 7 of the rules state the modifier isn't applied when a vehicle moves less than 1/3 of its movement allowance and employs Op Fire. The rules on page 7 go on to say, "If this Vehicle later used Op Fire, it would NOT get the +4 modifier for moving to a new hex. Move Counter - After a Vehicle completes its movement and is marked as Used (not if it is marked Op Fire), it is also marked with a Move counter if the Vehicle moved to a new hex. This represents that the Vehicle recently changed positions and is harder to hit because it forces any prospective firer (except Close Assault and SATWs) to pass a Proficency check with a -1 modifier."

For me, this is a muddle. Would someone please explain this to me? shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a different +4

For the infantry moving in the open, close up people shooting at them get +4 to their FP. This is located on the front side of the PAC, near the bottom left.

For Vehicles, after they move, if they fire at the end of their move, they get a -4 to their Proficiency (much less likely of hitting a target if firing after move). This is located on the back side of the PAC, near the bottom left. If the vehicles instead do a caterpillar advance where they move less than 1/3 of their MP, they can instead be marked Op Fire. In this case, if they Op Fire later in the turn, they will not get the -4 to their Proficiency.

Historical note, the two major ways that vehicles coordinated their advance was with:

- Leapfrog tactics: The lead elements would go into overwatch (marked Op Fire) while the rear elements would move ahead, whereupon they would switch rolls.

- Caterpillar tactics: All elements would advance very slowly, essentially being in Op Fire mode as they advanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet-Gen. Mattis
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, Jim, pretty sure that you got bit by the proofreading bug again. Your explanation is dead on, but the v2.1 rules on p7 (1st para near top of right hand column, last sentence right before MOVE COUNTER) still list the modifier for vehicles as +4 for trying to fire after moving. I think the sign should be flipped on p7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. I just added a note to flip the modifier in the rules.

I feared this happening.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1380938/difference-betw...

About half way down I list it as the reason I was resistant to make the switch.

However, now that the switch is done, I don't regret it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Hidious
Singapore
flag msg tools
If you ever plan to do a V2.2, send me the rules for proofreading.
I am not particularly intuitive/astute but more of a plodding methodical nature.
Use me as a benchmark.
If I can digest the ruleset I assure you >95% of your gamers will get it smoothly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie 40
United States
in the flight path of McGuire AFB
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ron, you hit the nail on the head. That was where I got lost. ALL GOOD, THANKS FOLKS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Darth, I will take you up on that. I look for as much feedback as possible on my games. Feel free to remind me the next time a BoB game is about to come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.